Pride

Started by The Iceman, September 03, 2008, 03:38:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What are you more proud of? Your county or your country?

County
Country
Club/Parish

The Iceman

I've been away from home for a while now and my wife commented recently that it is very evident to her that I am more proud of my county than I am of being Irish.
When ever anyone from Ireland goes to another country they tend to wear county or club jerseys before Ireland shirts (soccer, rugby, generic).

I think being from Armagh and my own area defines me more than being Irish.

What do yous think yourselves?
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

corn02

Can you put club up because it would whoop the other two.

The Iceman

How about Club/Parish?

I thin there is a real pride, especially amoung Gaels, but in people in general of where they are from and who they are.  This has a lot to do with your parish/club, your county and finally Ireland.  At least for me anyway.

Its something I have rarely seen anywhere else in the world and I think its what sets us apart and it is that one thing we miss when we're away from home.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Declan

I'm with George Carlin on the Proud to be Irish nonsense

-I dont understand this notion of ethnic pride. "Proud to be Irish," "Puerto Rican pride," "Black Pride." It seems to me that pride should be reserved for accomplishments; things you attain or achieve, not things that happen to you by chance. Being Irish isn't a skill; Its genetic. You wouldn't say, "Im proud to have brown hair," or "I'm proud to be short and stocky." So why the f**k would you say you're proud to be Irish? I'm Irish, but Im not particularly proud of it. Just Glad! Goddamn glad to be Irish!

The Iceman

Can you apply that to club/parish?

I am proud that I'm from a small parish in armagh, i'm proud that I grew up in a place that is very close to the way it was 20 years ago and a lot of the people are still around.

You can be proud of your accomplishments as a parish / group of people / where you were brought up - in my book anyways.