Tyrone v Kerry All Ireland Final 2008

Started by Seany, August 31, 2008, 08:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Quote from: Fuzzman on October 17, 2008, 02:06:53 PM
They were sure with two large men in the FF line and good fast high ball would counter act the Tyrone defensive system

It might have, too, had they not inexplicably abandoned it in the second half and withdrawn Donaghy (or allowed him to wander) to midfield. Major tactical lapse and the losing of the AIF in my opinion.

AZOffaly

It would have worked for them, if they had been giving the ball in from better positions. Killian Young and/or Tomas O'Sé kicking in high balls from 65 yards is not what that plan is about. It's about lads like Darragh O'Se and Declan O'Sullivan kicking 45 yard high diagonal balls.

Kerry were dominated for long periods by the likes of Ricey McMenamin and Philip Jordan under breaking ball, and that affected the delivery positions of the lad kicking the ball in.

Despite all the tactics, there are some essential, simple elements about football, that hold true no matter what.

a) You must win the 50-50 balls most of the time
b) When you have the ball, you must use it well.

Tony McTeague, who coached me at minor, had a simple mantra. The man who has the ball is god. He can control how that passage of play will proceed. Win the ball more often that your opponents, and use it well, and you will win the game.

Hardy

I got the impression Kerry panicked and mistrusted their own plan. To me, they were getting a reasonable percentage return from the ball in to Donaghy and Walsh in the first half, that would have been much higher but for a few bad breaks. I think they allowed themselves to be demoralised by those few breaks, when Tyrone defenders won the ball and executed spectacular break-outs, accompanied by huge cheers from the supporters. It reminded me of what Mick Lyons used to do for Meath (and to opposition morale) when he'd "set the Hogan Stand harrooing" as some journalist (Humphries?) memorably described it, with a spectacular catch and burst out of defence.

If I was the Kerry manager at half time I'd have been quite happy that the basics were working and the breaks would even out. My message would have been "keep doing what you're doing and trust the plan".

billy the kid

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on October 17, 2008, 02:08:49 PM
Quote from: under the bar on October 17, 2008, 08:50:05 AM
QuoteSo you lads will be betting the house on Tyrone winning next year so ?

It's a long way from the first round in Ulster to the AIF Mike with many's a slip in store.  If Tyrone meet Kerry at any point tho, yes I'll be putting a fairly hefty lump on it 'cos unless  Kerry re-invent their game in the meantime, the result will be the same as the last 3.
It's precisely this arrogance from Tyronies that would never allow me to support them in any way shape or form whatsoever.

Im no Tyrone fan but My god, an Armagh fan calling Tyrone Arrogant? Thats the clearest example Ive ever heard of the pot calling the kettle black.
If it moves hit it
If it doesnt hit it anyway!!

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Tubberman on October 17, 2008, 02:15:59 PM
Has nobody in Tyrone heard of winning with a bit of grace and decency.
This shite of 'seeing off another Kerry manager' and crowing about how every Tyrone player should have won an All-Ireland is pathetic.
The worst winners I've seen in a long time, and I'm beginning to hope it's a long time before ye get another chance to shout about yourselves.

What a gracious and decent post  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Gaffer

Quote from: billy the kid on October 17, 2008, 02:42:19 PM
Quote from: ardmhachaabu on October 17, 2008, 02:08:49 PM
Quote from: under the bar on October 17, 2008, 08:50:05 AM
QuoteSo you lads will be betting the house on Tyrone winning next year so ?

It's a long way from the first round in Ulster to the AIF Mike with many's a slip in store.  If Tyrone meet Kerry at any point tho, yes I'll be putting a fairly hefty lump on it 'cos unless  Kerry re-invent their game in the meantime, the result will be the same as the last 3.
It's precisely this arrogance from Tyronies that would never allow me to support them in any way shape or form whatsoever.

Well said , Billy. Knew it wouldn t be too long before the jealousy of our success would come to the fore among our orchard loving neighbours.

Im no Tyrone fan but My god, an Armagh fan calling Tyrone Arrogant? Thats the clearest example Ive ever heard of the pot calling the kettle black.
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

ardmhachaabu

billy the kid You should try reading your own posts for arrogance.  There is nothing I have said that was arrogant.  I criticised a Tyronie for their arrogance in the way he was talking about Tyrone going to beat Kerry again if they don't change their ways.  Anyone bigging up their own team at this time of year is arrogant.  Not even the Kerry ones are doing that.

gaffer, there is nothing in it to be jealous about  8)
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

ONeill

Quote from: Hardy on October 17, 2008, 02:38:19 PM
I think they allowed themselves to be demoralised by those few breaks, when Tyrone defenders won the ball and executed spectacular break-outs, accompanied by huge cheers from the supporters.

Yes, it was the huge cheering that done it.

FFS, it's no wonder southerners are trailing in our dust.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

EC Unique

ardmhachaabu.  You sum up what most fans are like. It galls you to the bottom of your soul that Tyrone won the All-Ireland this year. You are no different to 80% of Armagh fans and Derry fans that I know and if the situation was reversed the same could be said about Tyrone fans. This is what I love about our sport over soccar. We support our teams 100% but do not take it over the edge ;)

his holiness nb

Quote from: ONeill on October 17, 2008, 05:14:51 PM

Lads, its comments like this that make ye look like bad winners.
Look at the Kerry posters comments after they win an all Ireland, theres no talk of seeing off managers, or helping players into retirement, or leave teams trailing in their dust.

Dont take the good out of a fantastic team winning Sam by making people want to see you lose.
Ask me holy bollix

ONeill

It's responses like that which shows how seriously people take the written word and base their likes/dislikes on posts in such forums. Lighten up ffs and know yer place. You're a Dub aren't you - you should be privileged to share the same grass as Penrose and co.

Though I mean that about Meath and dust.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Tyrone Dreamer

Quote from: his holiness nb on October 17, 2008, 05:32:54 PM
Quote from: ONeill on October 17, 2008, 05:14:51 PM

Lads, its comments like this that make ye look like bad winners.
Look at the Kerry posters comments after they win an all Ireland, theres no talk of seeing off managers, or helping players into retirement, or leave teams trailing in their dust.

Dont take the good out of a fantastic team winning Sam by making people want to see you lose.

No the Kerry posters are never arrogant.

his holiness nb

Quote from: ONeill on October 17, 2008, 05:39:24 PM
It's responses like that which shows how seriously people take the written word and base their likes/dislikes on posts in such forums. Lighten up ffs and know yer place. You're a Dub aren't you - you should be privileged to share the same grass as Penrose and co.

Though I mean that about Meath and dust.

Theres another of those comments, and I dont need lightening up, I'm having a good old laugh at the carry on of ye lately.

Theres 2 main factors which make somebody want to see a team loose. The carry on of the players, and the carry on of the fans.

Thats all I'm saying, I understand these are 2 of the factors many people dislike the Dubs, seems we are dropping rapidly to the second most disliked team in the country, trailing in yer dust  ;)

Agree about Meath though.
Ask me holy bollix

Gaffer

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on October 17, 2008, 05:04:21 PM
billy the kid You should try reading your own posts for arrogance.  There is nothing I have said that was arrogant.  I criticised a Tyronie for their arrogance in the way he was talking about Tyrone going to beat Kerry again if they don't change their ways.  Anyone bigging up their own team at this time of year is arrogant.  Not even the Kerry ones are doing that.

gaffer, there is nothing in it to be jealous about  8)

It does comes across like that!!!!!!
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: EC Unique on October 17, 2008, 05:16:59 PM
ardmhachaabu.  You sum up what most fans are like. It galls you to the bottom of your soul that Tyrone won the All-Ireland this year. You are no different to 80% of Armagh fans and Derry fans that I know and if the situation was reversed the same could be said about Tyrone fans. This is what I love about our sport over soccar. We support our teams 100% but do not take it over the edge ;)
Another Tyronie who can't even read.  What sort of teachers do you have there anyway?  ;)
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something