Gaelic Life

Started by Out in Front, December 30, 2006, 10:44:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 25, 2011, 09:51:13 PM
Was up in Cavan for the weekend and got this paper in the hotel. First time ever reading it, and I have to say I thought it was great. Good snapshot as an outsider about the Ulster Counties, and the club scenes there. Really enjoyed it. I wonder would there be a market to expand it, and go for a national edition, or maybe 4 provincials?

The club focus on Dunloy was very good as well. Well done lads.

It's available online as well AZ: www.gaeliclife.com
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ck

Interesting point indirectly raised there...
Why are O'Neills shops only in Ulster? I'm an Ulster man living in Connaught and can testify to the fact that Ulster is the strongest province in terms of a passion and hunger for GAA? GL Newspaper would suggest this is the case. Many other provinces have started up newspapers and magazines however only the Gaelic Life is thriving. Maybe the could expand to other provinces but it's the local/provincial charm that is its selling point, covering local stories at a grass roots level. Irish News would thrive on this also. The Irish dailies endeavour to do so but are dominated by Kilkenny, Kerry and Dublin.

AZOffaly

Quote from: ck on April 26, 2011, 01:05:20 PM
Interesting point indirectly raised there...
Why are O'Neills shops only in Ulster? I'm an Ulster man living in Connaught and can testify to the fact that Ulster is the strongest province in terms of a passion and hunger for GAA? GL Newspaper would suggest this is the case. Many other provinces have started up newspapers and magazines however only the Gaelic Life is thriving. Maybe the could expand to other provinces but it's the local/provincial charm that is its selling point, covering local stories at a grass roots level. Irish News would thrive on this also. The Irish dailies endeavour to do so but are dominated by Kilkenny, Kerry and Dublin.

I'm an Ulster man living in Connaught and can testify to the fact that Ulster is the strongest province in terms of a passion and hunger for GAA?

I call bullshit :D There are obviously factors why people in Ulster, and in FAT DAD particularly, wear their GAA leanings like a badge of honour, and I think that is wonderful to see. However, I can 'testify' to the fact that people in every province in Ireland have an equal 'passion and hunger' for GAA.

As for O'Neill's shops, I don't know why they are not in the republic, but I suspect they didn't need retail outlets down south, as every sports shop in the country would supply GAA jersies from them. Maybe they felt that they needed outlets in the north, especially as they are based there.

As for the Gaelic Life, I think the format is great. How many copies does it sell every week? I'd imagine that if costs were kept sensible, that a Munster 'gaelic life' would do well too. It's ironic that the reason Gaelic Life seems good to me is that it is partitionist :D Not politically, but on Provincial grounds. All publications 'down here' tend to be watered down by being too broad based. There's 32 counties in Ireland, and if you have a weekly/monthly that's trying to cater for all of them, you're probably on a loser. Also, you have to factor in the great news and notes sections in every local paper in the republic that gives a lot of the same info that's in the gaelic life.

NP 76

Big price difference to buy a jersey in O Neills and the likes of Elverys or other retailers in the South . I was in Cork city recently and saw a Cork jersey size large for 65 euro compared to 40 sterling at home

AZOffaly

Quote from: NP 76 on April 26, 2011, 02:14:28 PM
Big price difference to buy a jersey in O Neills and the likes of Elverys or other retailers in the South . I was in Cork city recently and saw a Cork jersey size large for 65 euro compared to 40 sterling at home

I noticed that myself, and that's obviously margin built in for Elverys. I'd imagine O'Neills could undercut every store in the south if they wanted to. Maybe they think it's not worth the bother.

johnneycool

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 26, 2011, 02:24:00 PM

I noticed that myself, and that's obviously margin built in for Elverys. I'd imagine O'Neills could undercut every store in the south if they wanted to. Maybe they think it's not worth the bother.

Sure, they're probably getting the same money on each sale but less hassle with overheads etc, etc.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 26, 2011, 02:24:00 PM

You'd imagine there'd be a market in Dublin for them at least though. I know they have the factory outlet on the Long Mile but I'm talking about a superstore in town. Especially now that Arnotts are no longer the sponsor of the Dublin teams...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

AZOffaly

Whereabouts is the store in Belfast? Heading up there for a couple of days at the end of May, and wouldn't mind picking up a few bits and pieces there. We're staying in the 'Cathedral Quarter' wherever the hell that is.

AZOffaly

Quote from: hardstation on April 28, 2011, 12:45:00 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on April 28, 2011, 12:40:09 PM
Whereabouts is the store in Belfast? Heading up there for a couple of days at the end of May, and wouldn't mind picking up a few bits and pieces there. We're staying in the 'Cathedral Quarter' wherever the hell that is.
A couple of stone throws from Casement.

What is, the shop, or the Cathedral Quarter?

ck

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 28, 2011, 12:40:09 PM

O'Neills in Belfast are on the Falls Road. Travel from the city towards Casement and it's on your left just after Sainsburys. Casement is about 600 meters further on.
Cathedral quarter is lovely. Some nice pubs around there. Enjoy.

AZOffaly

NP 76

I was in clearance shop last week and the fella told me that the clearance dept  is also moving to the Kennedy centre, so I would go there first to check it out. 

Fear ón Srath Bán

Great article on the '86 (Tyrone) team in it this week - Damien O'Hagan's musings.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ONeill

I don't really buy into the link though. You hear this all the time - 1986 or 1995 paved the way (or lit the flame) for our recent success. That's a load of bollix really. There is no link atall. Same for the U21 teams of the early 90s. The reason why Tyrone won 3 AIs is because they managed to garner a squad of players with excellent ability at the one time with an insightful manager. Tyrone is a big county - it should have happened more often.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

Mickey's anti-moustache policy in 2003 must've really stuck in McCrossan's throat in 2008 when he turned a blind eye to the beards.

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.