Ulster Scotch

Started by Square Ball, December 31, 2006, 10:31:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MW

Quote from: his holiness nb on October 05, 2007, 02:30:19 PM
Was it not "wee dafties" as opposed to "dafty weans" ?

Either seem to crop up in the story. Going by the use of "WDW" on that reference in Slugger, maybe the original story referred to "we dafty weans" - which was how I'd half-remembered it.

Googled "wee dafties" too - here are the results:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%22wee+dafties%22&hl=en&start=30&sa=N

Donagh

Quote from: MW on October 05, 2007, 02:22:18 PM
I'll ask him though he doesn't work in the languages section himself, just alongside those who do.

I'd assumed the story was true myself before being corrected. If it was though, you'd assume it would for example show up somewhere on a google search. But I googled "dafty weans" just there and have a look at the results:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=%22dafty+weans%22&btnG=Search&meta=

Only five results, none of them a first hand quote. Indeed two of the results are references on Slugger O'Toole citing the story as an example of an urban myth.

(BTW as an aside I think 'learning disabled' is the correct term in English).

Try "wee dafties". Opps

Fear Boirche

Lads, i can say categorically and without fear of contradiction, conclusively that Ulster Scots IS a language.

The language that it is is English.

By the logic of the Ulster-Scots crowd, Scousers, Cockneys and Geordies should be applying for grants to promote their 'language'

MW

scalder

MW – is that Scotish site for real??
If it is I'm not sure what to say, it looks like a joke though.

Craic Addict

Is that the  Bushmills variety without the 'e'?

SammyG

Quote from: scalder on October 05, 2007, 04:16:03 PM
MW – is that Scotish site for real??

Certainly is, it's the official site of the Scottish Parliament
Quote from: scalder on October 05, 2007, 04:16:03 PM
If it is I'm not sure what to say, it looks like a joke though.

IMO speaking in a bad Ballymena hey accent is not and never will be a separate language. But Scots is recognised as an official language in the SP and they have leaflets etc available in it.

Craic Addict

Interesting site indeed. 

Even more interesting to see the German influences in the language... "siccer", "for by" to mention a couple I picked up on the first page alone.

stiffler

I know a lad who calls people who are ill mannered 'bad wee beasts' in a scottish accent.

Would that be classified as Ulster Scots?.

He's the only person I know who comes out with such a phrase.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

MW

Quote from: Craic Addict on October 05, 2007, 04:29:36 PM
Interesting site indeed. 

Even more interesting to see the German influences in the language... "siccer", "for by" to mention a couple I picked up on the first page alone.

That would make sense, since English is a Germanic language which has been heavily influenced by French, whereas the Scots langauge/dialect would possibly be more 'true' to the Germanic roots of the northern Anglian branch of the English/Anglo-Saxon languages of say 1200 years ago. (Bit of guessing on my part here)

slow corner back

If ulster scots is so popular in scotland why does it say Cead Mile Failte at Queen Street Station in Glasgow?

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Didnt want to start another thread so posting this here.

Ulster-Scots academy 'misguided' 
Conor Spackman
BBC News 

The Ulster-Scots Agency fear plans for an academy could threaten the languageProposals for an Ulster-Scots academy have been condemned as misconceived, divisive and a potential threat to the future of the language.

The Ulster-Scots Agency says that those behind the academy were misguided and did not understand what the Ulster-Scots language actually is.

The academy would have been responsible for the promotion of the Ulster-Scots language.

It was supposed to open last year, but has been repeatedly delayed,

In a leaked document, the agency said that Ulster-Scots is a variation of the Scots language spoken by people in Northern Ireland.

It accused the academy of wrongly promoting Ulster-Scots as a language distinct from Scots.

"The implementation group (of the academy) seem to be planning to be concerned with a language separate from Scots, which they are calling Ulster-Scots, though this appears to be something distinct from the language variety traditionally spoken in Ulster," the document states.

Unpopular

It says the business case including plans for the academy to be a private limited company is flawed.

"The terminology used in the business plan give cause for very considerable concern about the danger that an academy as envisaged in the business plan would seek to 'privatize', elaborate and perhaps even profit from a language which should be the birthright of anyone who wishes to learn it or speak it," it said.

The agency concludes that if the plan is implemented as it stands it would be extremely unpopular and regarded by the public as a waste of resources.

The BBC has already revealed that a secretariat set up to aid the work of the academy was shut down in June.

Shortly before, the most senior civil servant in the Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure (DCAL), Paul Sweeney, wrote to the chairman of the Academy Implementation Group, Dr Philip Robinson.

In the letter, he said that he shared Dr Robinson's frustration at the slow progress towards setting up the £12m project. Mr Sweeney also pledged to employ consultants from Deloitte to "freshen up" the business case.

In its response to the latest revelations, DCAL said it would be inappropriate for the minister responsible, Gregory Campbell, to comment on one aspect of the public consultation.

"The minister will consider a range of options and recommendations arising from the refreshed business case, and thereafter provide direction on the way forward for the establishment of an academy," it said.

Tbc....

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Hardly a glowing endorsement of the state of the dialect from its development officer - see text in bold.

City hosts Ulster Scots festival 

Visitors to Londonderry are enjoying the second Foyle Ulster Scots Festival which opened on Monday 4 August.

The festival runs until Friday 8 August and features the story of the city's siege, reenacted on the walls.

Organisers say Ulster Scots could boost the tourist industry.

James Kee, development worker for the Ulster Scots Agency, said when it came to the question of whether Ulster Scots was a language, everyone was entitled to their opinion.
"I feel most people should respect other people's cultures. There is definitely something worth preserving," he said.

"Admittedly, we have lost a lot of our language, but if we don't keep working on it, we could end up with virtually nothing left.
"With the work that the agency is doing, hopefully, Ulster Scots is making a comeback."

The second Foyle Ulster Scots festival is a week-long event offering visitors a programme that includes living history tours and actors in period costume recreating scenes from Derry's past - like the siege - on the city walls.

Culture Minister Gregory Campbell, who was at the launch, said that after years of limited resources and a lack of understanding, now was the right time to promote Ulster Scots and set up an academy.

"We need to see what various people through the Ulster Scots community have to say regarding that implementation group and how the academy would work," he said.

"I think there will be support for it. Given the considerable public sector support for the Irish language over recent years, I don't think there will be people who will now quibble if Ulster Scots is getting similar funding."

Drama, music and traditional dancing will keep festival-goers entertained.

Highlights include the Ulster-Scots Fling and the Highland Dance Competition and visitors can also enjoy bluegrass music.

Sounds like a "hal heap o' crack".

Tbc....

Craic Addict

Heap a crack?  Heap a shite, if you ask me ::)

Themmuns mas bay on a bi' a they auld crack thumsalls kiz thons a heap a shite.

scud

Deed anyae yees si thon askin fir tha muney litther on that puther paige o tha ulster scotch boord? tha boord o ulsther scotch'll han oot up tae five gran foor this shite! ah myte gie her a go an tryin gah a few poun oerelse thon taigs'll gah tha muney!!

Whoots man set this dosh... looose.... abooot this hoose.....

This is another example of the ridiculous amount of money is wasted in our segregated society - seperate services, facilities, bus stops, oh, bettter give them seperate cultural funds too