Tyrone v Kerry All Ireland Final 2008

Started by Seany, August 31, 2008, 08:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Quote from: rrhf on September 27, 2008, 10:52:04 AM
From the ALL Ireland under 21 loss to kerry in 1990 I believe Kerry have not beaten Tyrone at any level in championship football despiite a considerable number of jousts in this period.  To my mind that involves 1 AI U21 final (following year); 1 aI semi minor 97; 1 AI minor final 2000, 1 aI senior semifinal 03 and 2 all Ireland finals 05 and 07.  

Off the mark there. Kerry beat us last year and absolutely trounced our minors in 2002 with Pat O'Shea as manager.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

magickingdom

tyssam5

Quote from: glens73 on September 28, 2008, 05:00:32 PM
Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on September 28, 2008, 04:11:55 PM
Quote from: comethekingdom on September 28, 2008, 01:54:51 PM
Excuse me ! but I was one of the first on here to say fair play and congrats to Tyrone for their AI win. However the unsavoury tactics as mentioned above have no place in the game and this Tyrone team are quite capable of winning games without such unsporting behaviour. Now before you come back and say that Kerry are no angels either - I am merely telling youse what the neutral spectator was pointing out to me.

Piece in the Indo today written by a Kerryman, unfortunately the online edition doesnt say which one! Anyway whoever it was fair play to him..

"You'll understand that as a Kerryman my default position is to look at last Sunday through green and gold tinted glasses. But I want to say that this does not take in any way from Tyrone's achievement, nor in my admiration for the manner of their victory. Everything they did, both on the field and on the sideline, was everything I expected and hoped Kerry would do in the pursuit of glory.

There is no question that they were worthy and deserving winners and, in actual fact, some of the media commentary in the last week has left a sour taste in my mouth. Instead of applauding these worthy winners, some have whispered innuendos out of the corner of their mouths, casting aspersions on how this victory was achieved.

I have no problem with anything Tyrone did last Sunday; they won the game fair and square, playing the better football, showing the greater hunger and aggression and willingness to put their bodies on the line for the cause. This is what is required to win an All-Ireland. Nothing less is good enough, as Kerry found out."

I think that's Paidi O'Se who wrote that.

I was wondering who wrote that piece myself and was thinking  Paidi as well.

Meanwhile congrats to the Bomber Liston in the same edition for being the first Kerryman to suggest a rule change after our latest win. The Bomber seems to favour an NBA type play-off to give the better teams a chance to come back from surprise results.  ;D ;D

"Tyrone were, it is true, the better team on the day, but if the same teams were to meet three times, I believe Kerry would win twice."
" That, and the wily Tyrone fox on the sideline, whose ability to catch Kerry by surprise was worthy of Rommel. "

Easy men to surprise down in Kerry apparantly, could the Bomber not have sent O'Shea DVDs of 03 and 05?
-----------------------
Meanwhile O'Rourke dances around with some faint praise before getting his boot in as always.

"In pointing out these qualities, it does not in any way nullify the many arguments last week about the cynical fouling which was obvious in Tyrone's play. Being cynical is not a sin and this sort of play was not invented by Tyrone. However, away from the fouling, there were a few Tyrone players who went down -- and stayed down when there was no need -- getting Kerry players booked in the process. (Owen Mulligan did not cover himself in glory with his dive in the second half).

Overall, though, it was an easy game to referee but the opportunity to show that no messing was going to be allowed was lost when Joe McMahon went about shouting into Tommy Walsh's face early on. He should have been given a yellow card and that would have set the tone.

Some of the Kerry players may have got carded easily, but the challenges involved were high and clumsy if not really very dangerous"
----------------------------------------
Sorry if I seem senstive to this stuff, but there is no way any post-mortem articles the week following a game would contain such bullshit had the team in green and gold won.

orangeman

Sorry if I seem senstive to this stuff, but there is no way any post-mortem articles the week following a game would contain such bullshit had the team in green and gold won.

No doubt about it - a load of bullshit - Kerry would have received more glowing tributes than this !

rrhf

Always think through yer own facts before ye put them in print.  Anyway I thought the times and the indo yesterday penned the best GAA articles this year.  It was pure nirvana with the most accurate interpretation of the final on Hold the back page.   Also thought Hogans article was outstanding.  

Hardy

Whinging in defeat is commonplace. Whinging in victory is much rarer and requires a whole different level of perceived victimhood.

Over the Bar

QuoteWill have to look at the print edition to see who penned this mighty piece, probably our friend Breheny. Seems to feel that Deegan helped us to rob the mighty Kingdom with our dirty Northern tactics. He's getting laughable at the stage.

As I've mentioned before the real reason that Breheny chooses to write with such vitriol regarding Tyrone is that he los a fortune on Kerry.   The fat fool was rubbing his hands at Bredagh saying how Kerry & Kilkenny minors would pay rich dividends.     Can't wait to meet the pr*ck again so I can rub it in.

Sandy Hill

Quote"In pointing out these qualities, it does not in any way nullify the many arguments last week about the cynical fouling which was obvious in Tyrone's play. Being cynical is not a sin and this sort of play was not invented by Tyrone. However, away from the fouling, there were a few Tyrone players who went down -- and stayed down when there was no need -- getting Kerry players booked in the process. (Owen Mulligan did not cover himself in glory with his dive in the second half).

Overall, though, it was an easy game to referee but the opportunity to show that no messing was going to be allowed was lost when Joe McMahon went about shouting into Tommy Walsh's face early on. He should have been given a yellow card and that would have set the tone.

Some of the Kerry players may have got carded easily, but the challenges involved were high and clumsy if not really very dangerous"

Which part of the above observations do you perceive as being incorrect?
"Stercus accidit"

Over the Bar

QuoteWhich part of the above observations do you perceive as being incorrect?

It's Brenehy's fixation of focusing on the negative regards Tyrone's win.  Brolly quite rightly pointed out in the Gaelic Life that he watched the game twice since and found the 'cynicism' outlined by Breheny hard to find.   Any ar$ehole journalist could pick any hurling or football AIF and pick out a couple of negatives and harp on about it.    Breheny and the Independent find it hard to bring themselves to say the best team won but prefer to plod the old ground of waxing lyrical about Kerry and how they were beaten by means other than better football.

orangeman

To be fair to Paidi O'Se in yesterday's Indo, he said Tyrone beat Kerry fair and square and Kerry should have no complaints.

Over the Bar

QuoteTo be fair to Paidi O'Se in yesterday's Indo, he said Tyrone beat Kerry fair and square and Kerry should have no complaints.

That's 'cos ex-Managers and respected players usually write balanced articles as opposed to some gobsh*te with betting issues and a consequential chip on his shoulder!

rrhf

Undoubtedly Brehany will feel sore/  foolish after his recent writings and indeed will relish the inevitable short spell of anonymity (due to lack of interest / credibility in his penning) as he picks up the pieces after his year of puke jounalism.  For some time I think he has needed to reinvent himself, and he could maybe lead with how very few journalists have yet picked up on what a game Gaelic football is now becoming, as it moves beyond the traditional catch and kick aussie rules style game to an intense, tactical, higher scoring, laced with skill, total football, highly physical  sport.   
For what we want Galeic Football to be make your choice between this years all ireland final and last years and nail your colours to the mast.  As for the future see the way Mayo and Tyrone minors played stick the video in and pour yourself a drink, - a credit to their counties and themselves. 
The future of Gaelic football has never looked so good.  Tyrones rise will have given half of Ireland hope.  Through hard work dedication skill and honesty great things can be achieved.  They have singlehandedly removed the staus quo for ever.   

Main Street

Quote from: Hardy on September 29, 2008, 08:59:51 AM
Whinging in defeat is commonplace. Whinging in victory is much rarer and requires a whole different level of perceived victimhood.
Is it whinging in defeat victory? I don´t think so.
I'd regard it as a critical analysis and quite appropriate to appraise the low standard of some gaelic games journalists in the wake of the AI final.

The words of Paudi were no doubt written in reaction and as a neutral I agree with him wholeheartedly.

orangeman

Quote from: Main Street on September 29, 2008, 01:31:10 PM
Quote from: Hardy on September 29, 2008, 08:59:51 AM
Is it whinging in defeat? I don´t think so.
I'd regard it as a critical analysis and quite appropriate to appraise the low standard of some gaelic games journalists in the wake of the AI final.

The words of Paudi were no doubt written in reaction and as a neutral I agree with him wholeheartedly.

Thanks Main Street.

Fuzzman

Gee I dunno lads but ye'd have to be very biased to not say that they do have a point

Every since Mickey has taken over we have become a much more ugly to watch team
You could point at Armagh and say we had to adapt to meet their physial strenght but our constant winning at all lengths is really pissing off a lot of us purists.

When I was a child I loved watching players like Eugene McKenna, Damian O'Hagan, Frank McGuigan and more recently Peter Canavan and Stephen O'Neill.
We played hard but fair football and at least I was proud of style of play with all out attack and the passion of not knowing would you win or lose
Coming to Croker was a complete novelty and a rare occurence and you were so excited cos you had no pressure of being expected to win.

The odd win over Galway or even Dublin in the NFL semis were so exciting but of course the bigger boys like Meath, Dublin and of course Kerry would teach us a footballing lesson and we'd go home content with our wee Ango Celt and pride that we play fair but attractive football.
Everywhere we went we were popular fans and teams welcomed us all over the country
I remember a Div 4 leage game once in Omagh v Kilkenny and in the 2nd half the ball was kicked out & the whole Kilkenny team and stopped and looked up as a large helicopter came in to land near Healy Park

Things are so different now with all the diving, feigning injuries, holding yer face when ye get a punch to the Gut, diving, crying to the Ref, diving, Shouting in people's faces when we score, Shouting in people's faces when they miss, Dragging men to the ground to slow down the game, Staying down injured to waste time and momentum, did I say diving.

With the exception of Sean Cavanagh who is probably from Armagh anyway if ye examine the older maps, we hadn't wan forward in the final and yet again had no MF.
I think there is a severe lack of respect for teams like Kerry and Dublin who have a much longer tradition of AI success and as Gregory Campbell says are we overstepping the cross border hospitalilty to be winning an international tournament when we're lucky to be even invited.

Next year will we get our own version of 4 grand provinces of Ireland

I think we've won enuf now lads and should make this our last year and look to get into a Super League with Europe and stop torturing these southern lads any more.

C'mon Mickey
Have a Harte