Ireland V Austrailia International Rules Official Thread 2008

Started by BallyhaiseMan, September 11, 2008, 04:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Quote from: ExiledGael on October 24, 2008, 02:45:44 PM
Spot on AFS. Did you watch the game Orangeman?
Anyone who gave that game a chance couldn't fail to have enjoyed it.  Lot of crap talked on here and the score thread during the game by people clearly not interested in it, talking about how crap Ciaran McKeever was while the Aussie commentators thought he was one of the stars and went through more ball than anyone. It is a worthwhile exercise and a good reward for our greatest players. Coulter's mark at the start, Cavanagh's goal and Gallagher's save were all outstanding. Glynn was superb and this game has probably secured the long term future of the game, played in the right way and the GAA could learn a hell of a lot from this in terms of officiating.

Greatest ????

You're having a laugh - most of the greatest players didn't even go to the trials and since when can you include a goalkeeper who hasn't played for years as one of the greats ( no disrespect to the goalie who had a great game ).

ExiledGael

Quote from: orangeman on October 24, 2008, 02:57:42 PM
Quote from: ExiledGael on October 24, 2008, 02:45:44 PM
Spot on AFS. Did you watch the game Orangeman?
Anyone who gave that game a chance couldn't fail to have enjoyed it.  Lot of crap talked on here and the score thread during the game by people clearly not interested in it, talking about how crap Ciaran McKeever was while the Aussie commentators thought he was one of the stars and went through more ball than anyone. It is a worthwhile exercise and a good reward for our greatest players. Coulter's mark at the start, Cavanagh's goal and Gallagher's save were all outstanding. Glynn was superb and this game has probably secured the long term future of the game, played in the right way and the GAA could learn a hell of a lot from this in terms of officiating.

Greatest ????

You're having a laugh - most of the greatest players didn't even go to the trials and since when can you include a goalkeeper who hasn't played for years as one of the greats ( no disrespect to the goalie who had a great game ).

Most of our top players who could be there were there. Who are the top players in the game right now? Cavanagh? Donaghy? O'Mahony? Gooch/Dooher maybe but they're too fragile for this. Most of them were there.
You've called for the games to be scrapped OM after today, why?

Zapatista

Quote from: AFS on October 24, 2008, 02:41:28 PM
Whinge Whinge Whinge! What you whingers don't realise is that you don't speak for everyone in the GAA.

You are the one trying to shut me up AFS. You seem to think my opinion doesn't count and that I should just ignore it so ye can all agree in peace. I do realise that I don't speak for the the GAA but you must realise I do speak as a GAA man.

Corn, when the GAA start promoting and organising cricket matches you can be sure I will start a thread.

orangeman

Is the Railway cup being televised live on RTE television tomorrow ?

I'd love to watch some great players in action in this ?

Does anybody know what time it's on at ?

As we have a league game tomorrow, I can't attend, otherwise, I'd loved to have driven down to Cork.

corn02

Zaptista, it is not a GAA match. It is a hybrid game that is a different sport to Aussie Rules and Galeic Football. I doubt you find rounder very enjoyable, but it is promoted by the GAA, why not go on about that?

magickingdom

zapa, there will never be a meaningful international outlet for gaelic football.. ever. same with afl. what this game does is give gaa players the opportunity to represent their country just like the guys that play most other sports. surely you can live with that?

magickingdom

Quote from: orangeman on October 24, 2008, 03:16:34 PM

As we have a league game tomorrow, I can't attend, otherwise, I'd loved to have driven down to Cork.

get on to whoever arranged that league game ;)

ExiledGael

Did you go to Croke Park for the finals last year?

orangeman

Quote from: ExiledGael on October 24, 2008, 03:21:02 PM

Did you go to Croke Park for the finals last year?

Did indeed - very enjoyable experience under the lights !

Zapatista

Quote from: magickingdom on October 24, 2008, 03:18:55 PM
zapa, there will never be a meaningful international outlet for gaelic football.. ever. same with afl. what this game does is give gaa players the opportunity to represent their country just like the guys that play most other sports. surely you can live with that?

Thats keeping up appearences I don't care much for. Like I said before you don't need a green jersey on your back to represent Ireland. A fermanagh club player training in a Wicklow jersey is as good a representation of your country you can get.

orangeman

Quote from: magickingdom on October 24, 2008, 03:20:33 PM

We did - no luck !  ;)

get on to whoever arranged that league game ;)

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: magickingdom on October 24, 2008, 03:18:55 PM
zapa, there will never be a meaningful international outlet for gaelic football.. ever.

That, mk, is something that we will never know without actually giving it a genuine and wholehearted effort. We have the global diaspora, and we now have many nationalities besides ourselves playing Gaelic Games, principally football. And sometimes there are Gaelic Games that don't even involve a single Irish player.

Yet, we do nothing to factor those elements in to, or to promote, the internationalisation of our games. Nothing, nada, zilch. No imagination, no effort, no thought, no chance. Instead we demote our Inter-Provincials, with the cream of players, as far down the register as they can go and elevate this mongrel of a game than can never go anywhere else to a position of untouchable pre-eminence. Shameful.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Zapatista

Quote from: corn02 on October 24, 2008, 03:17:55 PM
Zaptista, it is not a GAA match. It is a hybrid game that is a different sport to Aussie Rules and Galeic Football. I doubt you find rounder very enjoyable, but it is promoted by the GAA, why not go on about that?

Thats part of my point. 

If rounders ever becomes a threat to, or takes away from our other games with the weak excuses which are used to justify this crap I will start a thread on it too.

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: Zapatista on October 24, 2008, 03:52:34 PM
Quote from: corn02 on October 24, 2008, 03:17:55 PM

Thats part of my point. 

If rounders ever becomes a threat to, or takes away from our other games with the weak excuses which are used to justify this crap I will start a thread on it too.

What are you scared of?

rosnarun

the biggest thing these games have to teach us is our players are not as sharp or as fit as they should be. the number of times an irish player was caught in possesion was shocking. dispite higher skill level most are not able to operate at the spped necessary for a game with a genuine tackle. Im thinking abut Canty reilly bradley and even though he had a great game S macdonell who did his best work with the ball out of hand.
Kavanagh and the tyrone boys  seemed to love it and I thought it was interesting that it was mackeever whio was instigating the professional killing of the game towards the end , you never expect such cynicism out of an armagh lad :'(
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere