More lolly for the Debt dodging Freeloaders

Started by rosnarun, September 08, 2008, 04:34:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

I see degrees of acceptability. The worst case is giving public money to commercial busineses, usually of doubtful financial probity, as many Irish soccer businesses have shown themselves to be.

I understand Shamrock Rovers is a members-owned, not profit-distributing company. So is my local tennis club, which has benefitted from lottery funds. I'm all for funding organisations like that, if they provide a service to the community. But I have a problem identifying the benefit to the community when it's clear that practically all of the organisation's resources are devoted to paying the players. Bringing in the local kids for a day hardly cuts it.

And I didn't suggest that the GAA is the only sports body in Ireland that does good in their community. See my tennis club example for just one of thousands.

I'm vehemently opposed to the grants scheme for GAA players. But to suggest that it would be inconsistent to support public funding for the GAA on the basis of the existence of this scheme doesn't hold water. Unlike professional soccer clubs, the percentage of resources going to pay the players is minuscule.

dublinfella

I wouldn't like to see LoI clubs get direct mony from the state either. And they aren't, so we can agree on that and move on.

Rovers have a dozens of underage sides, a womens side, a basketball team and have a squad of young Dubs. They provide dozens of scholarships at primary, seconday and in the local IT. They give out school uniforms and books to students and software to schools. And they aren't even in the area yet. Exactly what else do you expect them to do? Do your tennis club do any of this?

Its pure bile at this stage because they beat the GAA in court.

If you are objecting to grants on the basis that players in a club get paid, its entirely inconsistant to say that GAA players getting paid is somehow different to soccer etc and as such they should be exempt.

stephenite

Whats the difference between dozens of underage sides and a squad of young Dubs - genuine question, I would've though that any underage teams fielded by Rovers would be full of young Dubs?

Hardy

QuoteIf you are objecting to grants on the basis that players in a club get paid, its entirely inconsistant to say that GAA players getting paid is somehow different to soccer etc and as such they should be exempt.

But of course I'm not. Once more and for the last time, I'm objecting because PRACTICALLY ALL of the club's resources (assuming it's not substantially different to every other League Of Ireland club) go to paying the players.

I have no interest in the court case, so stop flinging around suggestions about "bile". I simply see a huge inequity in the way government money is being dished out. Show me a GAA club that has had a stadium provided for it by the government and maybe your argument will have its first leg to stand on. It might get a second if you point out how it makes sense to fund organisations that do nothing but sit on their arses and moan until they get a handout, while bypassing those that work to improve their facilities, seemingly on the basis that, since they've provided it for themselves they don't need the help - leaves more available to give to the freeloaders. .

dublinfella

Quote from: stephenite on September 10, 2008, 11:26:01 AM
Whats the difference between dozens of underage sides and a squad of young Dubs - genuine question, I would've though that any underage teams fielded by Rovers would be full of young Dubs?

The Rovers LoI team is all local players. None of the high paid journeymen that Bohs, Shels etc have. Talking to their fan I know  they seem to be trying to get as far away from the tradional LoI model as they can

dublinfella

Quote from: Hardy on September 10, 2008, 11:29:46 AM

But of course I'm not. Once more and for the last time, I'm objecting because PRACTICALLY ALL of the club's resources (assuming it's not substantially different to every other League Of Ireland club) go to paying the players.

I have no interest in the court case, so stop flinging around suggestions about "bile". I simply see a huge inequity in the way government money is being dished out. Show me a GAA club that has had a stadium provided for it by the government and maybe your argument will have its first leg to stand on. It might get a second if you point out how it makes sense to fund organisations that do nothing but sit on their arses and moan until they get a handout, while bypassing those that work to improve their facilities, seemingly on the basis that, since they've provided it for themselves they don't need the help - leaves more available to give to the freeloaders. .

But the GAA get more in grants than every other sports organisation combined. Hundreds of millions in the past 10 years and all of it deserved Whats inequitable about soccer getting a few million?

I'm a little bit lost as to your point re GAA clubs. I don't know of one GAA club that has not gotten some grant aid for the clubhouse or a stand. But in the Tallaght case, at least the council get to use it. Different sports, different situations.

Also, the South Dublin GAA would be on shaky ground talking about 'sitting on holes' and 'freeloading'. What is the latest with Rathcoole? 14 years since the DCB got the land for nowt and still no work on it. That situation is entirely unacceptable.

Gnevin

Quote from: dublinfella on September 10, 2008, 11:39:07 AM

But the GAA get more in grants than every other sports organisation combined. Hundreds of millions in the past 10 years and all of it deserved Whats inequitable about soccer getting a few million?

I'm a little bit lost as to your point re GAA clubs. I don't know of one GAA club that has not gotten some grant aid for the clubhouse or a stand. But in the Tallaght case, at least the council get to use it. Different sports, different situations.

Also, the South Dublin GAA would be on shaky ground talking about 'sitting on holes' and 'freeloading'. What is the latest with Rathcoole? 14 years since the DCB got the land for nowt and still no work on it. That situation is entirely unacceptable.
I suggest you up your dosage of ARICEPT
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

fred the red

The more money the government pumps into meaningful sports programmes for the community the better.

dublinfella

Quote from: fred the red on September 10, 2008, 10:14:14 PM
The more money the government pumps into meaningful sports programmes for the community the better.

Exactly. Why does that simple statement lead to such hostility from the clique on this site?

dublinfella

Quote from: Gnevin on September 10, 2008, 10:10:11 PM

So you are going to ignore the points I raised and make a cheap joke that I have mental illness.

The paucity of debate on this site has sunk even lower, if that is possible.

his holiness nb

Its already about as low as it can get to be honest.
Its getting to the stage where every "fact" posted needs to be double checked for confirmation due to the amount of lies being told.

I'm staying out of it for that very reason. Unless of course a smart arse reply to this is posted, I'll gladly respond to that  ;)
Ask me holy bollix

Gnevin

Quote from: dublinfella on September 11, 2008, 09:28:50 AM
Quote from: Gnevin on September 10, 2008, 10:10:11 PM

So you are going to ignore the points I raised and make a cheap joke that I have mental illness.

The paucity of debate on this site has sunk even lower, if that is possible.
No I'm just refusing to repeat myself as your well aware we discussed this several times before .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

dublinfella

Quote from: Gnevin on September 11, 2008, 01:55:42 PM

No I'm just refusing to repeat myself as your well aware we discussed this several times before .

Well grow up and do it without throwing that sort of dung around.

All this because pangurban posted a manipulated version of the press release to imply Rovers themselves and not the Council were getting funds.

To be fair to his holiness, he is right. How are people to make infomed judgements when that sort of maclicious posting goes on. Most forums would have tugged him for the way he didn't source the article.

Here is the full press release if anyone cares.

Tallaght Stadium receives €825k grant

The new Tallaght Stadium, which will become the home of eircom League of Ireland club Shamrock Rovers from the start of next season, will receive a grant of €825,000 from the RAPID Sports Capital Top-Up funding.

Éamon Ó Cuív, Minister for Community, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs confirmed this week that the new ground will receive the sum in addition to the €2.75m allocated by the Department of Arts, Sports and Tourism earlier this year.

The RAPID (Revitalising Areas by Planning, Investment and Development) Programme is a focused Government initiative to target the 46 most disadvantaged areas in the country.

Mr Ó Cuív said: "This stadium will be a huge boost for Tallaght, and this project is particularly significant in that it will serve three different RAPID areas: Fettercairn, Killenarden and Jobstown.

"The new facility will be a wonderful community resource and, I am sure, a source of great local pride. I understand that this stadium will be home to Shamrock Rovers FC, the most successful club in Irish football history, and this will be an inspiration for many young players in Tallaght.

"Participation in sports at all levels – as players, trainers, supporters and spectators – brings people together and creates a feeling of solidarity within the community. I am confident that Tallaght Stadium will contribute greatly to this sense of community in Tallaght, and I am looking forward to seeing the plans for this new stadium when I announce the full list of RAPID Sports Capital Top-Up Programme allocations in Tallaght this Wednesday."

Responding to the news, Rovers chairman Jonathan Roche said: "This is great news for Shamrock Rovers and the people of Tallaght.

"It also shows how sport benefits the local community. As well as bringing professional football to the area, Rovers offer sporting and educational opportunities through our scholarship schemes and underage section.

"It's a unique and all-encompassing package that reflects the club's determination and ability to make a positive impact on the lives of people in Tallaght."

his holiness nb

Quote from: dublinfella on September 11, 2008, 02:28:18 PM
To be fair to his holiness, he is right.

Always Dublinfella, always.

Although in fairness to Pangurban, I wasnt referring to his post as you suggest.
Ask me holy bollix

Main Street

QuoteIf you are objecting to grants on the basis that players in a club get paid, its entirely inconsistant to say that GAA players getting paid is somehow different to soccer etc and as such they should be exempt.

In many places around Europe the local stadium is a public owned facility and rented out to the full time professional club.
Rovers have received an anchor rent contract from a public owned facility.
This is a widespread practice which has worked well all over Europe.
Freeloading does not apply.
It is up to the council to maintain the facility and run it as a viable unit.

It doesn't matter that Rover's pay their players. They are a sports organisation with a strong membership structure.
It's up to the membership to vote in a board who will manage the finances.
The club has to follow strict FAI scrutiny.

The vast majority of players playing senior club soccer in Ireland do not get paid.
Imo as long as a clubs facilities are held in trust or member owned, whose finances are FAI approved, are quite entitled to apply for funding to expand their infrastructure.