Gaelic Life

Started by Out in Front, December 30, 2006, 10:44:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Its good to see Brolly on board, no matter if you like him or not he writes a good article.  Always good craic and holds nothing back, although big Brian Mc Gilligan is always featured in his articles.  Havent seen the Derry Journal in a while, was wondering if he was still putting in his 'Brollys Bites' column.  Was some laugh.  Would like to see Martin Mc Hugh on board too, writes a good article every week for the Irish Star.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

cavanmaniac

Saw the ad for Gaelic Life on the TV last night, it seems these boys aren't messing about so far anyway.

Best of luck to all concerned I hope the quality is as high as the marketing suggests, although the demise of other titles in the past doesn't bode well. Oddly it seems to be only the lower quality ones with less ambition and lower costs, that seem able to keep the show on the road. ;)

ONeill

Quote from: cavanmaniac on January 04, 2007, 03:15:16 PM
Oddly it seems to be only the lower quality ones with less ambition and lower costs, that seem able to keep the show on the road. ;)

Too true, too true....
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ziggysego

With the TV ad and them sponsoring the Dr. McKenna Cup, I'm beginning to think that prehaps this weekly Ulster GAA paper could last the distance.
Testing Accessibility

ONeill

I hope so. However, the challenge is to remain true to its principles - to publish weekly - instead of the teamtalk/gaelic game slide into once-in-a-while. The advertising campaign is most encouraging.

rolloutking

I found with the game that generally it lacked sufficient detail on topics other than football. The hurling section usually only had fixtures and the odd article on down or antrim, nothing on the other counties. The camogie section was worse and the ladies football wasnt great either. Although, i have to say i only bought the game for the handball section and Chris Curran always managed a page or two when there was very little to write about.

sawel

First impressions is very good. Although it is Omagh based I am of the opinion it will only be successful if it is not "parochial in theme".
However as a Derry man we get "the herald" from the same stable every week and it is easily one of the better weekly local papers.There has obviously been alot of thought and professionalism put into this product and i think it will do well in what is a very competitive market.

tayto

I know the national papers all focus on Dublin too much for a lot of pople's liking [i can see why] but we don't have much in the way of local papers in dublin, the Herald is about it, good Dublin club coverage on tuesdays but i think outside dublin you've got better local coverage.

MrC

Have to say, am impressed with this first edition and it can only get better as the year progresses.

Only complaint I have thus far is there's a pic of Eamonn McGee with the caption stating it's Neil Gallagher
'Sam's For The Hills' - Anthony Molloy, 20th September 1992

ONeill

Apart from the grainy cover pic, an impressive debut. The cynic in me would say that they'll never keep a 48-page weekly going throughout the year but having read the first issue there seems to be a determination to go about it the correct way. The type-setting is excellent. Hopefully when the games are flowing thick and fast we won't have 4-5 match reports of the same game. I'd say the hurling/camogie/handball followers are disappointed but there's plenty of time yet.

First issue - 8/10

robertemmet

well done, we need a regular GAA paper to promote our games.  i hope these boys can sustain this paper.  Keep it coming lads

SouthArmaghBandit

Out in Front

Gaelic Life is being distributed around Ulster by one of the main newspaper wholesale suppliers.
If you can't get it in your area please let us know - even a post here as to what village, town etc you are in.
Better still tell us the name of the shop and we'll do our best to get copies distributed to it - email: editor@gaeliclife.com

PW :)

tayto

Any chance you'll bring out a leinster version??? pooooor us!  ;D

BottleOfStout

Excellent read, but as expected lip-service to hurling etc.  Perhap rename to Gaelic Football Life.   Brolly doesnt hide his views of GPA !!!!!!