Tyrone v Kerry All Ireland Final 2008

Started by Seany, August 31, 2008, 08:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onlooker

Quote from: give her dixie on October 03, 2008, 10:51:59 AM
When you consider the Dublin team, nicknamed "The 12 Apostles", were paraded out before the match for the 25th anniversary of their win over Galway,
what Conor Gormley did at the final whistle is childs play!
Do you think anyone will remember it when he steps onto Croke Park on All Ireland Final day in 2033 for the 25th anniversary? (and 2028 & 2030 as well).
Looking forward to it..................
I always thought that Dublin team were known as "The Dirty Dozen" rather than "The 12 Apostles".

his holiness nb

Quote from: Puckoon on October 03, 2008, 04:42:40 AM
You are a great man for claiming admission of guilt on behalf of the dubs -yet its always with a view to getting others to admit their own wrong doings. Why are you such a one man crusade for parity?

Just getting there ahead of ye. It goes like this, I say Tyrone did wrong, ye say "sure the Dubs did too" I say "I know they did but Tyrone still did wrong", all condensed into one post to save ye the hassle.

And I dont want parity, for taunting and goading etc, Tyrone have been much worse this year. Why would I want parity??

Ask me holy bollix

Jinxy

Quote from: Over the Bar on October 03, 2008, 10:32:17 AM
A Kerryman in his 60's/70's beside me said that he had never seen a footballer as good as Cavanagh and that included the Kerry greats.   He waxed lyrical about Mick O'Connell and Sean O'Neill and a couple of others I'd never heard of but considered Cavanagh to be better than both and totally unmarkable.

I thought he was talking Tyrone up to be gracious in defeat but then read Jarlath Bursn article in the Gaelic Life where he said big Sean's performance in the final was the best by any player in a final...ever!    Big accolades indeed.

You wouldn't want to pay too much attention to anything a Kerryman says..
If you were any use you'd be playing.

rrhf

Over the bars excellent post highlights the dangers of appreciating the past more than the present.  It is only too right to appreciate that we are now in an era where Gaelic Football is more competitive, more skillful, more tactical and has less thuggery in it than in previous generations.  After 124 the game of Gaelic football has evolved more in the past 6 years than in the previous 118.  Yes there will be bad games but in general the signs are that it is a better game than that of previous eras.  Now evolving the game is one thing but is reality any sport is about the teams and the individuals playing it.  I have no doubt that this Tyrone team would have some better individuals than the Kerry team of the 70s and the Kerry team of the 70s would have some better individuals than  the current Tyrone team.  What Spillane and the puke journalists need to realise and respect is the current game is the opnly game and the teams and individuals that play it are the only show in town.  If they do not see this and hanker back to the past some 30 years ago now well then they haver no business presenting a modern day GAA television programme.  Put them into a nursing home with the rest of their era and let them crow all day to each other about the rare auld times.  The greats that I witnessed in my lifetime have been,  Canavan Cavanagh, Dooher, Dara O Se, Tohill, Jack O Shea,  Spillane, Linden, Fitzgerald, Blaney, Brolly, Scullion, Mc Dermott, Mc Geeney, O Neill, Mc Cartan in pretty much that order.  I can appreciate the old and the newly rich.

Final Whistle

definitely  brolly! david beggy van be added there alongside keith barr and s.og de paor

Fuzzman

I too thought Brolly was a surprise inclusion
There were much better footballers than Brolly including Paddy Bradley from the current team

I must say here in Dublin I've got nothing but praise and admiration from everyone I've met regarding Tyrone's victory
Nearly all neutrals were glad that we beat Kerry as many deem us as the only county capable of beating them in the current climate.

For anyone to pick holes over the victory is either just sh*t stirring or jealous and in fairness to most Kingdom fans they have taken their defeat on the chin

Compare the attitude of the Mayo poster on the last few pages to the of the Rossie fan a few weeks back where he said I'd much rather have a team with a few rough nuts and 3 AI medals than a nicey nicey team that constantly genuflect to the High priests of the Kingdom.

Still.
The Future looks good

Doohicky

Jaysus, that's some auld jump there!  ;D

EC Unique

Is it McKenna or Harte? I think McKenna with Harte in the background?

ziggysego

Quote from: Gaaman on October 03, 2008, 10:28:55 AM
Have to say lads. I was sittin beside Kerry fans for the 05 & 08 finals and after the match when I stopped leaping about like an ape the Kerry lads gave me a handshake and said fair play the better team won.......Very gracious in defeat i thought.

The Kerry fans around me were an absoluate torture in 2005 after the game, but they were the best you could have met in 2008. Very gracious in defeat and I couldn't speak more highly of them.
Testing Accessibility

under the bar

That's Niall McKenna.  Peter Harte isn't that skinny.   Niall will be awesome when he fills out a bit.

tc_manchester

You can see in that photo what he got off his father - he is still the best man i ever saw leap for the ball. He just seemed to hang in the air. I remember being up at a national league match in Newcastle in the mid 80's. Eugene took out in the last ten minutes and caught absolutely everything. I spoke to Liam Grugan (about 6 ft 2) that night who was playing midfield for Tyrone that day and asked him about eugene. He told me that he went up for a ball from a kick out and felt a knee on his shoulder. That was McKenna! The other unbelievable thing that day was that Audie Hamilton scored 2 goals for Tyrone! ;D ;D

tyssam5

Quote from: under the bar on October 03, 2008, 04:17:06 PM
That's Niall McKenna.  Peter Harte isn't that skinny.   Niall will be awesome when he fills out a bit.

Lot of people were confusing them two lads at the game. I wonder was the photo the one were McKenna had the awkward fall after going up, there was one that looked like he'd hurt himself?

magickingdom

Quote from: rrhf on October 03, 2008, 10:02:47 AM
Without a shadow of a doubt the sportsfile photograph clears up the context of the photograph- well done Baile an tuaigh anothetr outstanding post.  I felt that the Gaelic Life crew were using it as a potentially controversial cover and poor poster insert knowing full well it would be taken out of context, which is slightly disengenuous to Tyrone.  If I wanted to buy a rag for Gaelic coverage I would buy the Star and I dont.    I would also ask posters who believed that Gormly was goading a player after the final whistle to leave their own skin for a minute step outside their own commonality, leave their average world behind for a few seconds and ask themselves in their wildest dream if they were ever had the talent, ability and mentality, athleticism to win their thrid all Ireland medal do they honestly believe at the final whistle they would be within a houns goul of thinking of goading anyone... Some times you guys should at least try and get inside the heads of a born winner.  Imagine what it feels like to pick up a third celtic cross and then and only then imagine what Conor Gormleys priorities were at the final whistle.    Thers a few on here must feel like absolute fools today - their card is indeliblymarked for future debate where credibility may be called into question.   

excellent, the board now has a resident mind reader ;)

Quote from: Gaaman on October 03, 2008, 10:28:55 AM
Have to say lads. I was sittin beside Kerry fans for the 05 & 08 finals and after the match when I stopped leaping about like an ape the Kerry lads gave me a handshake and said fair play the better team won.......Very gracious in defeat i thought.

said something similar to the tyrone crowd around me, they were great craic as i said in earlier posts

ziggysego

A five-star Belfast hotel is being sued over claims it refused to show last month's All-Ireland football final on television.

Damages are being sought from the Hilton Hotel following allegations that staff told customers the Tyrone-Kerry match would not be screened.

Brian Corey, a GAA fan from the Ormeau Road in Belfast, claims the refusal to show the match was an affront to his dignity and national identity.

His solicitor has now gone to court seeking damages, claiming a breach of the law covering services provided by hotels.

The Hilton has rejected any suggestion of discrimination.

A spokeswoman said they were unable to show the All-Ireland final as they were already screening a football match between Chelsea and Manchester United.

She said this was linked to a food and beverage promotion in the hotel, which a number of guests were enjoying at the time.

Sourced RTE.ie: http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1003/gaa.html
Testing Accessibility