Desktop advice

Started by TirEoghaingodeo, September 08, 2008, 04:40:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TirEoghaingodeo

Just wondering if anyone could advise me somewhere to get a cheap desktop. For home use, nothing fancy.
Any help much appreciated
Ó dá ligfeadh sí liú amháin gaile, liú catha...

mylestheslasher

I'm beginning to sound like a Dell salesman on this forum but I don't think they can be beaten for price and just as important, after sales support/warranty. Have a look at www.dell.ie

Hereiam

MDF would be the cheapest around IMO  ;D

TirEoghaingodeo

Thanks for the advice lads, esp Fionntamhnach. Appreciate you taking the time to type that out, it's a good help.
Ó dá ligfeadh sí liú amháin gaile, liú catha...

Donagh

Built my own recently to use as a home theatre system out of an old box I found lying about the office. Pretty straightforward these days if you have the inclination. The only thing I kept from the old box was the power unit, a 60Gb ATA hard drive, DVD burner and an old wireless card I found about the house.

Motherboard: £35
Dual core processor: £40
Quiet processor fan: £8
750 Gb SATA hard drive: £65
2 Gb RAM: £35
Graphics Card: £30

Only a matter of plugging everything in then. Takes a bit of digging around on the web to find cheapest parts but worth the saving in the end. Alternatively you could also buy upgrade packages which has all the parts bundled together (http://stores.ebay.co.uk/TM-Supplies_Upgrade-Packages_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ13QQftidZ2QQtZkm)
If you don't have access to an old box you can buy them with or without the power units for £30-£90, depending on how stylish you want it to look.