Some people have nothing better to do

Started by Boolerhead Mel, September 12, 2008, 10:51:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Over the Bar

QuoteA civil servant has been ordered to remove a Tyrone GAA flag from her car after a complaint from a colleague in Strabane.

What the BBC report failed to report was that the complaint was made by an Armagh fan!

armaghniac

Quotea mate of mine had a jordanstown bag

So you can't bring a university related item into the office?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

his holiness nb

FFS the team is playing in an all Ireland final, if you cant hang the car flag out then, when can you??

There should be a law where the people who are complained about in these circumstances get to slap the complainer full force across the face, in front of a judge, who then tells then to feck away off and dont be silly.
Ask me holy bollix

heganboy

NIFAN- you get a pass for your mouse mat- you've just got married, its important that there are still places in the world where you can have an opinion, (I'd be happier if it annoyed Tristan)

Ziggy- even Belgians don't hang Belgian flags, they're not even sure they still want to be a country

Donagh- you and representatives of 31 counties

In fact I'm starting to think that flags should get some sort of legal status where they cant be touched, however you may hang another flag in front of them- that way whatever dumb asses want to spend more money than the other dumbasses can go for it, I may want to buy a flag manufacturer before this happens though...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

nifan

The worst case of this level of "offense taken" I ever heard was the boys wearing NI tops in I believe the Crown before a game.

Someone had spotted them on the webcam and had complained - the boys where made cover them up!

his holiness nb

Quote from: nifan on September 12, 2008, 01:47:03 PM
The worst case of this level of "offense taken" I ever heard was the boys wearing NI tops in I believe the Crown before a game.

Someone had spotted them on the webcam and had complained - the boys where made cover them up!

Theres lots of pubs in Dublin that ban football tops of any kind.

Ask me holy bollix

nifan

yes hhn, but this place didnt have a ban. It only took action when somebody was offended via a webcam

Donagh

An Fear Rua

Quote from: heganboy on September 12, 2008, 01:35:43 PM

Ziggy- even Belgians don't hang Belgian flags, they're not even sure they still want to be a country

explain then why most of Brussels have a belgian flag hanging from their balcony or stuck up in the window?? I saw them on the way to work everyday whil i was there (Feb - June)?
Its Grim up North

Hardy

I think the flags and emblems legislation should be re-thought from a different angle completely. They could adopt the recommendation often used here when people complain about things they saw that they didn't like - if you don't like it don't look at it. Except take it all the way and instead of it being an offence to display a flag or emblem, it should be an offence to look at it. That would put an instant end to complaints like this.

T Fearon

As I posted on the GAA Board this morning a car went up the main street in Portadown this morning displaying a Tyrone flag. The driver thus achieved the unique scenario of uniting the entire community of Portadown, disgusting the town's overwhelming unionist population and its Armagh loving nationalist populace alike ;D

nrico2006

QuoteI think the real issue is the welfare of the staff, how over worked would you be working in a benefits office in Strabane ?

I was wondering how long it would take Minder to come up with another piece of his unique style of humour.

As for the Tyrone flag hanging from a car in a car-park, the person who complained is obviously a biggoted hoore and to say they were offended is pure rubbish.  Strabane would be covered in the flags and I would say the Polish even understand it as a sporting flag.  I wish whoever complained would just clear off as a town like Strabane would be 100% behind the Tyrone team and subsequent public support via flag or jersey.  If the person doesn't like it they should clear back off to Newbuildings or Donemana and get up to their usual carry on.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

dublinfella

Quote from: his holiness nb on September 12, 2008, 01:23:19 PM
FFS the team is playing in an all Ireland final, if you cant hang the car flag out then, when can you??

There should be a law where the people who are complained about in these circumstances get to slap the complainer full force across the face, in front of a judge, who then tells then to feck away off and dont be silly.

Thats not really the point. Republicans pushed hard for 'neutral workplaces' and it cuts both ways. Yes, giving out about a flag on a car is vexatious, but to the letter of the law the complainant is correct.

Neutral worplaces are not just about themmuns covering up their emblems.

lurgan-gael

Common sense should prevail. Its only a wee flag ffs, the person probably has kids who wanted it on the car. I can mind my parents putting all the gear on our car in 02 for my bro's & sis they all loved it. There's no alterior motive, no sinister attempt to offend anyone, its a wee flag sitting in a carpark (workplace???), if someone finds a problem with that then they need take a brave look at themselves. Some people just want to be offended.

Fear ón Srath Bán

It's pathetic. Straight from the Sammy Wilson book of mutual tolerance and accommodation.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...