Ireland V Austrailia International Rules Official Thread 2008

Started by BallyhaiseMan, September 11, 2008, 04:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

antoinse

Paddy Downey was one of the best GAA reporters every to raise a pen.

Model Hammer

When is the game on again? I want to make sure my boy doesn't stumble upon it on the telly or in the papers. Will there be highlights? At least then I'll know if it was anything less than a complete fiasco and might watch the edited version.

Our Nail Loney

Copied from the odds thread....

Australia v Ireland - 1st Test 24 Oct 11:30 - 1st Ireland Goalscorer - 1st Test

Stevie Mc Donnell    9/2
Sean Cavanagh    11/2
Michael Meehan    11/2
Paddy Bradley    6/1
Kieran Donaghy    7/1
Benny Coulter    10/1
Colm Begley    12/1
Leighton Glynn    16/1
Ciaran Lyng    16/1
Pearse O Neill    16/1
Paul Finlay    20/1
Martin Mcgrath    20/1

Australia v Ireland - 1st Test 24 Oct 11:30 - Top Irish Point Scorer - 1st Test

Sean Cavanagh    9/2
Stevie McDonnell    9/2
Benny Coulter    5/1
Paddy Bradley    11/2
Kieran Donaghy    13/2
Michael Meehan    8/1
Colm Begley    14/1
Ciaran Lyng    14/1
Leighton Glynn    20/1
Pearse O Neill    20/1
Paul Finlay    22/1
Martin Mcgrath    22/1

Some specials from boyles... I love these...

Any Player To Be Shown Red Card    6/5
Any Austrailian Player To Be Shown Red Card    2/1
Any Irish Player To Be Shown Red Card    3/1
A Player From Both Teams To Get A Red Card    7/2
Any Manager To Withdraw Their Team From The Pitch    12/1
Either Test Game To Be Abandonded    33/1

Mid Mon

Benny Coulter    10/1 to be first irish goal scorer, i fancy that.

Puckoon

Jinxy

I better not see lads running with the ball on the ground soccer-style. If this happens, the closest aussie has my blessing if he chooses to upscuttle him.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Puckoon

Jinxy - while you wouldnt want to see it as even a semi prominent component of the series - it is an invaluable skill for keeping the ball alive and in possession at a time when you may not have the time or luxury of getting the ball to hand. A quick flick or pop up to a team mate may be the difference in a turn over or not.

western exile

Quote from: western exile on September 29, 2008, 08:45:28 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on September 29, 2008, 06:48:23 PM
Quote from: fred the red on September 29, 2008, 06:32:39 PM
The games are taken place at 6.30pm in perth and 7.45pm in Melbourne....does anyone know what time this will be back home?

I think if you take 9 hours off them times you should be right so thats...10.45am and 9.30am though I am open to correction on that...
I for one am looking forward to this I'll certainly be taking the morning off work to watch them

It is 9 hours before the hour changes, and 11 hours after.  So that means 1st game in Perth is 9.30 am Friday morning 24th and 2nd game  Melbourne 8.45am Friday morning 31st
Of course, those times forgot to take into account that Perth is 2 hours behind Sydney and Melbourne !!
So should read...
So that means 1st game in Perth is 11.30 am Friday morning 24th and 2nd game  Melbourne 8.45am Friday morning 31st

Bod Mor

To those based in Australia. What channel (if at all) is the first test of the international rules being shown on?
I have searched and it looks as if it is not going to be shown  ???
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

stephenite

Quote from: Bod Mor on October 23, 2008, 02:48:37 AM
To those based in Australia. What channel (if at all) is the first test of the international rules being shown on?

Delayed coverage on Channel 7 for NSW is all I can find, assume it's on live in WA and VIC

Bod Mor

Quote from: stephenite on October 23, 2008, 03:04:10 AM
Quote from: Bod Mor on October 23, 2008, 02:48:37 AM

Delayed coverage on Channel 7 for NSW is all I can find, assume it's on live in WA and VIC

Feck it anyway. Cheers
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

Puckoon

Cavanagh singing a different tune than Mickey Harte on the International Rules series (From BBC)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cavanagh rejects Harte Rules jibe 

Sean Cavanagh was named Gaelic Footballer of the Year on Friday
Ireland's International Rules captain Sean Cavanagh has strongly rejected Mickey Harte's claim that the hybrid code is little more than a junket.

Cavanagh's Tyrone boss has repeated his distain for the game in the run-up to Friday's opening Test in Perth.

But while Cavanagh has huge respect for Harte, their views on International Rules are poles apart.

"As much as Mickey Harte doesn't love this competition, I love it as do all the guys," Cavanagh told BBC Sport.

"Mickey said in the media that we were just going for a holiday and going for the trip.

"But if you were watching four or five minutes of the training sessions with Mickey McGurn, you would see that they are something special.

"Mickey McGurn is a top-class trainer with his rugby background and all our guys are really going at it hammer and tongs.

"You really get a great sense of pride when you pull on those Ireland tops.

"Everyone (in the squad) from all corners of Ireland is embracing it.

"Really the guys are so close together and we are like a club or county at the minute.

"The craic and the jokes that we can have with one another is very special."

Continuing his passionate defence of the much-maligned series, Cavanagh added:"I'd say deep down, Mickey Harte might be proud to see four Tyrone boys pull on the Irish jersey".
Speaking ahead of Friday's Test opener at the Subiaco Oval, Cavanagh acknowledged that a repeat of the violence which marred the 2006 series in Ireland could be the death-knell for the compromise code.

"Croke Park in 2006 wasn't sport. It was violence," acknowledged the Tyrone man.

"The two teams are under no illusions. If the violence accrues this year like it was in 2005 and 2006, the series is finished."

RedandGreenSniper

PJ O'Brien's and The Porter House both claim to be playing it live. They must be streaming.

The AFL had earlier said that 7 were to show both tests live nationwide, that that was part of the rights deal. Obviously someone has reneged in the mean time.

Quote from: Jinxy on October 22, 2008, 09:38:04 PM
I better not see lads running with the ball on the ground soccer-style. If this happens, the closest aussie has my blessing if he chooses to upscuttle him.

This is a very effective tactic for compromise rules. You can't be tackled if you don't have control of the ball. If the ball comes in your direction and an Aussie is right up your hole, taking possession is daft cos you'll get wrapped up straightaway. If you soccer style it and try find some space to pick it up yourself or find a team mate, it is, believe it or not, the sensible thing to do. In the Gah we're conditioned to the old cry of 'Jaysus will you bend your back'. Utilising a few nuances like this can make a huge difference. Kinda looking forward to it now, but not sure what to expect from both teams
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Maximus Marillius

Lads can i get the game on Friday morning on line?

Going to answer my own question here...i think this is it

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/mediaplayer.html