Lyng's goal on Sunday, better than Mulligan's 2005 effort?

Started by T Fearon, September 02, 2008, 09:19:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynchbhoy

Quote from: his holiness nb on September 02, 2008, 02:52:30 PM
Quote from: Over the Bar on September 02, 2008, 02:43:08 PM
They disagree with your comments hhnb.

what that Mulligans goal was better and legal?

Strange for a Tyrone man to dissaprove of me saying that  ???

shut up ya Armagh fathead ! ! !

:D :D :D

his holiness nb

Quote from: Over the Bar on September 02, 2008, 03:05:47 PM
Ok wakey-wakey and smell the nut-roast cornflakes!     

1.You said mulligans goal was better. 
2. The originator of the thread and another Armagh poster said Lyng's was better. 
3. I said that's hardly surprising since they are from Armagh!

Right ye be  :-[
Ask me holy bollix

D4S

Just to chip in at this late stage I definitely think this thread is just anti-tyrone bias by T Fearon.  Mulligans goal I'm sure was infinitely better in the minds of 99% of people who have seen both.

As for the comment about the young meath players goal I know this is drifting away from this thread but I thought Brolly was a bit patronising after the game.  Was unfair of him to talk it down when this is a young fella who I'm sure would have got a boost to his confidence by hearing the pundits praising his goal after suffering a heavy defeat in an all ireland semifinal!  No need for it at all!
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

Model Hammer

Quote from: Hardy on September 02, 2008, 02:30:23 PM
I think you're right about Giles, Canalman. I wasn't at that match, but I think I remember seeing that in the highlights on TV.

Anyway,I'm sure you'll all change your minds about the greatest goal of all time when I remind you (how could you forget) about a certain Mr. Foley. Comes top of the list in all categories - quality of move, number of players involved, awareness, impact on the game, number of consecutive passes, number of defenders beaten, impact on the history of the game, absence of any hint of foul on ball or man and execution. And did I mention impact?

You forgot one category Hardy - the overcarrying. Tommy Dowd took 6 steps (from memory  :D) ....

Seriously though, referees are very reluctant to disallow goals for overcarrying. It seems they don't have the nerve to call the game back as the ball crashes to the net and the stadium explodes. Sean Cavanagh's goal v Dublin was an example. Fair enough, when lads are trying to escape from a challenge they do get the benefit of the doubt, but even with that consideration he way over-carried. And then there was the first Cork goal v Kerry in the drawn game, if I'm not mistaken ... and that's only in the last few weeks.

Now don't start me about john Fitzgibbon's winning "goal" in the 1990 Hurling Final ..!! And you're only allowed 3 steps in hurling!!

heffo

Quote from: lynchbhoy on September 02, 2008, 10:45:07 AM
Quote from: man in black on September 02, 2008, 10:43:27 AM
Quote from: Maximus Marillius on September 02, 2008, 10:36:47 AM
Quote from: man in black on September 02, 2008, 09:45:28 AM
mulligans goal was illegal

doesn't it show you how stupid some of the rules are when you have a ref here telling us it was illegal...thank god you were not in charge of that game...fussy p***k

You cannot throw the ball from one hand to the other. Yellow card for Maximus Dickamus
he didnt throw the ball from one hand to the other

fantastic and legitimate goal.

After Mulligan's second toe-tap he caught the ball with his right hand. Changed it to his left hand and dummied the defender by showing him the ball. All ok so far, but then he changed it back to his right hand to bounce. So he changed hands twice between the toe-tap and the bounce which is a foul. Have a look - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyeE9Xtksbc

Sandy Hill

Surely on the basis that he grossly overcarried the ball, Mulligan's goal was illegal. If you disregard that, certainly it was a great score, but.......................
"Stercus accidit"

Jinxy

Quote from: Hardy on September 02, 2008, 02:30:23 PM
I think you're right about Giles, Canalman. I wasn't at that match, but I think I remember seeing that in the highlights on TV.

Anyway,I'm sure you'll all change your minds about the greatest goal of all time when I remind you (how could you forget) about a certain Mr. Foley. Comes top of the list in all categories - quality of move, number of players involved, awareness, impact on the game, number of consecutive passes, number of defenders beaten, impact on the history of the game, absence of any hint of foul on ball or man and execution. And did I mention impact?

Yeah it was Giles alright. He was on the ground after a tackle and he just popped the ball out of the Armagh defenders hands with a deft little flick. He would only have been 18/19 then I think. Oh Trevor, we didn't get to see half enough of you. A truly outstanding footballer.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

JMohan

In fact Mulligans goal is almost an exact copy of a goal scored by a Monaghan man Ray McCarron back in the 80's I think in Clones or Breffini.

The funny thing is both players have almost identical builds and similar styles, barrell chested and great turn of pace.

tyssam5

Quote from: heffo on September 02, 2008, 04:12:07 PM

doesn't it show you how stupid some of the rules are when you have a ref here telling us it was illegal...thank god you were not in charge of that game...fussy p***k

You cannot throw the ball from one hand to the other. Yellow card for Maximus Dickamus

After Mulligan's second toe-tap he caught the ball with his right hand. Changed it to his left hand and dummied the defender by showing him the ball. All ok so far, but then he changed it back to his right hand to bounce. So he changed hands twice between the toe-tap and the bounce which is a foul. Have a look - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyeE9Xtksbc

No doubt had you been ref you would have completed this full analysis in real time and awarded a free out?

Puckoon

Thats how good a goal it was, he dummied the players, and the referee.

JMohan

Quote from: JMohan on September 02, 2008, 07:07:30 PM
In fact Mulligans goal is almost an exact copy of a goal scored by a Monaghan man Ray McCarron back in the 80's I think in Clones or Breffini.

The funny thing is both players have almost identical builds and similar styles, barrell chested and great turn of pace.
Against Cavan I think too

lynchbhoy

Nah Heff, dont agree...
you CAN change the ball from one hand to the other as long as the ball does not go from one to the other in mid air - Mulligan put both hands on the ball each time he 'changed ' hands - which is legal.
Rem seeing the goal from all angles at the time and could see nothing wrong with it then.
Def wont see anything wrong now with eyesight not getting better with old age!

Gabriel_Hurl

heffo

Quote from: tyssam5 on September 02, 2008, 07:17:33 PM

No doubt had you been ref you would have completed this full analysis in real time and awarded a free out?

Very unlikely I would've - but in the cold light of analysis he fouled the ball...

Gabriel_Hurl

did someone write his name in the ground and piss on it?