Gaelic Life

Started by Out in Front, December 30, 2006, 10:44:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aristotle Flynn

Why all the anger Pint of Guinness?
A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Aristotle Flynn on January 07, 2007, 09:36:16 AM
Why all the anger Pint of Guinness?
No real anger, I just can't stand shite talk.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Chompinatthebit

Not a bad first effort although not really much to get your teeth into. In fact I have almost gone from cover to back and with the exception of Brolly nothing would motivate me to buy it every week. Many of the pieces are very bland and 'lazy' with lack of facts in places. The design and layout are very good all the same but it looks like 'daily ireland' reincarnated with much of the same ideas as 'the game' but i'm sure things will improve as the season progresses. dont think the handball and hurling fraternity would be too impressed all the same as they are very much a big part of "gaelic life" but seem to be almost completely ignored. The ladies and camogie only looks a token gesture. Dont know what ever happened to the game but it was a much better read than this and yet it didnt last out the distance!!!! Will get over the next few weeks but if it doesnt improve dont think I wuld be adding to Irish Star on Tuesday, the Irish News and a few of the real good features in the sundays!

ziggysego

Well there was no football worth talking about last week. Give it to this Friday when there's plenty to talk about. After all, they are part sponsors of the Gaelic Life Dr McKenna Cup.
Testing Accessibility

aontroim

They would need to have some very unique insights on McKenna Cup games if it doesn't appear 'til Friday when everything will be talked to death by the dailies and discussion boards.

Square Ball

Quote from: never kickt a ball on January 06, 2007, 08:50:33 PM
Sunnyside Up still going strong Donagh?

Closed a while back. now a Chineese takeaway
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

cavanmaniac

Would have liked to take a look at it but the boy behind the counter in Easons on O'Connell Street looked genuinely bemused when I asked him about it.

Redhandfan

Credit where credit is due....Gaelic Life made an excellent debut.  It was a very enjoyable first issue and even better than I had anticipated.  If they can keep this standard up, I will certainly be buying it every Friday.  A good range of articles but Ronan McSherry's piece on the Northern Siege Mentality was my favourite.  Acouple of little faux pas here and there but it would be a bit churlish to highlight these.  Their fantasy football competition could be interesting and let's hope Red Knight Alan Rodgers also decides to buck his ideas up a bit!!!  Perhaps, hurling really is his first love after all....

Quote from: aontroim on January 07, 2007, 06:58:48 PM
They would need to have some very unique insights on McKenna Cup games if it doesn't appear 'til Friday when everything will be talked to death by the dailies and discussion boards.

aontroim makes a good point here.  I am not so sure I want to be reading a bland score by score account of each of the McKenna Cup games next Friday....it would be nice to see Gaelic Life take a different angle on each of the match reviews. 

Pangurban

Passable first edition, though think it will struggle to find its identity in currently crowded media market. Columnist like Burns and Brolly are very good, but other content is bland. As the season progresses the analysis of teams will become boring and repetitive, and they are too late in the week for match reports.  More features on history, administration, club development, role of GAA and competitions would broaden its appeal base. Wish it luck and will continue to support,while remaining pessimistic about long term prospect of survival

bigpaul

Have to say, I was very disappointed with Gaelic Life on Friday!There was absolutely no attempt at innovation,which I would expect from a new publication.The 'Five minutes with' features didn't include one question that I haven't seen somewhere in the previous thirty years since that type of thing first appeared,in fact the questions are more banal now than in 1975,how the f**k could you buy Eoin Liston or Mickey (sic) Sheehy on a transfer market if it did exist?Jarlath Burns and Joe Brolly are boring me now,I see enough of them on television(somebody please tell them that something is funny the first time,not when it is repeated 500 times later. By the way,could the editor not have pointed out that they were using the same tired anecdote,or did he read their submissions?)I thought that they used the best of 'The Game' and did it poorly.From a personal point of view, I think that the most interesting pieces in 'The Game' were provided by Eamon Coleman and one of the most interesting Gaelic Games columnists is Benny Tierney,I would love to see more articles from players and managers, who performed at the highest level,giving their insights into past events and views on today's games!

Chompinatthebit

I would have to agree with bigpaul. eamon coleman was excellent in the game and probably the best read of any columnist as you knew he was talking straight from the heart whereas brolly (while very good) is at most times putting on a show. the more i have looked at it i think it will struggle badly to hold on to readers as 95% of the articles in it are just simply poor!

realredhandfan

Im happy with Gaelic Life, and theyhave had an understandably slownews start.  Lets get into the nitty gritty.  Id love someone to investigate Seamus Mc Cloys claims on inefficiency in Croke Park.  Id like to see a serialisation of Donal Mc Anallans thesis on the troubles and the GAA.  Id like Jerome Quinn to have an input being an Omagh man! 

Mid Mon

Was charged €1.50 in Centra Castleblayney even though it clearly states special introductory price of €1

SlimShady

woman in the shop tried to do the same with me, i soon let her know the correct price!! speak up mid mon, if you dont ask you wont get!

giveherlong

Anyone have an idea of the amount paid by Gaelic Life to the Ulster Council for Sponsorship of the McKenna Cup?