Hello new board- goodbye new board

Started by Bud Wiser, November 13, 2006, 09:24:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donagh

Mike and Bud have a good point. Nobody wants to be hoking around for stuff that has dropped off the first page. Having a few different sections would allow posts (especially those concerning national GAA) to be around longer and give more people an opportunity to contribute.

Small Pebble

tayto

I agree a bit of structure would be a good idea, some threads vanish too quickly just because they're not ulster football, not blaming anyone but maybe a seperate hurling section would be a good idea. Also maybe split club chat into provinces.

dubnut

Some sort of control is deffo needed, that clown "the Gael" is starting multiple threads re Mayobridge.
I dont even think he is genuine but is pissing off a lot of people.
It just takes one of two trouble makers to take over the entire front page, and many potential posters dont look past that.
Otherwise i like the new site and special "sci fi" features!
DUBNUT!

Lecale2

Admin can certainly sort this out by using the merge facility. Breaking club discussion into different provences is a good idea and would remove a fair few threads from page 1. If he doesn't act on Thegael soon the Board will be a mess.

Lecale2

Admin has just used the merge. Well done.

the bucket

mr crossbar, whats wrong with a mayo hurling thread

thegael

if multiple threads appear just look at the viewership and if it is interesting or popular keep it if not merge. thegaels posts are very popular!

the gael takes no prisoners!

dubnut

"thegaels posts are very popular!"
Thats becuase people like to tell you that your a thick ****!
Pardon the language, but you earned it.

brokencrossbar1

Nothing per se, bucket, it is just that the grief that has previosly been given out to Ulster posters about multiple threads and Myao just sort of slip under the radar.  I am not referring to Mayo hurling a la McGeeney, just simply to make the point that we have chips on our shoulders in the north about criticisma dn we wished the chips were shared out to other offending counties.

Moderator, like the old thread merging trick on the Ulster thread, now put all them mayo ones in the one box too ;)

Hardy

This board is finished!

Farrandeelin

But crossbar, us Mayo ones never bothered criticising the Northern based posts.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Star Spangler

Anyone who's been around this board for a while (6 years in my case) will know that it's success owes a lot to the fact that there's been very little intervention from admins.  The day someone starts deciding what is an "acceptable" thread and what isn't is the day the board will start losing contributors.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Bud Wiser on November 13, 2006, 09:24:24 AM
The first page of threads on what is supposed to be a GAA Discussion Board as opposed to free club websites reads as follows;
Ulster Club Championships, Ulster Club SFC, Donegal Club Jurling and Football, Down Club Hurling and Football, Tyrone Club Hurling and Football,Armagh Club Hurling and Football, Antrim Hurling and Football, Derry Club..... and on and on and on.

I thought the idea of the board was for general GAA Discussion.  Fair enough, the thread Ulster Club Championships makes sense but wht have we to suffer add ons like Ulster Club SFC and on and on.  I wouldn't mind only TG4 showed the Errigal Ciaran game yesterday and it was like watching paint dry.  Quite frankly I am sick of all the nordies taking over the board.

:D :D

Bud - time to get your trawler out of dry dock - you're like a man that's bored!   ;)

thewobbler

I ask again - what does Bud want us to talk about? I'll append to this, what on earth does Kerry Mike want us to talk about? For example, during the last couple of weeks of the old board, one of the most popular threads was "do you prefer to wear one pair of socks or two?" If that's the type of "general talk" you fellas want, well please turn the lights off after you leave. Give me a match report from an Armagh Harps under-14 friendly any day.

There are three posters on the board who are genuinely intent on having their every thought read, and as such they open a new thread every time to achieve this aim - theGael, Tony Fearon and, to a lesser extent, realredhandfan1. Please do not tar Ulster fans as a result of their actions. You'll find neatly condensed threads on Down, Derry, Armagh, Antrim and Tyrone club football on this board, and that's where you'll find the majority of posters from those counties posting mostly in those threads.

We have a choice with the aformentioned trio, we either ignore them, or we play into their hands.   

Bottom line though gents is that you can't call for changes to make the board more interesting and highbrow unless you are going to start the sea change by posting more interesting and highbrow articles yourself. The trouble, you will no doubt find (if not already), is that having posted on a GAA messsageboard for years as you both have, general topics to talk about dry up - but club and county situations continue to change, if only slightly, on a daily basis.