Gaelic Life

Started by Out in Front, December 30, 2006, 10:44:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antrim Coaster

I would hope that that Gaelic Life will cover hurling a lot more than the few paragraphs that appeared in the first issue. I wish the paper well, but if it is going to turn into a football paper with lip service paid to hurling then I wont buy it in the future. More focus and articles on clubs would make a welcome read. 

ONeill

Quote from: Redhandfan on January 07, 2007, 09:30:04 PM
  A good range of articles but Ronan McSherry's piece on the Northern Siege Mentality was my favourite.   

A good spot. Glossed over this first time but on second reading this was an excellent article. Well resourced and splendidly regaled. I'd look forward to reading more of this style.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

never kickt a ball

Quote from: ONeill on January 08, 2007, 07:29:22 PM
Quote from: Redhandfan on January 07, 2007, 09:30:04 PM
  A good range of articles but Ronan McSherry's piece on the Northern Siege Mentality was my favourite.   
A good spot. Glossed over this first time but on second reading this was an excellent article. Well resourced and splendidly regaled. I'd look forward to reading more of this style.

Ronan had a readable piece in the Tyrone Herald today also. Keep it up Ronan!

ziggysego

Quote from: never kickt a ball on January 08, 2007, 07:46:46 PM

I don't read that tripe. Nothing news worthy in it.

Although.. I guess it's good for local football straight after the weekend.
Testing Accessibility

never kickt a ball

Quote from: ziggysego on January 08, 2007, 08:03:03 PM
Steady Ziggy. I just said I thought Ronan had written a good article today. Can I post it and you can decide for yourself or would I break copyright? Any thoughts?

ziggysego

Quote from: never kickt a ball on January 08, 2007, 08:14:52 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on January 08, 2007, 08:03:03 PM
Steady Ziggy. I just said I thought Ronan had written a good article today. Can I post it and you can decide for yourself or would I break copyright? Any thoughts?

Steady, I did say it was good for sports ;)
Testing Accessibility

Red Nose Red Hand

Quote from: Sludden on January 09, 2007, 12:00:29 AM
Irish News  report on the Mc kenna  tie between Tyrone and Queens , did not list all the subs  introduced ,  while in The Star report complied by  boxing reporter Gerry Gallen,  the article sugested  that the 5th Queens sub was Caolan Tierney , when in fact it was Shaun o Neill,  whilist he also talked about a fowl , instead of a foul  in the lead up to a Tyrone score . 

Chill out Sludden. Oh and, by the way, just talking about mistakes, he's Gerry Callan - not Gallen.

never kickt a ball

Quote from: Sludden on January 09, 2007, 12:00:29 AM
Irish News  report on the Mc kenna  tie between Tyrone and Queens , did not list all the subs  introduced ,  while in The Star report complied by  boxing reporter Gerry Gallen,  the article sugested  that the 5th Queens sub was Caolan Tierney , when in fact it was Shaun o Neill,  whilist he also talked about a fowl , instead of a foul  in the lead up to a Tyrone score . 

I know i can't talk either Sludden as my report on McK Cup game had inaccuracies (Gormley scored second point instead of Mugsy) but suggested is spelt with two g's and whilst is spelt like that too.

The Bottom Brick

The difference was that Sludden was posting on a message board, Gerry Callan was writing in a national daily newspaper. Sludden wasn't getting paid to type lazy shite!

I get the point though, it's a bit of a joke criticising someone for grammar and spelling and then making similar mistakes yourself as you do it!
33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

The Bottom Brick

ClosetotheHarte = ClosetoTheGame?

Hmmmm.....
33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

never kickt a ball

Quote from: ClosetotheHarte on January 09, 2007, 11:04:02 AM
Hate doing this again but what was Paul Marlow (who hase never kicked a ball for Tyrone before!) doing in the Team Of The Week at the back of the paper when he is carrying an injury that I'm told will keep him out of the McKenna Cup?
That's the last thing I'll say about the first issue. And by the way some of it wasn't bad!

Quotenever kicked a ball for Tyrone before
- Nothing wrong with that closetotheharte? Is there?
Anyway two things, he did play extremely well as a minor before he was injured and I think to be fair that was a team of players to look out forrather than a team of the week.

Mid Mon

QuoteMid Mon, you should know by now that the real GAA people operate at the other end of Blayney! Padraig and Raymond would never over-charge!

I thought I'd give my money to a Monaghan gael rather than an Armagh one. Don't see Peat with many Armagh flags up in the summer time.

Square Ball

Got my copy at last, long story and thanks PM  :-X Great reading, one thing just, where did you get the photo for Joe Brolly? the historical society, must be at least 15 years old, did he pick it himself? ;D
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

aontroim

Anyone bought it yet today? Anything worth the read?

ClosetotheHarte

Just got it although I haven't read anything in it yet. At first glance it does look better than last week's though and the content looks better too. The only thing I've read yet is the editor's bit near the start which was an apology for the mistakes last week. Fair play to him for bringing them up.
There was a bit of criticism on here after the first one (from myself amongst others) and it looks like they have reacted and upped the standard. I'm hoping to get a proper read of it through the weekend.
I think most (or all) of us would dearly like to see an all GAA paper lasting here in Ulster and I hope they can keep attracting the buyers with good stuff.