Brian McIvor Quits Donegal

Started by Barney, September 02, 2008, 09:08:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

It's not like the players are asking for a veto on any appointments to the managerial position, they are just looking to have a say/representation on the selection panel, which imho should be the case for every county.
Tbc....

orangeman

Quote from: screenexile on September 09, 2008, 10:31:47 AM
What possible reasoning could McHugh have for not allowing players have a say in who manages the team? They're the ones who have to deal with the man the most so I would have thought the fact that they get a say would be a good thing?

Don't understand Mc Hugh at all - is it just to have something to say ? Is he paid by the word ?

RMDrive

The players statement was released through the GPA. Should this fact be remembered when deciding if the players should have a say? Is the expectation that all counties will give the players a say? Which players will represent the panel? GPA members or anyone? Is a manager that the players want, the manager that will get the job done? Do you have to be "liked" by the players in order to be a good and effective manager? Who would interview the prospective managers? Sureely the players couldn't be involved?
IMO this is a complex question and any move to allow the players have an influence must be carefully thought out and proper procedures put in place. Ultimately all I care about is that the best possible person for the job is recruited and given the position. I don't care who does the selecting or interviewing as long as the process is fair and yields the right result.

Uladh

Quote from: RMDrive on September 09, 2008, 01:13:28 PM
Ultimately all I care about is that the best possible person for the job is recruited and given the position. I don't care who does the selecting or interviewing as long as the process is fair and yields the right result.

And if someone among the playing numbers could make a positive contribution toward assessing the best possible candidate, surely you'd be happy with them contributing?

RMDrive

Quote from: Uladh on September 09, 2008, 01:35:17 PM
Quote from: RMDrive on September 09, 2008, 01:13:28 PM
Ultimately all I care about is that the best possible person for the job is recruited and given the position. I don't care who does the selecting or interviewing as long as the process is fair and yields the right result.

And if someone among the playing numbers could make a positive contribution toward assessing the best possible candidate, surely you'd be happy with them contributing?

Of course. Just as long as that player was representing the views of the entire panel.

Uladh

ideally that would be the case but is that essential? do the county board represent the views of all f the clubs?

orangeman

Quote from: Uladh on September 09, 2008, 01:46:32 PM

ideally that would be the case but is that essential? do the county board represent the views of all f the clubs?

Of course not ! Otherwise DOnegal wouldn't be in the situation they find themselves in right now.

RMDrive

Quote from: Uladh on September 09, 2008, 01:46:32 PM

I suppose it would have to be voted on or something. The team would probably vote on a list of qualifications and attributes that they would like the manager to have and then the players rep(s) would make sure that these were emphasised during the selection process.
I dont have a problem with the idea in general but I'd hope that Donegal aren't the guinea pigs for a push by the GPA to gain a foothold in management selection. And while senior squad members would have been around long enough to have a good idea of what is needed from an IC manager, surely some of the younger lads would be overly influenced by the own club experience? Is the manager that the players would want the manager that would bring success to the county? A manager has to have a vision of things that demands that everyone gives more than they think they are capable of. Is this what the players (specifically the Donegal players) would want? Surely some of the Kilkenny hurlers have looked at Brian Cody over the last year and thought ... "What an absolute #£$%^^&. He's going to kill me". But look where he took them.
I don't know the answers Uladh. Just that we shouldn't rush into something without having thought it through completely.

J70

Quote from: Whacker on September 09, 2008, 08:47:44 AM

What do the Donegal Posters think of players having their say?

Don't really know myself. This is hardly a question for just the Donegal posters though. Could (and possibly will) be any number of other counties in this situation.