Donegals next manager?

Started by Gaoth Dobhair Abu, September 02, 2008, 11:08:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who do you think will get the "poison" chalice? Two extra options added!

Declan Bonner
2 (4.9%)
Charlie Mulgrew
14 (34.1%)
John Joe Doherty
4 (9.8%)
Michael Houston
1 (2.4%)
Francie Martin
4 (9.8%)
Jim McGuinness
2 (4.9%)
Donegal County Board are making a laughing stock of themselves and the rest of the county!
14 (34.1%)
Brian McEniff
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Donegal players have voiced their disgust at the way McIver was treated.
They have also criticized the county board and clubs for not discussing the situation with the players before the meeting.
They are to have a meeting next week to discuss the situation further.
Tbc....

J70

Quote from: JMohan on September 04, 2008, 10:10:22 AM
Quote from: J70 on September 04, 2008, 12:53:46 AM
Derry - at no stage did the management attempt to deal with Paddy Bradley. This game was winnable.

Monaghan - no complaints here - we were unlucky and on another day McIver would have been celebrating a significant win.

- I can't believe you didn't beat Monaghan this year ... Monaghan were ok on the day, but their passion and hunger for the win was far greater than Donegals. The problem was at midfield. Monaghan have two horses in there, not footballers and Donegal couldn't meet them blow for blow. That might be hard to take but I think Monaghan wanted it more than Donegal.

- As for Derry I think some people forget that at half time Paddy Bradley was hopeless and hadn't done a single positive thing, only for the Eoin lads goal Derry were heading home - Bradley got 2 points from play the rest were free's so I think in fairness the problem was again at midfield not Paddy Bradley.

I'm not defending McIvor or knocking Donegal ... just pointing out that even with a different manager the players will have problems to deal with.

Bradley didn't have his shooting boots on in the first half, but his running and ball-winning caused Donegal huge problems. He took us to the cleaners in the second half, winning free after free and tonnes of ball. Yes, Derry were on top at midfield in the final quarter, and midfield tends to be a problem for us in general, but Bradley was the key difference between the teams that day.

In the Monaghan game, Finlay was the difference, putting over tough frees that Donegal couldn't match. We did fine in terms of possession that day, and as I said, I have no complaints about the team or the men on the sideline in that game.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Right I've changed it to include the boys in the stir.
Could be any of them, personally I think Charlie Mulgrew has it, with Declan Bonner a close second!
Tbc....

orangeman

Brian Mc Eniff in disguise ??

What club is Mulgrew from ???

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: orangeman on October 01, 2008, 09:48:37 AM

St Eunans.
Tbc....

orangeman

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on October 01, 2008, 10:00:05 AM
Quote from: orangeman on October 01, 2008, 09:48:37 AM

St Eunans.

St. Eunans - that makes sense now ! Mc Ivor was got rid of by St. Eunans so that they could get their own man into the job. Devenney's career isn't over yet then !

Zapatista

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on September 04, 2008, 01:23:17 PM
Donegal players have voiced their disgust at the way McIver was treated.

If all the players had have attended training when requested it would have been a better show of support.

J70

Mulgrew wasn't the most popular with the players from what I heard when he was a selector back in Bonner's day. Will that have a bearing on today's squad, given that they're going to have a say? Would the installation of Francie Martin see the return of Ciaran Bonner and the wayward, uninterested, but talented Colin Kelly? Bonner didn't do too bad a job during his previous spell, given that there was no back door. We were unlucky not to win an Ulster title in '98 (I still say Geoffrey McGonigle pushed Noel McGinley in the back in the lead-up to Brolly's last-minute goal! :P), while we took the emerging Armagh to a replay in '99 and lost a tight match to the emerging Fermanagh in 2000. We were very unlucky to lose a high-scoring league semi to Offaly in '98 as well.

Given his previous experience and record with Fermanagh, I would expect Mulgrew to get it, unless politics or personalities come into it. The squad could probably use a bit of Tom Conaghan-style discipline, although I don't know if Mulgrew is that tough.

J70

I'm surprised to see Mickey Houston in there. He must be a decent enough manager though, as he took the Eunan's club to a few county titles, although that was when Devenney was in his young, unmarkable pomp.

aodhruadh

while none of the 6 candidates would exactly get your expectations up, at least we should be grateful that there are 6 people who want the job. Its only about 5 years since no one would touch it with a bargepole, and Brian Mc gave it one last spin.

orangeman

Quote from: J70 on October 01, 2008, 05:50:28 PM
Mulgrew wasn't the most popular with the players from what I heard when he was a selector back in Bonner's day. Will that have a bearing on today's squad, given that they're going to have a say? Would the installation of Francie Martin see the return of Ciaran Bonner and the wayward, uninterested, but talented Colin Kelly? Bonner didn't do too bad a job during his previous spell, given that there was no back door. We were unlucky not to win an Ulster title in '98 (I still say Geoffrey McGonigle pushed Noel McGinley in the back in the lead-up to Brolly's last-minute goal! :P), while we took the emerging Armagh to a replay in '99 and lost a tight match to the emerging Fermanagh in 2000. We were very unlucky to lose a high-scoring league semi to Offaly in '98 as well.

Given his previous experience and record with Fermanagh, I would expect Mulgrew to get it, unless politics or personalities come into it. The squad could probably use a bit of Tom Conaghan-style discipline, although I don't know if Mulgrew is that tough.

You'd be 100% right there too ! He did, the goal stood and Brolly came runnng along the Pat Mc Grane blowing kisses to all those seated there and those who were standing on the Hill.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Does anyone know anymore about the chances of contenders or timeline for completion?
Tbc....

J70

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on October 08, 2008, 01:31:04 PM
Does anyone know anymore about the chances of contenders or timeline for completion?

I think they're supposed to be sorting it out over the next few weeks.

I see they're planning a proper training facility for the county teams around Convoy as well.

aodhruadh

Great draw for Donegal... if ever the odds were in our favour to win a 1st Ulster Champ since 92, the draw has certainly been kind.
The new manager should relish the opportunity.

SLIGONIAN

Whos the favourite?

Can I ask, what experience of management has Jimmy McGuinness? I heard his name mentioned with Sligo if he doesnt get it from a source, likewise mulgrew..

Lastly when is the decision to be made?

"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"