EXCLUSIVE NEWS: Tyrone GAA - SoN is Back!

Started by filthylittlebeast, September 01, 2008, 10:40:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Id say he should have taken the medal. He said he didnt earn it but he was still part of the panel which won it and despite him saying he had a poor game it was SON's brilliant pass which set up the goal. Personal choice though and fair play to him. The main thing is the Cup itsef is in Tyrone ;D.

Really hope he stays injury free over the next couple of years as he sounds like he is motivated to play a far bigger role than he managed in 2008.

SidelineKick

Quote from: supersarsfields on November 27, 2008, 08:05:28 PM
Sideline what is it your saying? Are you trying to say Son wants the attention regarding not accepting the medal. I'd say nothing could be further from the truth. He made a personal decision that he felt he didn't derserve a medal.  That's it. And I can understand that, he seems really annoyed about his performance. So to read anything more into than that seems to be looking for something that's not there.

No not at all, He seems very genuine.  All I'm saying is why did he just not take it and say nothin. I have a few medals that I didn't earn but I also don't go around shouting that I have them, that's cos I know I haven't earned it.  Didn't stop me accepting it and putting it in a drawer out of the way.

I honestly don't think he was looking attention just think he should have taken it and said nothing.  His choice I suppose.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

SidelineKick

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on November 27, 2008, 07:48:32 PM
Quote from: SidelineKick on November 27, 2008, 02:58:58 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on November 27, 2008, 12:27:42 PM
Quote from: SidelineKick on November 27, 2008, 11:22:32 AM

7 Ulster titles from last 9 10 and an All Ireland.  Big game bottlers alright  ::)

I'll try to break this to you gently: ULSTER GAMES ARE NOT THAT BIG OF GAMES! *

* I failed!

Yeah pathetic alright  ::)

Erm, you mean to say that you do think that Ulster games are as big as All-Ireland games?  ::)

Please stop making yourself look stupid its starting to annoy me.  Obviously AI Finals are the biggest games you can play in, but to say an Ulster final is not a big game (regardless of back doors or not) is completely stupid statement.

Reported.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: SidelineKick on November 28, 2008, 01:07:24 PM
Please stop making yourself look stupid its starting to annoy me.  Obviously AI Finals are the biggest games you can play in, but to say an Ulster final is not a big game (regardless of back doors or not) is completely stupid statement.

You break my heart (especially after the muck you've been spreading about Stevie O'Neill on this thread).

1. I didn't say the Ulster Final is not a big game, I said it's not as big of a game as those beyond the provincials.
2. I understand your sensitivity, I'd be sensitive too perhaps, but then again, I wouldn't.
3. Please try to comprehend the written word in future.
4. Would Armagh swap all of those 7 Ulster crowns for one more All-Ireland (rhetorical)?
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

SidelineKick

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on November 28, 2008, 01:32:01 PM
Quote from: SidelineKick on November 28, 2008, 01:07:24 PM

You break my heart (especially after the muck you've been spreading about Stevie O'Neill on this thread).

1. I didn't say the Ulster Final is not a big game, I said it's not as big of a game as those beyond the provincials.
2. I understand your sensitivity, I'd be sensitive too perhaps, but then again, I wouldn't.
3. Please try to comprehend the written word in future.
4. Would Armagh swap all of those 7 Ulster crowns for one more All-Ireland (rhetorical)?

1) You did not say that, have a look at your red writing, no mention of after Provincials.
2) Why would I be sensitive? I am not from Armagh as already stated.
3) If you want me to comprehend do not write something then in a later post try to make it mean something else.
4) I do not know. Personally I would rather have 3 AIs and 3 Ulsters (Tyrone) compared to 7 Ulsters and 1 AI (Armagh), that however was never the issue so I don't know why you are raising it now.
5) What muck have I been spreading?

Reported.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: SidelineKick on November 28, 2008, 01:49:49 PM
1) You did not say that, have a look at your red writing, no mention of after Provincials.

THAT BIG OF A GAME connotes that it's in comparison to something else (which can only be All-Ireland games in this context), or do you need all the dots joined?

Good question.

3) If you want me to comprehend do not write something then in a later post try to make it mean something else.

Dots and joins?

4) I do not know. Personally I would rather have 3 AIs and 3 Ulsters (Tyrone) compared to 7 Ulsters and 1 AI (Armagh), that however was never the issue so I don't know why you are raising it now.

To demonstrate that there's no comparison between provincials and All-Irelands.

5) What muck have I been spreading?

So the ascription of malign motives when you really haven't a clue isn't muck-spreading?

SidelineKick

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on November 28, 2008, 01:59:13 PM

THAT BIG OF A GAME connotes that it's in comparison to something else (which can only be All-Ireland games in this context), or do you need all the dots joined?

No, if you had have said "compared to the AI" then it would have had that connotation.  To leave it as "NOT THAT BIG A GAME" gives the impression you do not think Ulster is worth even talking about.

[/quote]

Good question.
[/quote]

Good questions need answers.

Dots and joins?
[/quote]

I am not a mind reader, I can only see what is written in front of me, which again let me state, did not compare Ulster to anything and nowhere did you try to compare it to anything.

To demonstrate that there’s no comparison between provincials and All-Irelands.

This is a completely new dicsussion.  I have already said I would prefer 3 and 3 so would anyone. I refer back to the point that you say Ulster games are not big games...NOT IN COMPARISON TO ANYTHING.

So the ascription of malign motives when you really haven’t a clue isn’t muck-spreading?

I never once said "he did it for this" or "i heard he did it because...".  I solely gave my opinion on the matter and i stand by that....he should have taken the medal and said nothing.  He seems genuine but I think this issue would always have been reported once found out so to take the medal would have avoided all this. He could have thrown it over the hedge after that.

This is getting tiresome  ::)

Reported.

Fear ón Srath Bán

SidelineKick

Reported.

Fear ón Srath Bán

SidelineKick

Ok

Because I couldn't any more right if I tried!

:D

Reported.

Fuzzman

Missed the interview lads and only reading this thread now.

The link has changed so wondering does anyone have the original saved anywhere?

I think its a case of He's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't
I think Stevie is quite a self concious guy and would hate to think that loads of people think he just did it for the glory and the handy medal and so he has gone to such extremes now to make sure that's not the case.

I think the article on the BBC from Enda Mcginley is very interesting read as below.
Especialy the bit about what would he and others say if they lost by a few points and he wasnt playing but was fit again.
I'd say that was eating at him but he was kinda in a lose lose battle and you could see in the match how disappointed he was to kick a few wides.
Unfortunately this episode will stick with him for the rest of his life I fear but fair play to a few of ye on here like ardmhachaabu who sums it up well for me
And fair play to you for your last line.

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?action=post;topic=9217.570;num_replies=573
Tyrone's Enda McGinley hopes Stephen O'Neill will be able to reflect fondly on last weekend's All-Ireland triumph over Kerry in the years to come.

O'Neill was reluctant to get involved in the Tyrone team's celebrations at Croke Park given his much-publicised return to the squad three weeks ago.

But McGinley has insisted that O'Neill has "nothing to be embarrassed about".

"The players were absolutely delighted to have Stevie in the panel. He helped us so much on Sunday," said McGinley.

"Whether we would have won it without him, who knows but it was fantastic that he was there.

"It was a hugely courageous decision that he took to come back.

He helped us all to get an All-Ireland medal in 2005 through his brilliance
Enda McGinley

"A lot of eyebrows were raised with people asking why the team could suddenly take this person back and that he was just jumping on the bandwagon.

"But the players, we've known Stevie for 10 years.

"It was said in the meeting:'He's one of us and he always will be one of us'.

"We knew what sort of man Stevie was and we knew deep down that he wouldn't be enjoying that it appeared he was coming back on the backwagon.

"Everybody saw the true side of Stevie when he didn't want to go up and lift the cup. He just didn't want to take part in the celebrations.

"But in the years to come, I would hope he will enjoy that medal.

"As I said to him, he helped us all to get an All-Ireland medal in 2005 through his brilliance.

606: DEBATE
Give your thoughts on Tyrone's All-Ireland triumph

"If we repaid him in any small way with that third All-Ireland, then brilliant."

McGinley believes that O'Neill's nagging fear that his absence might cost the Red Hands a third All-Ireland title convinced him that he had no option but to return to Mickey Harte's squad.

"What was haunting him the most was the thought of being in the stand on All-Ireland Final day and watching the match and maybe Tyrone losing by a point or two points and maybe supporters saying to him:'What weren't you out there'.

"Deep down in his heart he wouldn't have had an answer that would have satisfied them and for the rest of the days he would have been thinking:'What if'.

"The team probably would have been thinking:'What if' as well.

"You want at all times in sport to avoid that kind of scenario. That meant he had to take a pretty courageous decision to put himself forward again and the team took him back with open arms."

ardmhachaabu

Fuzzman, I just call it the way I see it.  I said the same thing before in this thread and added that some Tyronies should take his example and show more humility in winning to be accused of all sorts.  In retrospect, I should have said O'Neill and Harte's example as MH is a fine man too.

Incidentally, I recognise ONeill as one of the greats of modern football and respect him accordingly.
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on November 28, 2008, 09:45:14 PM
Fuzzman, I just call it the way I see it.  I said the same thing before in this thread and added that some Tyronies should take his example and show more humility in winning to be accused of all sorts.  In retrospect, I should have said O'Neill and Harte's example as MH is a fine man too.

Incidentally, I recognise ONeill as one of the greats of modern football and respect him accordingly.

For the first time, perhaps ever, I'll salute you.  ;)