Tyrone v Kerry All Ireland Final 2008

Started by Seany, August 31, 2008, 08:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Fuzzman on October 03, 2008, 03:34:13 PM
I too thought Brolly was a surprise inclusion
There were much better footballers than Brolly including Paddy Bradley from the current team

I must say here in Dublin I've got nothing but praise and admiration from everyone I've met regarding Tyrone's victory
Nearly all neutrals were glad that we beat Kerry as many deem us as the only county capable of beating them in the current climate.

For anyone to pick holes over the victory is either just sh*t stirring or jealous and in fairness to most Kingdom fans they have taken their defeat on the chin

Compare the attitude of the Mayo poster on the last few pages to the of the Rossie fan a few weeks back where he said I'd much rather have a team with a few rough nuts and 3 AI medals than a nicey nicey team that constantly genuflect to the High priests of the Kingdom.

Still.
The Future looks good

Thts some leap by young mc kenna then again he was assisted with the the red hand of ulster preventing Aidan oShea take off  ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

rrhf

Look at no 12 keenly awaiting the break ball naw wait a minute hes being held as well...

the Deel Rover

go on out of that rrhf sure the mayo boy doesn't have his had around his neck half strangling the poor lad he is just resting his elbow on his shoulder  ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

rrhf

What odds these two guys come up against each other in a senior AIF in about 5 years. 

Zapatista

Quote from: rrhf on October 04, 2008, 11:22:50 AM
What odds these two guys come up against each other in a senior AIF in about 5 years. 

Slim to none I'd say.

rrhf

the Deel Rover

Crossmolina Deel Rovers

Zapatista

It's not that. The probability is to small. Neither teams have ever meet in final, not all minors become seniors, 5 years is not a long time etc. Just think it's a big bet. And what deel said ;)

johnpower

Quote from: orangeman on October 03, 2008, 09:21:25 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on October 03, 2008, 09:10:05 PM
A few (worthless) observations about our ultimate triumph in this year :-

• I have a distinct sense of unfinished business, despite the obvious effort and elation of having claimed the big prize for 2008; but distinctly more than in 2003 or 2005, there's a real sense of more work to be done, i.e., a successful defence. Such is the measure of our advancement that one-in-a-row, whilst magnificent, is no longer something that can't be improved upon. Gazes are firmly fixed on 2009!
  • Kerry folk, in general, have been much more receptive of our victory this year, and go raibh míle maith agaibh. It took us three wins, however, to go from new-kid-on-the-block arrivistes, to 'lucky' winners, to fully deserving winners; still, to have arrived at all is something special, especially with the established masters. Acquaintances will be renewed no doubt.
  • The southern media are still at their small-minded curmudgeonly little nit-picking pieces best - witness Seán Moran's piece in the Irish Times on the Wednesday after the final; pitifiul, that a journo of such otherwise renowned repute has to stoop so low; his choice, and as his standard lowers so will my opinion of him. Shame. Brolly was right last week: in the two weeks leading up to the final, the game was billed (in the southern printed media) as a winner takes all, but once Tyrone had prevailed, all yet remained to be decided, since there was still one year left in the decade: either crap journalism or a crap sense of the calendar.

Still, I'm not bitter, quite the reverse in fact  :D

Kerry folk buy more papers than the Northerners put together I'd say ??? As simple a reason as that ??

yes indeed Orange man . I pay less and less attention to most journalists .

johnpower

Quote from: Baile an tuaigh on October 02, 2008, 08:36:39 PM
Quote from: drici on October 02, 2008, 08:30:59 PM
Quote from: Baile an tuaigh on October 02, 2008, 08:26:08 PM
Couch takes the free quickly to Galvin who takes a shot

Was talking to a fella who said he had an armchair view of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkTL4PEdbgI There you are sir!!

Just watched that part of the match for the first time .after the save there was only one winner

the Deel Rover

Quote from: ziggysego on October 03, 2008, 04:11:53 PM
Quote from: Gaaman on October 03, 2008, 10:28:55 AM
Have to say lads. I was sittin beside Kerry fans for the 05 & 08 finals and after the match when I stopped leaping about like an ape the Kerry lads gave me a handshake and said fair play the better team won.......Very gracious in defeat i thought.

The Kerry fans around me were an absoluate torture in 2005 after the game, but they were the best you could have met in 2008. Very gracious in defeat and I couldn't speak more highly of them.

Have to say that any of the kerry fans that i met were also very gracious in victory as well especially in 2006 i remember sitting besides a kerry man before the 2006 Ai and he wished us luck saying that he wouldn't begrudge us the Ai if we won it, after the match he just said yerra ye will be back again keep the heads up there was no rubbing salt into the wounds from him met many like him that day ( fcuk it it seems like yesterday and the feeling only gets worse i'm away for a few pints to console meself)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

tyssam5

I'd have thought they saved money big time with Kerry being beaten?
-0-=----------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Tribune)
Bookies cleaned out as Tyrone fans cash in on All Ireland
Terry McLaughlin

It was always going to be an exercise in adding the odds up both for and against as far as Tyrone's championship dreams were concerned this year.

But in Mickey Harte's eyes. turning that dream into reality was always going to be on the cards.

And it's now emerged that the ability of Tyrone's football teams to clean up on the pitch has been matched by the county's punters off it.

Bookmaking industry sources have told the Sunday Tribune that the successful combination of gambles on both Tyrone's senior and minor squads represented the largest ever volume of bets laid in Northern Ireland on Gaelic games.

Overall the conservative estimate for the payout from bookies to Tyrone's loyal supporters within the county alone has been put at upwards of £2million (€2.6m).

And the victory of Tyrone's minor football team against Mayo eight days ago has left one Dungannon based tipster wealthier by a tax-free £75,000.

The individual, who has had strong connections with Tyrone's sponsor's Rocwell Water, backed a county double with a single stake of £1,000 at odds of 75-1 two days after the senior team departed the Ulster campaign.

To make the collection of his winnings even sweeter, the bet was laid with Newry-based Hughes' Bookmakers who provide financial backing for the opponents that day, Down.

Company partner Greg Hughes confirmed that the family-owned chain, which operates 16 outlets across Northern Ireland, including three in Tyrone had "suffered a severe hit."

"We are still counting the cost. But it would be fair to say that there will be no change from at least £200,000 in terms of our losses alone.

"When you add in the other firms as well as the various kinds of internet betting that was going on in relation to Tyrone, it's not hard to see how the losses mounted up across the country. It was an afternoon that we wouldn't want to see happen again.

"You have to say fair play to the guy who was able to take the 75 grand from us. You win some and lose some. There were many others that were willing to make more modest investments at the same odds.

"But it does emphasise that when it comes to backing their team the Tyrone supporters don't just act on the basis of blind faith. They are not afraid to make a financial commitment to back the county."

"Tyrone collecting the double was a result we had been dreading. Initially we felt that the prospects of it happening were pretty remote. That's why we, along with most other bookies were prepared to lengthen the odds for the senior team coming back from being beaten by Down.

"It didn't put off the Tyrone punters. The money gambled was well in advance of their first All Ireland win back in 2003 and then in 2005," explained Hughes.

magickingdom

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on October 03, 2008, 09:10:05 PM
A few (worthless) observations about our ultimate triumph in this year :-

• I have a distinct sense of unfinished business, despite the obvious effort and elation of having claimed the big prize for 2008; but distinctly more than in 2003 or 2005, there's a real sense of more work to be done, i.e., a successful defence. Such is the measure of our advancement that one-in-a-row, whilst magnificent, is no longer something that can't be improved upon. Gazes are firmly fixed on 2009!
  • Kerry folk, in general, have been much more receptive of our victory this year, and go raibh míle maith acu. It took us three wins, however, to go from new-kid-on-the-block arrivistes, to 'lucky' winners, to fully deserving winners; still, to have arrived at all is something special, especially with the established masters. Acquaintances will be renewed no doubt.
  • The southern media are still at their small-minded curmudgeonly little nit-picking pieces best - witness Seán Moran's piece in the Irish Times on the Wednesday after the final; pitiful, that a journo of such otherwise renowned repute has to stoop so low; his choice, and as his standard lowers so will my opinion of him. Shame. Brolly was right last week: in the two weeks leading up to the final, the game was billed (in the southern printed media) as a winner takes all, but once Tyrone had prevailed, all yet remained to be decided, since there was still one year left in the decade: either crap journalism or a crap sense of the calendar.

Still, I'm not bitter, quite the reverse in fact  :D

well said there fear. if kerry had won 3 in a row the achievement would have been immense and if tyrone defend next year it will be a hell of an achievement. i bet micky harte wants back to back ai big time. as for the media build up all they want is an angle to hype up, if kerry had won the team of the decade was over but now they can play that up next year.

ONeill

Does anyone know if yer man from Georgia made it over?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

under the bar

QuoteDoes anyone know if yer man from Georgia made it over?

Don't know but O'Neills sent him a collection of jersies by all accounts.