Donegals next manager?

Started by Gaoth Dobhair Abu, September 02, 2008, 11:08:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who do you think will get the "poison" chalice? Two extra options added!

Declan Bonner
2 (4.9%)
Charlie Mulgrew
14 (34.1%)
John Joe Doherty
4 (9.8%)
Michael Houston
1 (2.4%)
Francie Martin
4 (9.8%)
Jim McGuinness
2 (4.9%)
Donegal County Board are making a laughing stock of themselves and the rest of the county!
14 (34.1%)
Brian McEniff
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 41

J70

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on October 08, 2008, 11:18:17 PM
Whos the favourite?

Can I ask, what experience of management has Jimmy McGuinness? I heard his name mentioned with Sligo if he doesnt get it from a source, likewise mulgrew..

Lastly when is the decision to be made?

McGuinness took a very young Glenties team to a senior county championship a couple of years back.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Speaking to my father there now, looking like its going to be a double ticket of Mulgrew with Bonner as his coach.
Tbc....

tyronefan

good man thanks for that Seanie  btw how business in the holywood

Puckoon

From BBC.

Charlie Mulgrew and Declan Bonner have formed a joint-ticket in a bid to be appointed as Donegal's new county senior football management.

The development is not unexpected as the pair have worked together before.

There is speculation ex-Tyrone trainer Paddy Tally will be part of the duo's backroom team if they are appointed.
John Joe Doherty and Jim McGuinness are also strong contenders for the job while Mickey Houston will also be interviewed on Tuesday evening.

The Voice Of Reason

Sounds like a pretty good ticket. I know Mulgrew isn't the most popular man in the county, but I think he probably has the best track record ... and obviously Bonner has inter-county management experience too (although I believe things didn't end up so well after he was at Gweedore?)

I'd be pretty happy with McGinness too, as I've heard someone once say that he was the best trainer they ever had take a training session, and I guess he was around the country a right bit when younger (Tralee, Belfast, etc.), so he should have some good well-rounded ideas ... the lack of experience is a possible drawback, but McIvor had no inter-county experience when we first hired him.

Barney

Why is Mulgrew unpopular?

I presume Bonner and himself are good friends from their playing days when they are going to go together

screenexile

Heard bad enough reports about him at Fermanagh... basiclly the players stumbled across a method of playing and it got them to an AISF replay.

Sounds like a good ticket though in fairness. Paddy Tally would be some coup! Why he has been in the inter county wilderness for the last few years is beyond me he's supposed to be class!

armaghniac

is this man the messiah to take Donegal to the promised land?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Whacker

Quote from: The Voice Of Reason on October 14, 2008, 09:25:44 PM
Sounds like a pretty good ticket. I know Mulgrew isn't the most popular man in the county, but I think he probably has the best track record ... and obviously Bonner has inter-county management experience too (although I believe things didn't end up so well after he was at Gweedore?)

I'd be pretty happy with McGinness too, as I've heard someone once say that he was the best trainer they ever had take a training session, and I guess he was around the country a right bit when younger (Tralee, Belfast, etc.), so he should have some good well-rounded ideas ... the lack of experience is a possible drawback, but McIvor had no inter-county experience when we first hired him.

What do you mean when he was younger?  Was that just not 2 years ago? ;)

FermGael

Quote from: screenexile on October 14, 2008, 11:39:06 PM
Heard bad enough reports about him at Fermanagh... basiclly the players stumbled across a method of playing and it got them to an AISF replay.

would agree and disagree with that slightly screen exile.
He probably is not up to date on the latest fitness regimes, has a bit of a habit of favouring certain players
But he is very good at spotting where a game is being won and lost and how to change it quickly.
As for stumling on a method of playing.  The players that fermanagh had that year meant that there was only one way of playing.
When you look back and see that squad, you really do wonder how they got so far with 15 players and 2 subs.  The rest of the panel never got a game.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Donegal Danny

Quote from: screenexile on October 14, 2008, 11:39:06 PM
Heard bad enough reports about him at Fermanagh... basically the players stumbled across a method of playing and it got them to an AISF replay.

Sounds like a good ticket though in fairness. Paddy Tally would be some coup! Why he has been in the inter county wilderness for the last few years is beyond me he's supposed to be class!
Don't believe everything Ciaran Mc Elroy tells you about Mulgrew.You can't deny that Fermanagh played far better than they ever did when Mulgrew was manager. Who else had the balls to drop the Gallagher's and finally the Fermanagh Team started to play as a team and not how Rory wanted to play. Very easy to say they stumbled across a method, but why didn't they do it under all their previous managers like Corrigan?
I pray to god that Mulgrew and Bonner get the job and Paddy Tally joins them although i wouldn't mind big Jim coming on board as well. With the draw we have next year i feel it is a great opportunity to get to an Ulster final and hopefully win it. Also the only reason the Gweedore lads don't like Bonner is because he stood up to them and they didn't do as they pleased, considering their past misbehaviour this is exactly what certain Donegal players need .

the Deel Rover

Was told at the weekend that a lad from ballina Eamon O' Boyle is manager of st Eunans can any of ye boys verify this
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Donegal Danny

Yes Eamonn O Boyle is the current St Eunan's manager, he had good success with a few under age teams in St Eunan's, and is also manager of their minor team who are in the county final this Saturday against St Michaels. He had Michael Mc Geehin as coach and trainer with the seniors who is linked with 4 of the 6 people in for the Donegal job. He has worked with John Maughan before in Mayo and Fermanagh as well as being the Limerick trainer this year under Mickey Ned O' Sullivan. He is head of some national coaching body based in the University Of Limerick so has all the "Badges".

FermGael

Quote from: Donegal Danny on October 15, 2008, 12:14:44 PM
Very easy to say they stumbled across a method, but why didn't they do it under all their previous managers like Corrigan?

Corrigan got them to the National League semi final and the All Ireland Quarters(where Tyrone tanked us).
Mulgrew did get them one step further but also got us relegated back into division 2a and then took Gallagher back after dropping him in O4.
We did get promoted in 05 but that was it.  No run in the qualifiers and a first round defeat in the Ulster Championship

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Donegal Danny

My prayers have been answered, Charlie Mulgrew and Declan Bonner will be appointed the new Donegal Senior team Management at a county board meeting next week. After all the interviews were concluded last night , the candidates were informed of the decision of the committee with Mulgrew and Bonner the preferred choice, all thats need to be done now is for them to be ratified next week by the clubs and this will be a formality.Sean Clearkin is joining them with Conal Sherdian from Omagh who trained Fermanagh for Mulgrew supposed to be the new trainer.