Paralympics

Started by Uladh, September 09, 2008, 10:48:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is the Paralympics deserving of the national exposure it currently enjoys?

Yes
No
Its too much but i don't mind
There's not enough coverage
What is the paralympics?

Uladh

I'm more than happy that these games exist and that physiclly challenged people have a competitive sporting outlet in general. However, i have no interest in the paralympics whatsoever nor its participants. i have canvassed around me over the weekend and i haven't met a single person of a different opinion. with that in mind, why is there such large press coverage?

ziggysego

Why shouldn't there be? These people train such as hard as others and should receive the same praise. Don't like your attitude.
Testing Accessibility

nifan

Positive role models for the many with similar afflictions is reason enough for plenty of coverage in my opinion.

Minder

I would probably echo that Uladh, i have no problem with it but at the same time have absolutely no interest in it.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Uladh

ok lads - wothout google (or oscar pretorious) name me three paralympions. or wht races/events have you altered what you were doing to take in?

Down Gael

I watched the opening ceremony on Saturday. It was much better than the opening ceremony for able bodied athletes. Quite moving in fact.
I dont know if I could name any of the athletes ofther than Tanni Grey Thomson, but its as important as the main Olympics in my eyes.

lfdown2

em...??

dont watch it, if as you say you have no problem with it why do you feel the need to put it down?

think those competing deserve as much if not more publicity and praise than those in the olympics as they have in general i would say a tougher road to the top! fair play to them and would not begrudge everyone of them the limelight!

Over the Bar

What do you mean by "such large press coverage?"

It's hardly on Sky Sports 24/7 or hogging all the sports pages.   Compare the media coverage the paralympics gets to the Irish League yet it has higher attendance and greater interest!

IolarCoisCuain

These fellas lives are tough. The lives of the people who care for them are tough. They don't catch many breaks. If two minutes on the nine o'clock news makes things seem not so bad, even if only for a while, and even if we all know the newscaster is only doing it to be sound, it's fair enough by me. To begrudge them those two minutes is astonishing.

Uladh

That they take their sport seriously is not in question but it is not top level sport in my opinion. therefore i cannot understand the mainstrem coverage of the individual events. before you jump down my throat, 5live represents sports coverage generally for me. i had to sit through the sprints live this morning and the night programmes are completley overtaken by commentary. there is not a uk or irish natonal news bulletin without a paralympics report.

by all means regard the event itself as a cultural and emotional triumph - which i assume it is - but why represent it as a general sporting landmark.

Tanny Grey thompson is retired.

nifan

Triumph over adversity Uladh.
If it encourages people with disabilities to have a positive outlook it is worth a few hours coverage here and there.

It isnt as if everything else on tv/radio is so good that there isnt anything that can be trimmed/dropped

Uladh

I ackowledge that aspect of things ni but that is a cultural or social achievement in my opinion. I just don't regard it as the top level sport as everyone seems to want me to

ziggysego

Then you're a small man
Testing Accessibility

lfdown2

Quote from: ziggysego on September 09, 2008, 12:21:42 PM
Then you're a small man

agreed!

what constitutes top level sports BTW?
I would have thought competing on an international level was about as top level as any person could reach, no?

Uladh

Quote from: ziggysego on September 09, 2008, 12:21:42 PM
Then you're a small man

So you regard the paralympics as a competitive, entertaining and entralling sporting contest?