Fearon now employed as a security man

Started by Minder, September 05, 2008, 10:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donagh

The OWC reaction to this incident, although predictable (watch out Holly, aged 8 from Kent) is quite amusing. They've an 11 page thread running a debate on whether Neill Lennon deserved to get knocked out cold or not and an 8 page thread on how this was a totally unprovoked and disgusting attack.  ::)

While I'm sure these boys didn't deserve a kicking, I'm skeptical about door staff pouncing on people for absolutely no reason. Add in the Irish bar connection and the selection of songs your most likely to hear at a six county soccer match, I think we could reasonably assume there was some sort of provocation (not that responding to that kind of provocation should be an acceptable defense).

pintsofguinness

EG wiht all your eye witness accounts can you tell us what was being sang?

Quote(not that responding to that kind of provocation should be an acceptable defense).
agree
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Donagh

From Slugger:

"My brother and his friend were badly beaten by the local militia wearing high visibility so called security bibs.
They pulverised them without remorse and then had them run a final gauntlet of batons to escape.

Thier crime was to be happy and in a mood for celebration, what would Slovakians know of and be offended by the singing of the Sash or how does f**k the I.R.A become something wrong to shout.
The IFA should pressurise FIFA to have Slovakia thrown out of world football if this is how they treat visiting fans."

Rossfan

Quote from: Donagh on September 06, 2008, 04:49:47 PM
From Slugger:

"happy and in a mood for celebration, what would Slovakians know of and be offended by the singing of the Sash or how does f**k the I.R.A become something wrong to shout.
"

Soccer for all eh?

Obviously no Fenians need apply  ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Main Street

Donagh

Quote from: Rossfan on September 06, 2008, 05:33:06 PM
From Slugger:

"happy and in a mood for celebration, what would Slovakians know of and be offended by the singing of the Sash or how does f**k the I.R.A become something wrong to shout.
"

Soccer for all eh?

Obviously no Fenians need apply  ::)

Personally, although the soccer style chanting does annoy me a little, especially at recent championship football games, what really gets on my goat is the foul language that invariably accompanies them. It wouldn't surprise me that the staff in this bar only recognised the 'f**k' bit of their chanting and found it insulting - hence the beating. A quick word in the ear of the ringleader usually does it for me in Clones though.  :P

Rav67

QUB Ireland SC were over in Bratislava and Prague for the games last September and said Bratislava was pretty rough, a lot of hooligans hanging round looking for fights.

Tony Baloney

Is Eastern European cities you always seem to have some local goon squads on the lose when matches are on. I'd say the local peelers would turn a blind eye to any thuggery from them. No matter how bad the gawa songs were they still didn't deserve that sort of punishment! You wouldn't even wish that on a Man United fan....

Main Street

From Slugger:

"My brother and his friend were badly beaten by the local militia wearing high visibility so called security bibs.
They pulverised them without remorse and then had them run a final gauntlet of batons to escape.

Thier crime was to be happy and in a mood for celebration, what would Slovakians know of and be offended by the singing of the Sash or how does f**k the I.R.A become something wrong to shout.
The IFA should pressurise FIFA to have Slovakia thrown out of world football if this is how they treat visiting fans."

In all honesty, does that Slugger post not sound like a total wind up?

tyssam5

'there was another fellow I saw with a white tee-shirt and a pink collar,'

A harsh response from the fashion police perhaps?

gawa316

Quote from: Main Street on September 06, 2008, 09:30:09 PM
From Slugger:

In all honesty, does that Slugger post not sound like a total wind up?

I'd say you might be right mainstreet, your man who claims it was his brother and friend that was beaten doesn't have the same name as any of the 2 that were actually beaten

Donagh

Quote from: gawa316 on September 07, 2008, 10:42:52 AM
I'd say you might be right mainstreet, your man who claims it was his brother and friend that was beaten doesn't have the same name as any of the 2 that were actually beaten

I thought it was two hospitalised and a whole dose beaten?

fred the red

Lar Naparka

Seems to me that a group of football supporters were assaulted by some locals, armed with baseball bats and similar weapons. Furthermore, since the said locals had the said baseball bats ready to hand, it's fair to say they had intended making use of them.
I doubt that the quality of the singing or the choice of songs being sung had anything to do with it. :D
QUB Ireland SC were over in Bratislava and Prague for the games last September and said Bratislava was pretty rough, a lot of hooligans hanging round looking for fights.

QuoteHow do you explain the ROI fans who, after their game in Bratislava last year described the (so-called) security in the same bar as "Gestapo", and advised: "Stay far away from the Dubliner Bar by far the biggest bunch of thugs i have ever come across in all my travels"

I have no reason to doubt the accuracy of both of the statements above, so I think the following one is a bit off the mark.

QuoteI wasnt saying as fact that they done something to deserve it, but in reality the chances are they done something to upset the security men.

Back in my own playing days, a renowned coach used to tell his teams to get their retaliation in first.
It looks like a case of premeditated assault to me and fans from any other country or club would be likely to get the same sort of reception.

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Main Street

You can be about 99.99% sure these 2 lads were beaten up by thugs for no reason.
The Irish bar there is a well known shíthole.
There are thugs who roam around looking for targets and there are thugs who act as bouncers.
Everybody I know who has been to Bratislava has spoken about hostile locals, nasty atmosphere after dark, worse in nightclubs and rip offs a plenty.
Outside Bratislava is grand.

The 2 NI fans looked reasonable enough considering but one lost a load a teeth.