Previous topic - Next topic

passedit

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on September 10, 2008, 11:52:25 PM
Gowna will be a decent shout to win their group,
If
Gerard Pierson
Mark McKeever
Dermot McCabe etc are available.

Wouldn't have thought Mc Cabe would be the first cousin of a sevens player now.

We need Our Nail to give us odds here but i'd say St Galls would be favs.
Don't Panic

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: passedit on September 10, 2008, 11:55:59 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on September 10, 2008, 11:52:25 PM
Gowna will be a decent shout to win their group,
If
Gerard Pierson
Mark McKeever
Dermot McCabe etc are available.

Wouldn't have thought Mc Cabe would be the first cousin of a sevens player now.

We need Our Nail to give us odds here but i'd say St Galls would be favs.

No way hed have the legs to play full games ,But he would make a big impact if he was used right in the interchange.

spiritof91and94

Group 8
Ballaghy (Derry)
Tourlestrane (Sligo)
Ballymartin (Down)
Kilkerrin-Clonberne (Galway)

How have Ballymartin got an invite??

screenexile

I would keep a serious eye out for Bellaghy... some good 7s players in that team and a few were involved the last time they won it. Fergal Doherty, Joe Diver, Gareth Doherty, Kevin Doherty, Mickey McGoldrick, Gavin Diamond, Louis McPeake, Eoghan Brown would all be good at this game and if I'm not mistaken I think it's the same management team that were in charge the last time they won it!

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: screenexile on September 11, 2008, 09:23:24 AM
I would keep a serious eye out for Bellaghy... some good 7s players in that team and a few were involved the last time they won it. Fergal Doherty, Joe Diver, Gareth Doherty, Kevin Doherty, Mickey McGoldrick, Gavin Diamond, Louis McPeake, Eoghan Brown would all be good at this game and if I'm not mistaken I think it's the same management team that were in charge the last time they won it!

yes you are mistaken.....the management team had nothing to do with the last win. Apart from picking the 7 to play, management has very little to do with 7s football. Its not very tatical. You go and play

screenexile

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on September 11, 2008, 09:28:34 AM

yes you are mistaken.....the management team had nothing to do with the last win. Apart from picking the 7 to play, management has very little to do with 7s football. Its not very tatical. You go and play

No tactics in 7s?! Are you mad! There are plenty of tactics involved and Bellaghy know them all! I remember the first night of the inaugural 7s tournament in Glen, the organisers hadn't the interchange sorted out properly and once Bellaghy conceded a score 2 defenders would sprint off the pitch at the bottom end and 2 men would run out at the top of the pitch which ended in Bellaghy tanking everyone.

As well as that you can't have Danny Quinn as keeper in a 7s competition and have him win player of the tournament without having tactics worked out beforehand! Fergal Doc was keeper at the 7s last time you won (with a ridiculous bleached blonde noggin... not your best idea Doc;)) and he did likewise... how naieve of you to think there are no tactics in 7s. Oh and I'd keep an eye on saffron sam taking you to the cleaners on the Derry managers thread  :P :P

Final Whistle

Quoteyes you are mistaken.....the management team had nothing to do with the last win. Apart from picking the 7 to play, management has very little to do with 7s football. Its not very tatical. You go and play

::) ::) ::)

No tactics!!! ;D ;D ;D

bingobus

7's are all about tactics. The teams that turn up and just "play" are the ones the beer for the day and normally get their wish early on. Its no con-incedence that the teams consistently in the closing stages have either played it over a number of years and devloped their tactis/gameplan or have targeted the 7's for a period before hand and have trained with it in mind i.e teams out of there own club championship.

We went up about 5/6 years ago with weak squad compared to our 15's team. It included a few junior B players but would be good readers of the game/fit/disciplined. Had a very astute sevens "manager" for the day and where very unlucky to lose the final.

Hoof Hearted

the year st galls won it didnt they use a tactic whereby once you scored, instead of picking up your man for the kickout like you do naturally in the 15 a side game, the furthest forward players sprinted like f**k into their own half and the opposition found it hard to break them down

PS St Galls retained their Castlewellen tiltle on Sat past defeating Toulestrane in the final. I see Toulestrane are in Bellaghys grout at Kilmacud. Was talking to a couple of the guys at the weekend and they said that Eamon O'Hara was unreal. Wasnt it Toulestrrane who beat them at the 1/4 final stage ??
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

magpie seanie

Would have thought Tourlestrane have several lads who could be seriopus sevens operators. I'll probably head along to see how they get on next weekend.

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: screenexile on September 11, 2008, 10:30:29 AM

No tactics in 7s?! Are you mad! There are plenty of tactics involved and Bellaghy know them all! I remember the first night of the inaugural 7s tournament in Glen, the organisers hadn't the interchange sorted out properly and once Bellaghy conceded a score 2 defenders would sprint off the pitch at the bottom end and 2 men would run out at the top of the pitch which ended in Bellaghy tanking everyone.

As well as that you can't have Danny Quinn as keeper in a 7s competition and have him win player of the tournament without having tactics worked out beforehand! Fergal Doc was keeper at the 7s last time you won (with a ridiculous bleached blonde noggin... not your best idea Doc;)) and he did likewise... how naieve of you to think there are no tactics in 7s. Oh and I'd keep an eye on saffron sam taking you to the cleaners on the Derry managers thread  :P :P

as i said before it all about opinions. Well if you call sprinting in to your own half when you score a tactic...ok then. I'm sorry I just assumed that it was taken that a goal keeper in 7s is useless, u need an outfield player. I dont view those as tactics....just bog standard practice in 7s

D4S

Jesus you don't know too much!!  Your goalkeeper in 7s is nearly always your best player...a playmaker who runs up and down the field scoring as well!  I know that is the caser for our club Longstone who won the Kilmacud 7s last year Mark Doran was our keeper he is excellent and busted his guts!
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

orangeman

I thought management had a big role to play ?? - getting the tactics right - etc etc - tactics have a big role to play - if you don't have the tactics right you can hardly expect to win ??

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: D4S on September 11, 2008, 02:06:27 PM
Jesus you don't know too much!!  Your goalkeeper in 7s is nearly always your best player...a playmaker who runs up and down the field scoring as well!  I know that is the caser for our club Longstone who won the Kilmacud 7s last year Mark Doran was our keeper he is excellent and busted his guts!

I meant a traditional goal keeper ???

full back

You are right Max
You dont need any tactics....... :D :D

Any team who wants to go far in the tournament has to have a gameplan & have worked on this gameplan a few times