Brian McIvor Quits Donegal

Started by Barney, September 02, 2008, 09:08:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

loughshore lad

Quote from: The GAA on September 05, 2008, 01:33:03 PM

This may be herisy(sp) here but i don't think McIvor is good enough for county management. lads who have played under him at ballinderry openly describe him as a decent manager who had the foresight to have great men like dessie ryan in his back room team and a lot of them had a much healthier respect for barton. a decent club manager is hardly a ringing endorsement for stepping into county managementand in my view he has made no progress with donegal.

Orangeman - you should excuse yourself from this discussion as you are obviously related to McIvor.

LOL - what a load of balls. 

Ask any of the posters on here or if you are ever talking to any of the players from Ballinderry who actually played under Brian and they will tell you he was most definitely in charge of that team.  Dessie Ryan has been in the background for Ballinderry on numerous occassions both before and after Ballinderry won the All Ireland and Ballinderry didnt win anything in those years. 

The GAA

Sorry, should have said "all ardboe lads should excuse themselves". in fairness lads, you're hardly offering objective opinions.

i've never met brian mcivor, 'm smply relating the opinions of those i know who have.

had brian any other managerial experience before or after ballinderry?

orangeman

Quote from: The GAA on September 05, 2008, 01:33:03 PM

This may be herisy(sp) here but i don't think McIvor is good enough for county management. lads who have played under him at ballinderry openly describe him as a decent manager who had the foresight to have great men like dessie ryan in his back room team and a lot of them had a much healthier respect for barton. a decent club manager is hardly a ringing endorsement for stepping into county managementand in my view he has made no progress with donegal.

Orangeman - you should excuse yourself from this discussion as you are obviously related to McIvor.

The only people who should excuse themselves from this discussion, with respect to you, are people like you who openly admit they don't know Mc Ivor or anything about him. It was a total fluke that Barton had been trying to gain success with this team and won the All Ireland with Ballinderry as soon as Barton left. This All Ireland title now sits proudly in the trophy cabinet alongside all the other All Ireland club tiltes that Ballinderry have won all down the years when they had much better sides eg. when Pat, Adrian, Terence Mc Guckin and all the other Ballinderry greats.
But whilst Mc Ivor isn't county management material, Barton has been touted for the Derry job and every other job that comes free. Funny that, isn't it !  ;) ;)

orangeman

had brian any other managerial experience before or after ballinderry?

Na - he just won an All Ireland club title with Ballinderry out of the blue, not having taking any other team before - as I said above a pure fluke !!!!  ;) ;)

The GAA

with every post you illustrate your lack of objectivity - there's a new manager almost every year who delivers all ireland club titles and a multitude of factors in them achieving that. are these all suitable for county management?

now, you never answered the question about other management experience.

orangeman

Quote from: The GAA on September 05, 2008, 04:17:15 PM

with every post you illustrate your lack of objectivity - there's a new manager almost every year who delivers all ireland club titles and a multitude of factors in them achieving that. are these all suitable for county management?

Ask the Ballinderry men - sure did they not tell you all about him ?  ;)

You're not Dromintee by any chance ?  ;)

Off The Fence

Quote from: Donegal Danny on September 05, 2008, 12:43:04 PM
I think if Crossan knew anything about the St Eunan's club and Brendan Devenney then he would know that the club couldn't give a dam whether or not DV was playing and most people in St Eunan's were glad he wasn't with the county this year because he was training and playing very well for the club. To say that Mc Iver is good on discipline is wrong, make no mistake about it, there are plenty of Donegal footballer out there who still over step the mark when it comes to discipline and do not have the required dedication to be top class inter county-players.
Mc Iver had 3 years in change, won a N.F.L, but his championship record is poor. Do people forget the hammering Tyrone gave us in the Ulster Semi Final last year in Clones before the shocking display against Monaghan in Omagh. After this game he said he had taken this team as far as he could, that there were no natural scoring forwards in Donegal, and that club football was useless and he didn't have the stomach to drive to Castlefinn again for winter training. After all this can anyone please explain to me why our County board re appointed him for another 3 years. Lets face it he was getting good money from the big backers in Club Donegal and this is why he suddenly got a change of heart.

I don't completely blame Brian Mc Iver but after 3 years in charge and no championship progress never mind sliverware it was clear that clubs wanted him out, to blame St Eunan's is too easy, they were simply the brave ones who stood up and said what the majority of clubs and G.A.A people in the county felt. Just look at yesterdays Donegal Democrate and you can clearly see that people wanted change and felt Mc Iver's time was up. The County Executive are the real people to blame because they knew what was going to happen but chose to ignore it and left MC Iver and the St Eunan's delegate who we must remember had been mandated by his club to cal for a vote of No Confidence if it became clear that he wasn't going to step down. The County Executive should have told Mc Iver before the meeting what was coming but they didn't .Ask yourself the question "why didn't tell Mc Iver".Did they secretly want him out to but were afraid to stand up to him. Leaders are there to lead and our County Executive didn't lead on Monday night.

And you know he is not good on discipline how exactly?

Lads and lasses, lets face it, McIver got absolutely shafted by a dictatorship Mugabe would be proud of, there way or the high way.  They dont want an outsider in and lord help whoever takes control because if I was in any sort of a position to manage a county team, I wouldnt step foot in Donegal after what just happened!  As someone already pointed out, Screenexile perhaps, this could come back and bite Donegal in the hole big time!

The GAA

Quote from: orangeman on September 05, 2008, 04:19:58 PM
Quote from: The GAA on September 05, 2008, 04:17:15 PM

Ask the Ballinderry men - sure did they not tell you all about him ?  ;)

You're not Dromintee by any chance ?  ;)

Hardly - what would that have to do with it?

The point here is that you are making this a personal issue and those who don't know brian should butt out, that couldn't be more wrong. i'm judging the man on perormance and obviously the donegal clubs are too.

The GAA

Off The Fence

Quote from: The GAA on September 05, 2008, 04:27:39 PM
Quote from: Off The Fence on September 05, 2008, 04:23:31 PM
They dont want an outsider in

What are you basing that conclusion on?

Sorry what it should have said was they dont want an outsider in telling them how to run things.  I'd say from talking to people who know McIver was pretty forceful and straight-talking and they wouldnt have wanted that

The GAA

Lads and lasses, lets face it, McIver got absolutely shafted by a dictatorship Mugabe would be proud of,

The other point is that this issue was raised at a democratic meeting of all the clubs. surely clubs are entitld to a say like everyone else? if this was such a miscarriage of justice then where was the voices of reason among the other clubs?

billy the kid

Could be wrong but was he not involved with Arboe in Tyrone at a time but maybe that was underage.

B McIvor def got shafted and I think McEniff was in on it. His comments in the paper the other day basically amounted to "he got what he deserved"

Like exile I would be over the moon if he took the Derry job but alas that seems unlikely as he said he was gonna take a break for a while.

Going by the people and players from Ballinderry he is a great manager and I really think Donegal could rue the day they cast him aside.
If it moves hit it
If it doesnt hit it anyway!!

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Would be interested to know the answer to that myself, alot of people on here talking about Donegal GAA being almost xenophobic - its a bit rich, after the dismissal of one manager (albeit done in a disgraceful way). Not one poster has backed up their claims of Donegal GAA being insular with any evidence!
Tbc....

RMDrive

Quote from: Off The Fence on September 05, 2008, 04:31:17 PM

Sorry what it should have said was they dont want an outsider in telling them how to run things.  I'd say from talking to people who know McIver was pretty forceful and straight-talking and they wouldnt have wanted that

But that's just your opinion right? And who are "They"?

armaghniac

QuoteNot one poster has backed up their claims of Donegal GAA being insular with any evidence!

well despite being the biggest county, they've shown little interest in winning the Ulster championship.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B