Donegals next manager?

Started by Gaoth Dobhair Abu, September 02, 2008, 11:08:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who do you think will get the "poison" chalice? Two extra options added!

Declan Bonner
2 (4.9%)
Charlie Mulgrew
14 (34.1%)
John Joe Doherty
4 (9.8%)
Michael Houston
1 (2.4%)
Francie Martin
4 (9.8%)
Jim McGuinness
2 (4.9%)
Donegal County Board are making a laughing stock of themselves and the rest of the county!
14 (34.1%)
Brian McEniff
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 41

orangeman

October 24, 2008

The Donegal senior football squad would like to express its serious disappointment with the manner in which the Donegal Co Board selection committee has handled the appointment of a new manager.

The squad recently conveyed its views on the removal of Brian McIver and offered to consult with the Board during the selection process to find a suitable replacement. Although a commitment was given by the Board executive that the squad would indeed be contacted, no communication was received by the players during the process. We believe that we had a valuable role to play in the selection process and that the Board executive and selection committee have made a serious mistake by failing to consult with the squad.

The players wish to make it clear that we have no issue with any of the candidates for the job, and we believe all hold valid credentials. However, in light of the breakdown of the appointment process, we would call on club delegates now to reappraise the position of a number of senior executives in the Co Board.

Croí na hÉireann

Did you have to post the same article on both threads?  >:(
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

orangeman

Bonner and Mulgrew to meet board 

Charlie Mulgrew and Declan Bonner looked set to land the job
Declan Bonner and Charlie Mulgrew are to meet with the Donegal GAA Board to discuss the continuing controversy over the vacant county senior football post.

Mulgrew and Bonner thought they were about to land the Donegal job last week only for John Joe Doherty to be offered the role for a second time.

Bonner confirmed to BBC Sport that they will meet with the Donegal County Executive on Wednesday night.

Mulgrew and Bonner plan to "put a number of questions" to the board".

Bonner was reluctant to make any further comment in advance of Wednesday's meeting in Donegal Town.

However, Bonner did state that the duo's position on the "shambles" remains unchanged from last Friday, when they made their displeasure abundantly clear in a BBC Radio Foyle interview.

Doherty held discussions with the five-man selection committee on Friday past and county officials then took the decision to arrange a meeting with Bonner and Mulgrew.

Doherty's discussions with the five-man committee, comprised of chairman Sean Kelly, secretary Charlie O'Donnell, treasurer Charlie Cannon, former manager PJ McGowan and former player Sean Ferriter, are reported to have been amicable.

Glencolmcille club-man Doherty said he was "reasonably happy" with the course the meeting took.

After holding talks with Bonner and Mulgrew on Wednesday, the Donegal board plans to call a specially convened meeting of the county committee for early next month.

On Friday, Mulgrew and Bonner hinted in the BBC Radio Foyle interview that there were considering legal action after having the offer to manage the Donegal team withdrawn.

"This scenario is not going to die away," said Mulgrew.

"If that can't be done within the offices of the GAA, it will be done in some other office."

Both Mulgrew and Bonner insisted that their "integrity and honour" had been called into question by the events of Wednesday night.

The Donegal GAA Board opted to revisit their original decision to offer the job to Doherty after the Glencolmcille man had been allowed to address the meeting in person.

Mulgrew made it clear that he was deeply unhappy that Doherty had been given the opportunity to speak at the gathering.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm not a former team-mate (of John Joe Doherty)
Charlie Mulgrew

"At the moment, we are speaking with different people as to how we are going to address the situation."

To emphasise the increasingly bitter nature of the affair, Mulgrew made clear his personal anger at Doherty's role in the sensational episode.

"To be classified as a former team-mate by that guy. As far as I'm concerned, I'm not a former team-mate (of his)."

Mulgrew also hit out at Doherty's criticism of former Donegal manager Brian McEniff, who walked out of the meeting as a result

"This is a man who has been involved in Donegal football for 60 years."

Mulgrew and Bonner both hinted that they had not given up hope of landing the Donegal job - although they would not take the role unless there were changes at the county board's top table.

John Joe Doherty (left)met the selection committee on Friday past

"It would be a huge honour to manage the county," added Mulgrew.

"I believe I have the necessary skills. I'm not going to get into blowing my own trumpet but there is still fight in this dog."

Bonner described the interview process for the job as "fundamentally flawed".

"Under no circumstances could I manage a team or get involved in Donegal football that would have those guys at the top table," said Bonner.

"An awful lot of stuff will need to change over the next couple of days or couple of weeks but I don't think there is a great rush to appoint the new manager.

"Some day down the line I would love to get involved in again in Donegal football."

Bonner also said that the affair had convinced a number of businessmen to withdraw their cash support for Donegal support.

CAN IT GET ANY WORSE THAN THIS ???

BRIAN MC IVOR MUST BE ONE VERY HAPPY MAN AT THE MINUTE.

Puckoon

Mulgrew and bonner with soundbytes on BBC.

Mulgrew (paraphrased):

"We know the shenanigans and stuff thats been going on - everyone knows, but for legal ramifications it cant be talked about. But we know, and its going to stop."

What on earth is going on up there?

J70

I don't know what they're at. This sort of shite has been going on in Donegal for as long as I can remember. Maybe some of you will have a bit more sympathy for Martin McHugh's refusal to take the position all these years!

Puckoon

How could you have sympathy for Martin McHugh! I do however have a touch of sympathy for pettigo.

Seriously though - the conclusion will be interesting.

J70

Quote from: Puckoon on October 28, 2008, 07:46:34 PM
How could you have sympathy for Martin McHugh! I do however have a touch of sympathy for pettigo.

Seriously though - the conclusion will be interesting.

Pettigo!

They were always dirty bastards underage back in my day! Not sure what they're like now.

The only conclusion to this has to include the resignation of the responsible members of the board. I know one of them well, but he has not done himself any favours whatsoever here and should step down.

ExiledGael

Quote from: J70 on October 28, 2008, 07:43:46 PM
I don't know what they're at. This sort of shite has been going on in Donegal for as long as I can remember. Maybe some of you will have a bit more sympathy for Martin McHugh's refusal to take the position all these years!

Always thought wee Martin wouldn't touch the job as he hadn't the balls and the fear of failing kept him away.
Can't blame him now though.

Puckoon

You can feel sorry for pettigo - as its not all in donegal. Which is probably where the dirty bastards came from.

J70

Quote from: ExiledGael on October 28, 2008, 08:12:33 PM
Quote from: J70 on October 28, 2008, 07:43:46 PM

Always thought wee Martin wouldn't touch the job as he hadn't the balls and the fear of failing kept him away.
Can't blame him now though.

The county board was a big factor in it according to McHugh at various times. Besides, he has never struck me as someone who lacks self-belief!

orangeman

Declan Bonner and Charlie Mulgrew are awaiting the outcome of their meeting with the Donegal GAA Board's County Executive on Wednesday night.

The pair met with the Board to discuss the continuing controversy over the vacant county senior football post.

Mulgrew and Bonner thought they were about to land the Donegal job last week only for John Joe Doherty to be offered the role for a second time.

"It was fairly heated at times but we are now awaiting a reply," said Bonner.

The Donegal Executive are understood to have discussed their next move after the meeting with the pair.

Prior to the meeting, Mulgrew and Bonner said they planned to "put a number of questions to the board".

However, Bonner did state that the duo's position on the "shambles" remains unchanged from last Friday, when they made their displeasure abundantly clear in a BBC Radio Foyle interview.

Doherty held discussions with the five-man selection committee on Friday and county officials then took the decision to arrange a meeting with Bonner and Mulgrew.

Doherty's discussions with the five-man committee, comprised of chairman Sean Kelly, secretary Charlie O'Donnell, treasurer Charlie Cannon, former manager PJ McGowan and former player Sean Ferriter, are reported to have been amicable.

Glencolmcille club-man Doherty said he was "reasonably happy" with the course the meeting took.

After holding talks with Bonner and Mulgrew on Wednesday, the Donegal board planned to call a specially convened meeting of the county committee for early next month.

On Friday, Mulgrew and Bonner hinted in the BBC Radio Foyle interview that there were considering legal action after having the offer to manage the Donegal team withdrawn.

"This scenario is not going to die away," said Mulgrew.

"If that can't be done within the offices of the GAA, it will be done in some other office."

Both Mulgrew and Bonner insisted that their "integrity and honour" had been called into question by the events of the previous Wednesday night.

The Donegal GAA Board opted to revisit their original decision to offer the job to Doherty after the Glencolmcille man had been allowed to address the meeting in person.

Mulgrew made it clear that he was deeply unhappy that Doherty had been given the opportunity to speak at the gathering

orangeman

To emphasise the increasingly bitter nature of the affair, Mulgrew made clear his personal anger at Doherty's role in the sensational episode.

"To be classified as a former team-mate by that guy. As far as I'm concerned, I'm not a former team-mate (of his)."

Mulgrew also hit out at Doherty's criticism of former Donegal manager Brian McEniff, who walked out of the meeting as a result.

And under Brian Mc Ivor and John Joe Doherty, he wasn't going to be able to have an input - so he walked out !

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Jesus wept, Donegal county board tearing itself apart at the seams!

No matter which of the groups get the post now, they will never have the total support or respect of the people or the players! 
Gonna be a quiet year next year!  >:(
Tbc....

orangeman

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on October 30, 2008, 12:12:28 PM
Jesus wept, Donegal county board tearing itself apart at the seams!No matter which of the groups get the post now, they will never have the total support or respect of the people or the players! 
Gonna be a quiet year next year!  >:(

Did Mc Ivor not put all the bickering to the one side, being an outsider, or was he only ever papering over the cracks ?

J70

Quote from: orangeman on October 30, 2008, 11:02:42 AM

Mulgrew also hit out at Doherty's criticism of former Donegal manager Brian McEniff, who walked out of the meeting as a result.

And under Brian Mc Ivor and John Joe Doherty, he wasn't going to be able to have an input - so he walked out !

What is with the animosity towards McEniff that we see from many on this board?