Ireland V Austrailia International Rules Official Thread 2008

Started by BallyhaiseMan, September 11, 2008, 04:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

JMohan

Doherty has a new job I think
How did they pick the 3 most yellow of Monaghan footballers & Bernard Brogan & Seán Johnston? Why not McCabe, Lennon or Clerekin at least they're big men?
We'll get hammered at this rate

Main Street

You're talking nonsense.
No such thing as a yellow Monaghan footballer.

clarshack

personally, i feel we are going to get absolutely tanked in this again. the quality of players just aint there anymore. if you think back to the series from say 1998 to 2003 the quality of irish players was very high i.e. john mcdermott, peter canavan, anthony tohill, kieran mcgeeney, graham geraghty etc. who is there of this quality now?

gaagaa

Quote from: Gnevin on September 13, 2008, 04:23:41 PM
Among those taking part were: Kevin McCloy (Derry

thats hard to justify - he was shite for derry all year and wasnt even the best full back fior derry
he will be humiliated if selected - his ball handling and districution is shite

JMohan

Quote from: gaagaa on September 13, 2008, 09:48:34 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on September 13, 2008, 04:23:41 PM
Among those taking part were: Kevin McCloy (Derry

thats hard to justify - he was shite for derry all year and wasnt even the best full back fior derry
he will be humiliated if selected - his ball handling and districution is shite

This is Aussie Rules not Gaelic football
He's a massive man, strong as an Ox and well suited to this 'game'.
He was deservedly the All Star Full Back last year (and should have been the year before too) - you don't become a bad player over-night.
He was carrying serious injuries all year, which you apparrently know nothing about.
The story in the paper about the finger injury is something no other footballer I know would have gone through.

INDIANA

different game.this game isn't about ability or talent , this is about picking the 25 biggest and most powerful athletes in gaelic football and getting them ready and prepared to be capable of protecting themselves and if necessary for kicking the shite out of the aussies. a stupid game foisted upon us once more. does someone have to get seriously hurt before the penny drops.

Jinxy

Jaysus lads, there's a mouth watering All-Ireland final in a weeks time. Club championships coming to a close all over the country. Have ye nothing better to be talkiing about than this oul guff?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

away on at wit ye

get kevin mc gourty and james loughrey from antrim in the panel, fine atheletes and footballers who won't take the bully boy shite tactics from the aussies

Doire abú

Kevin McGourty is a fine athlete, and a good footballer with a terrific football brain. But you know he's bound to start a fight with his own team mates a full two weeks down under.

HeaveHo

Quote from: away on at wit ye on September 14, 2008, 08:57:03 PM
get kevin mc gourty and james loughrey from antrim in the panel, fine atheletes and footballers who won't take the bully boy shite tactics from the aussies

There shouldn't be any "bully boy shite" in the upcoming series - the AFL is very keen for the series to continue and will be insisting that the Aussie playes refrain from anything that is likely to upset the Irish lads including stuff that is part and parcel of AFL but not necessarily GAA.

The Aussie team will largely be a team of mid size speedy skilful types with a couple of tall lads for marking targets. Whatever team the Irish send will need to be quick (they generally are) - while it is nice to have a few gorillas handy for the rough stuff they will be largely useless methinks.

JMohan

I think you need to have a few gorillas to have handy regardless ... what happens if the whole thing deteriorates? Roll over and cry like last year?

Glensman

They actually could do worse than look at McGourty and Loughrey and I am trying not to be biased here.
McGourty if he kept his trap shut and attitude at home would be a great asset...marking, passing.
Loughrey is a great athlete with good hands and can run all day. Exactly the kind of player we need.

Ireland need to realise that we will not outtackle Australia - its what they do, they are professionals. We need to out-think, out-manoeuvre and work round the Aussies.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.