Gaelic Life

Started by Out in Front, December 30, 2006, 10:44:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred the red

Is this paper available throughout the North?

I usually pick up a paper when im at a petrol station, and very rarely would i see it stocked in shops. If it was there more people would buy it!

Maguire01

Yeah, distribution and availability is probably their biggest problem.

D4S

I have been buying the Gaelic Life since last summer and I think it's exellent! Gives great coverage to club and county.  Joe Brolly, Kevin McGourty & Pete McGrath write exellent articles every week in it.  I've never had a problem finding it, I normally buy it in The Tuck Shop Warrenpoint or Morgans Newsagents in Kilkeel.  Great section on club focus where they look at each county.  Very good analysis of matches.  I say keep up the good work I'd miss it if I didn't get my Gaelic Life Fix every Friday ;)
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

ziggysego

Quote from: fred the red on June 25, 2008, 11:52:18 AM
Is this paper available throughout the North?

I usually pick up a paper when im at a petrol station, and very rarely would i see it stocked in shops. If it was there more people would buy it!

Their website gives the location of all the shops it's available in.

In the North

In the South
Testing Accessibility

Maguire01

I enjoy Brolly's column.  Pete's can be pretty dry and dull.  McGourty's is consistently poor - waste of a page.

I also wish they'd add some editorial comment on the letters page - challenge the letters, or at least comment on them (they was Off the Fence does).  Then they might even get more letters (and not have to publish ones that have already been published by Off the Fence!).

ExiledGael

Quote from: Maguire01 on June 25, 2008, 01:48:49 PM
I enjoy Brolly's column.  Pete's can be pretty dry and dull.  McGourty's is consistently poor - waste of a page.

I also wish they'd add some editorial comment on the letters page - challenge the letters, or at least comment on them (they was Off the Fence does).  Then they might even get more letters (and not have to publish ones that have already been published by Off the Fence!).

Good idea, but it's very easy to come accross very bad out of the responses and lose readers. Need someone genuinely funny, editor Kennedy is doing pretty well out of the betting tips lately. Up another twenty five quid this week I think.
Agree Brolly is probably the best read in the paper.

SCENTOFSAM

definitely the best publication of its kind. Brolly anf Burns are excellent columns. Maybe a bit more club focus and on those who make the association tick. Overall it touches all aspects of the GAA in Ulster and it is the first thing I look for on the way home from work on a Friday.

ExiledGael

Anyone got any circulation figures? Is it sustainable? Presume it must be at this stage.

Uladh

McGrath's artic;es are bloody awful if you ask me. how many times does he make predictions that aren't witin an asses whinney of fact?

Maguire01

Quote from: SCENTOFSAM on June 25, 2008, 07:19:09 PM
definitely the best publication of its kind. Brolly anf Burns are excellent columns. Maybe a bit more club focus and on those who make the association tick. Overall it touches all aspects of the GAA in Ulster and it is the first thing I look for on the way home from work on a Friday.
The problem with club focus, where the story is specific to one club, is that a relatively small audience will be interested.

Uladh

Yes and similar with the features on groundsmen, underage coaches, etc. realistically, many less will read those types of articles.

ExiledGael

Agree on McGrath, very predictable. Though that seems to be the way. Watched repeats of the Fermanagh game on BBC and RTE both pundits on both channels tipped Derry before the game and again at half-time even though it was already evident Derry were awful.
It was even worse on TV3 the day after with three pundits all tipping Laois to beat Wexford. half-time came, Wexford were playing well and Loais were all over the place bar Parkinson and again all three said Laois would come good. Didn't see too many tipping Down v Tyrone either, if any.
You'd be as well just showing a graphic of a bookies odds.

Maguire01

One gripe i do have with GL is the picture caption competition.  It would seem that you could write anything and win - the winner is rarely remotely funny and clever, i'm assuming dur to lack of entries.  Must try it some time - try and bag a free mug!

Red Army

can you get gaelic life in Dublin. Ih avent seen it anywhere?

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility