The Blue Book

Started by Blue and Navy, September 08, 2008, 07:18:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue and Navy

Any thoughts on the Blue Book, Vincent Hogan wrote about in the Indo today? Mother of God it makes them seem awful pretensious doesn't it? Why can't they just concentrate on playing football and cut out the theatrics?

By the way in case anyone didn't see it, Hogan wrote about a book that all the members of the Dublin panel were given at the start of the year......there was a creed involved with owning the book, of which Rule 4 said "I will not show or admit to the existence of THE BLUE BOOK to any other person except another Blue Book holder" !!

Each page is topped with the line "Dublin, All-Ireland Champions 2008"

corn02

Blue and Navy

Modified it there sorry about that.

Our Nail Loney

What else did he say about the blue book?

By mentioning the blue book isn't he breaking the blue book rule number one, like fight club?

Is he gonna get a hiding now? Are the blue mafia gonna get him?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Here's the article from Vincent Hogan:

Cody simplicity exposes futility of 'the blue book'

Monday September 08 2008

So the big, stark patriarch with the flushed complexion delivered history. The temperance folk would have Kilkenny banned on the basis that excess is corrupting. But Brian Cody remains such an emblem of uncomplicated desire, it's hard to be aggrieved when his striped wonders start piling the silver high.

You could feel disappointed for Waterford yesterday, without begrudging Cody a single second of this day in the sun.

His management of perhaps the greatest hurling team ever seen has long been rooted in simple, understated delivery. He leads with a quiet ferocity that we like to tart up in mystery. We want him to be profound, even if he never feels that way.

And, so, he looks at us from under those slender eye-brows, his hard mouth pinched in quizzical discomfort.

Cody rations his animation to a once a year ignition, that giddy, self-conscious sideline dance once Liam McCarthy is secured. For the remainder, he is unreadable as stone.

He laughs at the idea of genius in what he does. To him, management is no more than housekeeping. Brian Cody loves hurling and the heroism it deposits into otherwise plain lives. That is the beginning and end of his story.

Cody is the great, surviving constant of a practice getting more layered and nuanced by the season. He is old-style, a one-man rebuke to the management by numbers impulse that seems so increasingly de rigeur.

You look at some county teams today and everything they do is so trussed up in theory and philosophy, it's little wonder that their thought processes seem robotic.

Dublin footballers reside in a claustrophobic world and, increasingly, they look spooked by that world. The search for an edge has carried them into easily lampooned territory, the choreographed march to the hill, the arm-linking intimacy of the backroom, the practiced hostility to media.

In a sense, the harder Dublin tried to distance themselves from others, the more fragile they became.

Somewhere within the camp, a lust for mind bending overtook the plain demands of preparing young men for hard football games. Mental preparation morphed into dangerous psycho-babble.

This year, Dublin came up with the 'Blue Book'. You won't have seen one because it came with pretty stark 'rules of engagement.'

Holders had to (literally) sign up to a creed. And rule four of that creed declared: 'I will not show or admit to the existence of THE BLUE BOOK to any other person except another Blue Book holder.'

It didn't quite promote the cyanide pill solution to interrogation, but this was loopy stuff. A constitution written in Branch Davidian language.

The Blue Book was constructed in diary form, running from January to September. Every month carried an assembly of quotations, each page topped with the line 'Dublin, All-Ireland Champions 2008'. Page One demanded that the holder sign up to the seven-point creed, which had to be then counter-signed by a 'witness.'

And point number five of that creed declared that the holder would accept 'any disciplinary measures including withdrawal of MY BLUE BOOK, should I not apply myself as a BLUE BOOK HOLDER is expected to.'

The line between constructive motivation and oppressive thought control wasn't so much blurred as obliterated.

Thirty eight years after his death, Vince Lombardi's little wisdoms exist as such pet tools for lazy GAA psychology, he ought to be claiming Irish royalties from the grave. Lombardi's wall mottos have become clichéd through over-use. They need to be de-commissioned.

The Blue Book is -- naturally -- speckled with his words, but it's the company Lombardi keeps that leaves the starkest imprint.

The profundities of Bruce Lee, General George Patton, Confucius, Arnold Schwarzeneggar, Isaac Newton, Churchill, JFK, Gandhi are all invoked within as a kind of booklet-form mission statement for the modern Dub.

Page after bullet-point page itemises the specifics of preparation. Players are invited to fill in 'Game Reports'. Everything is segmented, broken down. Confidence. Success. Feedback. Mental Preparation.

The Blue Book seems intent on shining a light on every mental shadow.

The Feedback section proposes ignoring media as 'publicity is like poison, it only kills you if you swallow it.' It celebrates Omagh '06 as a day 'we crossed the line together as a Dublin squad hasn't done in years.' It lists being 'more cynical' among the positives.*

Sometimes the attempted air of gravitas is lost in a curious lurch of language, as in the declaration that 'some of the people making these judgements are the ones that had us as sh*** from the start.'

Reading the Blue Book, you get a sense of lost perspective. Of an attempt to intellectualise the pursuit of All-Ireland glory when the obligation should surely be to simplify, to rinse away all vain threads of mythology.

Watching the great, looping carriage of Brian Cody cross another mountain-top yesterday, you could see he had reality pegged like few others in the great, soaring horse-shoe of Croke Park.

It wasn't just the glow of achievement that drew his people to him. It was the quiet, knowing carriage. The sense of an uncomplicated man enjoying an uncomplicated moment.

Nothing quite became him like the simplicity of his pleasure.

* I was afraid of that occasion having assumed something of a mythical status within that particular squad. Woeful management.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Blue and Navy

Cheers for that Fear, was trying to get it up myself. It makes u wonder doesn't it, were these lads on the management connected with reality or what? Like surely none of the boys that have been involved over the last few years cannot hope to get the top job after Caffrey. They seem to be away with the fairies.

time ticking away

Someone somewhere has just sold out the ex dublin management team to further embarassment. Had the dubs won this years AI the blue book would have been hailed as the extra inspiration to get them across the finish line. As it is now its a betrayal - worse than the videoing of Davy Fitz's half time teamtalk
canavan is the man canavan is the man ee aye adi ooh.......

Fear ón Srath Bán

It's somewhat bizarre indeed BandN, and it raises more than a few serious questions about a management team that would promote and foster such an approach. The flip-side is that if Dublin get a half-decent management team in next, it'll be a massively liberating experience for the panel I'd imagine, which could be harnessed in the right hands.

time ticking away

Dublin are their own worst enemies, but this to me is just an honest attempt to gain an edge. It seems stupid now but hindsight is wonderful

Fear ón Srath Bán

Elevating Omagh '06 as something to be remembered with pride is stupid. Period.

time ticking away

Did Kerry and Dublin not Kick the shite out of each other in Gaelic Park in New York in the late 70's. One of them claimed it was the making of them

Fear ón Srath Bán

There is a difference tta. Omagh for Dublin was a nothing game, a fairly meaningless league game of very little consequence. OK, so they won that battle, but they've been losing the war disastrously ever since (and before). It didn't mark a watershed for that Dublin team; quite the reverse, it's my firm opinion (and I've said this before) that it actually frustrated their efforts in that the aggression was uncontrolled, and actually militated against a good footballing ethic, which has done them no favours. That that incident could be cited in a positive context flummoxes me.

time ticking away

i'm not giving them any plaudits for getting anything right. but i think they have suffered enough

Fear ón Srath Bán

ExiledGael

Quote from: time ticking away on September 08, 2008, 07:57:24 PM
Someone somewhere has just sold out the ex dublin management team to further embarassment. Had the dubs won this years AI the blue book would have been hailed as the extra inspiration to get them across the finish line. As it is now its a betrayal - worse than the videoing of Davy Fitz's half time teamtalk

True, the fact that this has been publicised in the press says a lot more about Dublin's problems than the very fact of the books existence in the first place.