Tyrone v Kerry All Ireland Final 2008

Started by Seany, August 31, 2008, 08:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on October 17, 2008, 10:31:17 PM
Quote from: ONeill on October 17, 2008, 10:26:25 PM
Got talking to the MOTM in the AIF in 03 today. Said to him that I totally wrote you off after Down. He laughed and said that there was good reason to but small signs were there that it could possibly come together. Most notably, he claimed that the fitness training was at its most extreme this year, more so than any other year. It made up for the perhaps lessening of quality up front.

Not surprised by that ONeill, the improvement as the season progressed was awesome, and he was the difference in the second half in the final. Feargal Mc Cann has worked wonders there.
Still the relentless search for justification for jumping ship after the Down game.
And there were those solid unflinching loyal supporters who saw those small signs and knew it would come right.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Main Street on October 18, 2008, 12:00:33 PM
Still the relentless search for justification for jumping ship after the Down game.
And there were those solid unflinching loyal supporters who saw those small signs and knew it would come right.

Qui moi? No, I actually was positive (or at least as positive as it's possible to be in the immediate aftermath of a loss) about being dumped out of the Ulster by Down (as I said at the time); I saw it as a chance to regroup and refocus without being under the glare of the Provincial Championship. It delivered the space for recovery to take place.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Main Street

orangeman

Quote from: hardstation on October 17, 2008, 10:36:48 PM
On the Tuesday after the Dublin draw was made, an un-named Tyrone star said to me, "I think it's a good aul draw. It's better than being out." The same man is an eejit when giving directions to pubs in the Ardboe/Moortown area.

Gavin Devlin
Fay Devlin
Chris Lawn
Stephen Lawn
Brian McGuigan
Frank McGuigan
Tommy McGuigan?

Let's try and narrow it then -

Past or present ???

orangeman

There's a lot of eejits down our way.

orangeman

Tyrone Dreamer

I see Spillane gave Tyrone team of year in his awards in paper today. He says Tyrone have average footballers at best with the exception of Cavanagh. Really not sure how a bunch of less than average footballers can win an All Ireland against one of the supposedly best Kerry teams ever scoring 1-15 in the process. Harte is good but he isnt a miracle worker. The McMahons,McMenamin,Jordan,Gormley,McGinley,Dooher,McGuigan can hardly be described as average footballers at best.

give her dixie

Average players? Now what would we be like if we had a few "above average" players?
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

Fear ón Srath Bán

How unlike Spillane to damn Tyrone with faint praise  :P

"Average players" that have Minor, Under 21, and Senior All-Ireland medals in their back pockets... so that's all the rest of the counties have to do, aim to be average, d'oh!

This is the same crap that Owen Mc Crohan was trotting out in the aftermath of the final itself in The Kerryman -- will some of those Kingdom amadáin ever learn to lose graciously?
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

tyssam5

Which paper was that? Can you post up the article? Thanks.

The GAA

It's a fair enough assessment lads.

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on January 04, 2009, 12:54:41 PM
Really not sure how a bunch of less than average footballers can win an All Ireland against one of the supposedly best Kerry teams ever scoring 1-15 in the process.

who ever said that about this kerry team?

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on January 04, 2009, 12:54:41 PM
Harte is good but he isnt a miracle worker.

Thats precisely what he is

ziggysego

Quote from: tyssam5 on January 04, 2009, 07:53:15 PM

I think it was the Sunday World, but can't find it on the online edition.
Testing Accessibility

johnpower

Quote from: ziggysego on January 04, 2009, 08:57:08 PM
Quote from: tyssam5 on January 04, 2009, 07:53:15 PM

I think it was the Sunday World, but can't find it on the online edition.

The Sunday world that says it all .Happy New year to all

ziggysego

Quote from: johnpower on January 04, 2009, 09:07:49 PM
The Sunday world that says it all .Happy New year to all

I know what you mean. To be honest, I've stopped listening to Spillane. Bet he's loving we're all talking about him.
Testing Accessibility

magickingdom

tyrone won QED

lets hope the 2009 final is as exciting whoevers in it... happy new year