Tyrone v Kerry All Ireland Final 2008

Started by Seany, August 31, 2008, 08:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

A few (worthless) observations about our ultimate triumph in this year :-

• I have a distinct sense of unfinished business, despite the obvious effort and elation of having claimed the big prize for 2008; but distinctly more than in 2003 or 2005, there's a real sense of more work to be done, i.e., a successful defence. Such is the measure of our advancement that one-in-a-row, whilst magnificent, is no longer something that can't be improved upon. Gazes are firmly fixed on 2009!
  • Kerry folk, in general, have been much more receptive of our victory this year, and go raibh míle maith acu. It took us three wins, however, to go from new-kid-on-the-block arrivistes, to 'lucky' winners, to fully deserving winners; still, to have arrived at all is something special, especially with the established masters. Acquaintances will be renewed no doubt.
  • The southern media are still at their small-minded curmudgeonly little nit-picking pieces best - witness Seán Moran's piece in the Irish Times on the Wednesday after the final; pitiful, that a journo of such otherwise renowned repute has to stoop so low; his choice, and as his standard lowers so will my opinion of him. Shame. Brolly was right last week: in the two weeks leading up to the final, the game was billed (in the southern printed media) as a winner takes all, but once Tyrone had prevailed, all yet remained to be decided, since there was still one year left in the decade: either crap journalism or a crap sense of the calendar.

Still, I'm not bitter, quite the reverse in fact  :D
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

orangeman

Quote from: ziggysego on October 03, 2008, 09:06:37 PM
A five-star Belfast hotel is being sued over claims it refused to show last month's All-Ireland football final on television.

Damages are being sought from the Hilton Hotel following allegations that staff told customers the Tyrone-Kerry match would not be screened.

Brian Corey, a GAA fan from the Ormeau Road in Belfast, claims the refusal to show the match was an affront to his dignity and national identity.

His solicitor has now gone to court seeking damages, claiming a breach of the law covering services provided by hotels.

The Hilton has rejected any suggestion of discrimination.

A spokeswoman said they were unable to show the All-Ireland final as they were already screening a football match between Chelsea and Manchester United.

She said this was linked to a food and beverage promotion in the hotel, which a number of guests were enjoying at the time.

Sourced RTE.ie: http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1003/gaa.html

Fair play to him !!!!!!!!!!!! Chelsea ?????? Who are they ???

orangeman

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on October 03, 2008, 09:10:05 PM
A few (worthless) observations about our ultimate triumph in this year :-

• I have a distinct sense of unfinished business, despite the obvious effort and elation of having claimed the big prize for 2008; but distinctly more than in 2003 or 2005, there's a real sense of more work to be done, i.e., a successful defence. Such is the measure of our advancement that one-in-a-row, whilst magnificent, is no longer something that can't be improved upon. Gazes are firmly fixed on 2009!
  • Kerry folk, in general, have been much more receptive of our victory this year, and go raibh míle maith agaibh. It took us three wins, however, to go from new-kid-on-the-block arrivistes, to 'lucky' winners, to fully deserving winners; still, to have arrived at all is something special, especially with the established masters. Acquaintances will be renewed no doubt.
  • The southern media are still at their small-minded curmudgeonly little nit-picking pieces best - witness Seán Moran's piece in the Irish Times on the Wednesday after the final; pitifiul, that a journo of such otherwise renowned repute has to stoop so low; his choice, and as his standard lowers so will my opinion of him. Shame. Brolly was right last week: in the two weeks leading up to the final, the game was billed (in the southern printed media) as a winner takes all, but once Tyrone had prevailed, all yet remained to be decided, since there was still one year left in the decade: either crap journalism or a crap sense of the calendar.

Still, I'm not bitter, quite the reverse in fact  :D

Kerry folk buy more papers than the Northerners put together I'd say ??? As simple a reason as that ??

Minder

Quote from: ziggysego on October 03, 2008, 09:06:37 PM
A five-star Belfast hotel is being sued over claims it refused to show last month's All-Ireland football final on television.

Damages are being sought from the Hilton Hotel following allegations that staff told customers the Tyrone-Kerry match would not be screened.

Brian Corey, a GAA fan from the Ormeau Road in Belfast, claims the refusal to show the match was an affront to his dignity and national identity.

His solicitor has now gone to court seeking damages, claiming a breach of the law covering services provided by hotels.

The Hilton has rejected any suggestion of discrimination.

A spokeswoman said they were unable to show the All-Ireland final as they were already screening a football match between Chelsea and Manchester United.

She said this was linked to a food and beverage promotion in the hotel, which a number of guests were enjoying at the time.

Sourced RTE.ie: http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1003/gaa.html

If it was a gypsy making a claim would we be saying "fair play", the fella should get a life.........
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ziggysego

If I was him Minder, I would have went to another pub. I'm sure there were one or two in Belfast showing it ;)

Christ, if he was that stuck, he could have went round to hardstation's.
Testing Accessibility

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: ziggysego on October 03, 2008, 09:26:17 PM
If I was him Minder, I would have went to another pub. I'm sure there were one or two in Belfast showing it ;)

Aye, but he misses his best mate, even though he ran off with his wife!  :o

Minder

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on October 03, 2008, 09:35:25 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on October 03, 2008, 09:26:17 PM

Aye, but he misses his best mate, even though he ran off with his wife!  :o

I actually missed most of the final (more a hurling man) as my wee girl wouldnt let me watch it...... :P

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Minder on October 03, 2008, 09:37:45 PM
I actually missed most of the final (more a hurling man) as my wee girl wouldnt let me watch it...... :P

And what did you tell your wee girl about her mother?  ;)

Minder

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on October 03, 2008, 09:56:10 PM
Quote from: Minder on October 03, 2008, 09:37:45 PM

And what did you tell your wee girl about her mother?  ;)

That she ran away with the circus   8)

Fear ón Srath Bán

cornafean

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on October 03, 2008, 09:10:05 PM

The southern media are still at their small-minded curmudgeonly little nit-picking pieces best - witness Seán Moran's piece in the Irish Times on the Wednesday after the final; pitiful, that a journo of such otherwise renowned repute has to stoop so low; his choice, and as his standard lowers so will my opinion of him. Shame.

Nothing new there. The Old Lady of D'Olier Street treated Meath's loss to Down in the 1991 All Ireland Final as something of a minor tragedy, on a par perhaps with an embarrassing defeat for an Irish soccer or rugby side.  "Joy and Sadness as Down Triumph" was the headline above Paddy Downey's match report, which went to painful lengths to bemoan the fact that the Leinster champions fell at the last fence after a ten-game campaign. Worth looking up the next time you have time to spare in the library.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

Gaaman

Jesus thats some leap from young mckenna......He feet must be a good 5ft off the ground

Mickeys beard

Anyone picking out The Gormley photo out has a chip on their shoulder.  As for the bit of slaggun, Trash talking has always occurred in field sports-if you want a gentleman's sport, away and watch chess or tennis or something.  I haven't yet heard a complaint from the moral high-grounders on this board about the several high challenges made by Kerry players during the final, some worthy of red cards.  Don't play a part in turning our passion-filled games into a sterile, stagnant pond!
Boil the Drawers!

Tyrone Dreamer

I must say I'm disgusted by some sections of the media in the south. They seem to have went out of their way to find holes in Tyrones win and dont want to accept that the better team with the better players won this years All Ireland. Every time a team from Ulster wins the All Ireland this happens. Also no doubt there'll be suggestions on rule changes to change the game. In the early 90's it was handpassing that they blamed for some of the ulster victories- remember the rule they got brought in were you could only handpass the ball twice before the ball had to be kicked. Since 2002 there have been complaints about blanket defence, there have been calls to introduce the mark, 1 yellow card and your off, too much handpassing again etc.

rrhf

Believe it or not there is an even better photograph although very similar of Mc Kenna jumping in the match and hes about a foot higher  as printed in the Tyrone Herald last Monday.
the word "thoroughbred" describes him best I think...