Mayo v Tyrone AI Minor Final

Started by REDCOL, August 31, 2008, 04:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blast05

QuoteTyrone were very lucky in the end, the ref was always going to give them the benefit of the doubt with the time to get a point.  Luckily, mayo kicked the ball away and they had a final chance.  Mayo should have closed them out but blew it.

What happened to Tyrone?

A level of complacency, believing their own press, especially young Coney.
Midfield was absent.
Kickouts lost continually without any instruction from the sideline to go short and bypass midfield which should have been easy for the Tyrone game
Small corner backs put under major pressure with big men targetting them.
No supply to forwards
Lack of action by management in making changes to get past midfield problem which was evident from 5 minutes gone.
Too many wides

Positives
Sheer determination under pressure and character
Defence managed well while under constant pressure by the lack of midfield and loss of almost every kickout

Will know more about Mayo in replay but will the management make the necessary changes?

Ah shite, when Tyrone get it right the next day as they enevitably will, Mayo are fcuked.

mannix

What makes you think they got it wrong yesterday?
Mayo have a fairly ok team there with size allied to skill, expect a few faster Mayo lads the next day, lots of variety in Mayo panel of 2008.

Onlooker

Pearse Park is a lovely venue and it should be another great game.  Mayo were excellent yesterday, but I still fancy Tyrone to win the replay.

blast05

QuotePearse Park is a lovely venue and it should be another great game.  Mayo were excellent yesterday, but I still fancy Tyrone to win the replay.

Indeed Pearse Park is a lovely venue and it is also a lot smaller than Croke Park so i would like to think it would prove a small advantage to the team playing with size and skill (Mayo) versus speed and skill (Tyrone)....

Jinxy

I think the smaller pitch will suit Mayo. They should start that lad Gavin that came on. Himself and the other big lad Corduff in the FF line would be fairly hard to handle. I'd love to see this game. Will it be on TG4?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

RedandGreenSniper

Normally I'd be pesimistic after drawing a game in the manner of Sunday's but I've great confidence in this group of players. They are extremely resillient and have a wonderful attitude and some players with serious ability. Many people thought they lost their chance when they drew against Kerry in the semi-final but destroyed them then in the replay and they have improved with every game this year after a poor display in the Connacht final.
They showed Tyrone no respect by flying from the blocks and if they were a bit more cynical and stopped Tyrone players running through the middle with ease, I think they would have won.
But I also think there's more in Mayo. O'Shea was fantastic and will be targeted by Tyrone the next day but there's room for improvement from an awful lot more players. I'd like to see Aidan Walsh brought to midfield where he looked more lively than in full-forward. Start Dean Gavin as an inside man, he's well able to win high and low ball so a two man line of him and Corduff could do the trick.
How they react to drawing a game they looked like having won will be a test of their character. I'd be confident they'll pass that test and we'll be celebrating next Saturday. Maigh Eo abu!

BTW for those of us in Sydney/Oz I just checked Setanta there, they've Aberdeen v Celtic on live at 12midnight which would be the slot the minor game would be on in so the wireless will have to make do. Or else fly home  8)
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Doire abú

I had a dream last night that Mayo won the All-Ireland Senior Football Championship, dpn't know if thats a sign or not.

Tubberman

Great battling performance from the lads on Sunday. I really thought they had it won when they managed to win the ball in defence in injury time and go on the break. Naivety and a lack of composure cost us the win, but it really was a game either side could have won so we can't have too many complaints. There were some excellent performances (particularly A O'Shea) but I think there are a few players capable of more. Hopefully we'll see that on Sat. Many people thought we had blown the semi when we drew against Kerry in Croker, but we demolished them in the replay. I don't think we'll get anything handy on Sat, but there's no reason the lads can't go on and win it and end the 23-year gap.

In any case, it should be a great game and a great occasion. The GAA were right to make it all-ticket. I can see a huge crowd travelling from Mayo to see this match, and Tyrone have the taste of success after the senior win and will be hoping the minors can make it an historic double.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

mannix

a derry man dreaming a mayo mans dream, weird, but also wonderful. a real test of character, next saturday will sew the seeds of the future in these young lads heads, mayo need to nip the losing thing in the bud with a win.
ray dempsey is onto something good.

furboot

it's been a weird and wonderful week ..... on sunday i was lucky to be in croker for 2 fantastic matchers - supporting Mayo against Tyrone in the minor match and then shouting for tyrone in the senior - sounds like a contradiction but there were lots more Mayo fans like me and some neutrals . It nearly worked out in both games and I'm sure it will come saturday....

Davitt Man

All-Ireland MFC Final

The GAA has confirmed that the replay of the minor football final - at Pearse Park, Longford, next Saturday at 2.30pm - will be all-ticket.

Tickets are available from the participating county boards, GAA.ie and Ticketmaster from this morning.

Stand: €20. Terrace €15. OAPs/Students: €10. Juveniles: €5.

the Deel Rover

firstly it was a great game on sunday one of the best minor Ai finals that i have senn played in a long time imo, fair play to Ray Dempsey he has put together a nice team and much like the draw against Kerry a lot of people will be saying that mayo left it behind them the last day but i don't think so RAY is an astute manager and he will study the drawn game and like a few of the posters said i wouldn't be surprised if one or 2 of the subs the last day start the replay. Fair play to o' shea he had a massive game enev though he will have to track back a little bit as the tyrone number six was also good the last day , delighted for our own James Cafferkey thought he had an excellent second have and made some mighty catches , i know all the talk was about tryones Kyle cooney but their fullforward was brilliant the last day ( and thats ssaying something because Keane in an excellent full back) i think they said that this was his 3rd year on the minors anyway looking forward to the replay should be a massive crowd there and hopefully they can finish the job this time  as far as i can recall rte showed the replay between roscommmon and kerry in 2006. 
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

orangeman

The game will be shown live on rte.

blast05

Quotedelighted for our own James Cafferkey

What do Moygownagh have to say about that ?!!

CoDeo2

Happy days orangeman. Did you get that from the rte site?