When will Armagh next win a senior All-Ireland?

Started by Over the Bar, September 02, 2008, 03:22:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

When will Armagh next win an senior All-Ireland?

Next Year.  Tyrone this year will spur them on like they did to Tyrone in 2003
5 (8.2%)
Within the next 2-3 years.
6 (9.8%)
Never under Peter McDonnell
3 (4.9%)
Never until Geezer takes over
3 (4.9%)
Never while Mickey Harte leads Tyone
9 (14.8%)
Never until the back door is scrapped
5 (8.2%)
Never
30 (49.2%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Over the Bar

Many within Armagh forecast dark days.  The old guard is mostly gone some firing broadsides at the mgt team as they leave.   Francie gets cleaned out in Croker and probably has played his last game.  What next & when will they be back?

armaghniac

I think any thread that relates any teams performance to Tyrone should probably wait until after the "we are the absolute greatest" AI final
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

T Fearon

Mickey might well be gone after this year's AI Final, as Tyrone supporters moght consider him a liability if they lose...just as they thought him a liability after the Down defeat.

Also if the Tyrone Board decide to award only their supporters who attended the Dublin game AI Final tickets, and not those who had lost faith, then they'll be rteurning about 10,000 Tickets to Croke Park ;D

It matters not when Armagh next win the AI. The fact is that they captured Sam before Tyrone ever did, contested their first ever final 33 years before Tyrone, and had contested two finals before Tyrone had even contested one. ;)

Remember also Tyrone have one All Ireland more than Armagh due to a lucky block and an easy free awarded in injury time in 2005 ;)

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: armaghniac on September 02, 2008, 03:32:52 PM
I think any thread that relates any teams performance to Tyrone should probably wait until after the "we are the absolute greatest" AI final

Wasn't that 2005?  :D :D

billy the kid

Next Year.  Tyrone this year will spur them on like they did to Tyrone in 2003  
Within the next 2-3 years.  
Never under Peter McDonnell  
Never until Geezer takes over  
Never while Mickey Harte leads Tyone
Never until the back door is scrapped
Never

I wouldnt go for any of these options but here is my opinion.
Cant see it being in next couple of years as i dont think they have the players. they need to hang on to the likes of Clarke, McDonnell, McKeever, A mallon, B Mallon and A kernan and  If they can bring through the likes of Vernon, McKenna, Toner and the younger kernans and develop a more attack minded stategy they could be a force again at the top level in a few years when they have gained more experience.

Here is why I didnt vote for any of the above options:

I dont think Peter McDonnell will hinder the teams development and actually think he is the right man for the next stage in their history as he knows alot of the younger players and I honestly thought he done very well with what he had this year.

I think its very early in McGeeneys Management Career to be lording him as the saviour of Armagh football.  He may turn out to be a brilliant manager but one season with Kildar is hardly setting the world alight and dont forget they were easily beaten by a poor wicklow team that ANTRIM beat in the Tommy Murphy Cup. Anyway would the Armagh county board be able to pay his substantial wages and if so would they be willing to?

They Def arent fit for Tyrone at the minute and if they had met in the AISF I think a heavy beating could have been handed out. Armagh fans may argue that "Armagh Tyrone games are always tight" this may have been the case over the last 8/9 years but Armagh have never been this far behind Tyrone in terms of quality, fitness, tactics and strength of panel. With M Harte at the helm this present Tyrone panel are too good for most teams.

Blaming the back door system (Which I hate) is just a kop out by Armagh people. More All-Irelands werent won because yous were beat by better teams.  The Armagh team and management from 2002-2008 should look in the mirror when wondering why they didnt win more AIs. Tyrone and Kerry have been better than yous since 2002 and the other teams that have knocked yous out have been better than Armagh on the day and deserved their victories.

To say Armagh will Never win another All-Ireland is ridiculous as you should never say never when it comes to sport.  
If it moves hit it
If it doesnt hit it anyway!!

heganboy

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

stpauls

Quote from: Over the Bar on September 02, 2008, 03:22:23 PM
Many within Armagh forecast dark days.  The old guard is mostly gone some firing broadsides at the mgt team as they leave.   Francie gets cleaned out in Croker and probably has played his last game.  What next & when will they be back?

should you not be concentrating on winning your own next AI instead of wondering when we will win ours?  ::)

EC Unique

Quote from: T Fearon on September 02, 2008, 03:33:15 PM
Mickey might well be gone after this year's AI Final, as Tyrone supporters moght consider him a liability if they lose...just as they thought him a liability after the Down defeat.

Also if the Tyrone Board decide to award only their supporters who attended the Dublin game AI Final tickets, and not those who had lost faith, then they'll be rteurning about 10,000 Tickets to Croke Park ;D

It matters not when Armagh next win the AI. The fact is that they captured Sam before Tyrone ever did, contested their first ever final 33 years before Tyrone, and had contested two finals before Tyrone had even contested one. ;)

Remember also Tyrone have one All Ireland more than Armagh due to a lucky block and an easy free awarded in injury time in 2005 ;)

Tony you really are obsessed with Tyrone. You need to talk to somebody about your problems and get over the 03/05 things. God bless you, I really am starting to feel sorry for you :-\

billy the kid

Tyrone have 2 All-Irelands because they were the best football team in Ireland in 2003 and 2005 and out played Armagh in them 2 years.
As for boasting about getting to finals that you got beat in who cares you didnt win anything so grow up. However it is refreshing to come across an Armagh fan who is aware the history of the GAA didnt start in 2002.
If it moves hit it
If it doesnt hit it anyway!!

omagh_gael

Two points here:

1) how you see conor gormleys block in 2003 as lucky is beyond me, a block of that quality requires just as much skill as any goal ever scored!

2) Re. free in 2005, I think you'll find a shirt pull is a clear foul in Gaelic football!

Luck is getting the player of the year (Stephen o neill) sent off for an imaginary second yellow in ulster final replay! Will those orange tinted glasses ever come off mr fearon? I'm not so sure

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

dodgy umpire

with the success of crossmaglen its a wonder they havent won more by this stage. whenever it is they win their next sam heres hoping they do it without the ugly style of play. wouldnt be too worried about the "old guard going" they should still be able to form a good group of players
The Boys in Red and Black are back

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.