Brian McIvor Quits Donegal

Started by Barney, September 02, 2008, 09:08:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney

QuoteDonegal manager Brian McIver has stepped down from his position after three years in charge.

McIvor was called before a meeting of the county board on Monday night and after saying that he felt a sense of negativity from some clubs, he decided to step down.

Donegal went out of this year's Championship when they were beaten in the qualifiers by Monaghan, this came after they knocked out of the Ulster Championship by Derry.

McIvor had been in charge since 2005 and led the county to a National League title in 2007 and an All-Ireland quarter-final in 2006.

Elsewhere, Seamus McEnaney has been re-appointed as manager of the Monaghan senior football team for another year.

Off The Fence

That could shake up the Derry job now.

McIvor and Big Adrian perhaps?

screenexile

I would say quit is the wrong word to use in this instance. McIver was very happy to continue his tenure as Donegal boss (as were the players who backed him as soon as they were put out against Monaghan!) but it looks like the clubs were none too happy with him staying and made sure their feelings were well known. It is their prerogative I suppose and that's how democracy works but it's been very badly handled from what I can see.

Donegal's loss anyway IMO. I think he would be a good man for the Derry job so hopefully he throws his hat in the ring for it!

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Its Donegals loss alright, what were the clubs thinking about!
Does anyone know which clubs objected?
Tbc....

Maximus Marillius

Is it me or is Mc Ivor that moody. He sounds like a moody woman. Threw the head up in Donegal the previous summer and then because some clubs make their feelings known that he did not like he walks again. It wasn't like he had to go the county executive was backing him. Mc Eniff has been involved in orchestrating this move also.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on September 02, 2008, 09:30:35 AM
Is it me or is Mc Ivor that moody. He sounds like a moody woman. Threw the head up in Donegal the previous summer and then because some clubs make their feelings known that he did not like he walks again. It wasn't like he had to go the county executive was backing him. Mc Eniff has been involved in orchestrating this move also.

I was under the opinion that McEniff, the players, the excutive etc... had all given their backing to McIver.
Did he just throw the rattle out of the pram with a bit of negativity from some of the clubs? Interesting idea, has gotten me thinking.
Tbc....

lynchbhoy

Donegal were never happy about a non donegal man as manager.
Much and all as I like many donegal folk, they are as insular as fcuk and dont take to 'outsiders'.
Worse than normal Irish insular practice.
They weren't joking when they sang - 'lets Build a wall around Donegal' !

Would love to see McIver take the Derry job, prob will realise that Harte is going to be with Tyrone for another while now that he has taken them to the AI final, and give up on getting the Tyrone gig for the moment.

orangeman

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on September 02, 2008, 09:25:28 AM
Its Donegals loss alright, what were the clubs thinking about!
Does anyone know which clubs objected?

Obviously Brian had brought discipline,new structures, good organisation and new ideas which whilst these were received well by the team, were not liked by a minority of clubs - it seems Brian Mc Eniff asked clubs who were not happy to make their feelings known at last night's county board meeting - what was his agenda ? Is he looking for his old job back ? If he is, this is not a very nice way of doing that !

Brian's modern methods and demands were not universally accepted by the clubs and in hindsoght Brian was a victim of his own success - a national title in his first year was too much too soon.

But Brian will get a job very quickly and Donegal will revert to the good old partying days where they don't come home after a match until the middle of the week !

Flex

I believe the meeting last night was a rough one...  Highland Radio has been on the subject for most of the morning as well with McIvor also being interviewed...

Basically, he was faced with no choice but to tender his resignation.  One club tabled a vote of no confidence, and this was backed very quickly by others...

orangeman

What was Mc Ivor supposed to have done or not done ? What were the clubs complaining about ?

It's funny that the players had given him total support and the clubs weren't happy.

It sounds to me like a prominent figure or two weren't happy so got a few mates rallied and shafted Brian.

ONeill

It does seem McEniff has his hand in this.

I don't think McIvor has been a success overall, despite his NFL. Last year's 'I quit, no I don't' wasn't the most stabilising of approaches - a bit like Crozier. Must be a shore thing.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

MrC

Interesting the two clubs that proposed (St Eunans) and seconded (Gaoth Dobhair) have quite a few players on the county squad between them. It has been common knowledge in Donegal this last couple of weeks that Brian was going to be in 'trouble' last night. Certainly the rumour of a no-confidence motion was doing the rounds for the last week or so.

'Sam's For The Hills' - Anthony Molloy, 20th September 1992

screenexile

My take on it would be that Donegal folk (much like us Derry folk actually) believe they have the players to compete at the highest level and that McIver has had 3 years and been unable to deliver it.

I would disagree as I think it was evident against us and Monaghan that Donegal have a few weaknesses in their team, notably in the FB line, and MF. Unlike Crozier who didn't have a defined gameplan for us McIver did and the team executed it to perfection against us that day. As I said though they struggled with PB and the big midfield men we brought on which ultimately led to them losing the game by a little bit. I don't think McIver was the man to blame but if it's what the people of DInegal wanted then it's their call!

Hardy

He had to go. You can't have the manager putting "whatdyacallit" into every sentence. Confusion on the dressing room.

Off The Fence

For me, 2 parts to the problem. 

1)County Board dont like someone with their own ideas and will stand up to them.  Too many old fogeys in it that is afraid of change.

2) Alot of the players dont like to be told what to do either.  Dont like drink bans, dont like to be told they are playing in different positions, dont like to be told to get their heads out of their holes and play football.

Would say that has alot to do with it!