Tyrone v Kerry All Ireland Final 2008

Started by Seany, August 31, 2008, 08:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadhlancian

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on September 22, 2008, 06:08:34 AM
I didn't get a chance to see the match out here live, but I've seen the replay so some thoughts...

1. It may appear that Stephen O'Neill wasn't up to much once he came on but he didn't have his worst performance in a Tyrone jersey out there and to come back into the fold after two years out was going to not be 100% up to the task. He did however create opportunities for his team mates even though he didn't get on to the score sheet himself.

2. Tommy McGuigan's goal will stand as one of the most important toe-pokes in Tyrone GF history!

3. The incident at half time with O'Se's elbow to Cavanagh - may have looked innocuous but it turned a big physiological edge on the game in favour of Tyrone.

4. Not a classic match by any means but still a very good one. Quite a lot of unforced errors from players on both sides.

5. Pascal McConnell never had a big reputation as an important shot-stopper but he enhanced that brilliantly in this match. Barely put a foot wrong.

6. Donaghey and Walsh were well tied up by the Tyrone defence, not the first time some bearded men have toppled a set of twin towers. Cooper on the other hand had a sound game and poor Kerry tactics failed to capitalise on this. I find it very hard to believe after all these years that Kerry don't have a plan B for attacking tactics.

7. This win had similar hallmarks of '05. I said back then that September that it didn't appear that it would be happening after drawing and struggling against Cavan in the Ulster Championship. Ditto '08 after losing to Down and struggling against Westmeath and Mayo, only after did they wreck Dublin in a similar fashion that I would wreck Jessica Alba did a sense of self-belief at least outside of the squad itself start to come back.

8. Tyrone have won an All-Ireland title without Peter Canavan being involved. Massive physiological boost within the county.

9. Mickey Harte may well be able to say that this was done for themselves rather than the supporters, but that without the support the team wouldn't function as good as it can do. He's pretty much silenced any doubters of his with this title and I would guess talks of stepping down will now transfer to talks of seeing how long he will stay at the helm. He has helped achieve this with a significant amount of "new" players involved in the squad and so has helped put to bed the idea that he got fortunate to have a talented bunch of players at the right time of his management of various county teams. The amount of county, Ulster & All-Ireland titles he has won as a coach/manager with Tyrone at Senior, U21, Minor levels, in his one year as Errigal Ciaran manager and taking teams from St. Ciaran's Ballygawley is mind-boggling.

10. I'm going to quietly celebrate in my little corner of the planet far away from home for now, away from all the buzz...
[/quotemy friend, good analysis,,but that comment was a little inappropriate

cadhlancian

Quote from: Take Your Points on September 22, 2008, 08:14:16 AM
Where does this leave Down?  The only team to beat Tyrone in the 2008 championship.

I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere but what about the clearance of the line by a Tyrone back when the ball almost bounced over the line having passed Packy McConnell?  Surely a turning point?
u sure this isnt the minor game u are talking about?

The Gs Man

Anybody see Michaela hitting someone a wee slap at the end when she was hanging off Mickey's neck trying to get on the TV?  Fair play!
Keep 'er lit

BerfArmagh

Congratulations to everyone concerned in Tyrone. As an Armagh & Ulster man I was 100% behind them yesterday. I work down south & I am sick of the negative comments made by the southern Media and others about Tyrone, Armagh etc... The amount who completely dismissed tyrone was unbelieveable, citing 6-7 point victory for Kerry! It was great to watch the sunday game last night and see Spillane & his cohorts eat humble pie.

Kerry just do not have an answer for Tyrone at the moment, Micky Harte is a genius (& it really reflects on those clowns calling for his head earlier in the year) He got his tactics spot on. I thought the Kerry management panicked and did not have a clue what to do, when it came to the crunch. Galvin should have been introduced at half time, after being out so long he needed at least 10-15 mins to get into the game. Why take off tommy walsh? He & the gooch were the only men winning ball.

Anyway, I thought the Mc Mahons were outstanding, likewise Dooher & Enda Mc Ginley. MOTM was Cavanagh. Now that you have 3, do ye fancy lending us mickey for a couple of years??

mouview

Great win by Tyrone. Donaghy is an effective footballer but his limitations were well exposed yesterday; T Walsh is not the finished article either though he will improve (especially if he goes to Oz!). Brosnan and Sheehan were poor - why do players like them usually play best v Galway? Galvin wasn't the answer to Kerry's problems, they needed quicker, more scoring forwards. Kerry will still be hard to beat next year, any team with Gooch will always be a threat,  but they won't have the aura of invincibility as before. Tyrone will be there again in 2009 but yesterday's result may open it up for next year.

Punditry-wise Joe Brolly takes the honours for calling it correct. The team of the season last night was a bit of a joke; Darragh O'Se had a better year than O'Neill, his sendings off notwithstanding. Meehan and Joyce had more claim to be selected instead of the ordinary Donaghy.  

Leo

Some recognition of a good refereeing performance would be in order for a change.
Fierce tame altogether

mouview

Quote from: Take Your Points on September 22, 2008, 04:22:09 PM
Quote from: The Gs Man on September 22, 2008, 04:13:06 PM
Anybody see Michaela hitting someone a wee slap at the end when she was hanging off Mickey's neck trying to get on the TV?  Fair play!

Actually, it might have a Guard who thouht Mickey Harte was being mauled by some female.  She was fairly slapping all round her.

That may have been Harte been congratulated by Pillar, who was stewarding, and acknowledging it.

Leo

Quote from: mouview on September 22, 2008, 04:23:01 PM
Donaghy is an effective footballer but his limitations were well exposed yesterday;

The team of the season last night was a bit of a joke; Darragh O'Se had a better year than O'Neill, his sendings off notwithstanding. Meehan and Joyce had more claim to be selected instead of the ordinary Donaghy.  

Donaghy has aerial ability and power but he loses a lot of ball and McMahon shows he can be marked. Walsh is a different propsition altogether and will be the star of Kerry for years to come.

Agree on Meehan for the team of the year. The big wrecking ball of a midfielder for Wexford (sorry, name forgotten but not his presence) would get my vote ahead of the brilliant but patchy Dara O'Se.
Fierce tame altogether

Doogie Browser

Quote from: mouview on September 22, 2008, 04:24:20 PM

Actually, it might have a Guard who thouht Mickey Harte was being mauled by some female.  She was fairly slapping all round her.

That may have been Harte been congratulated by Pillar, who was stewarding, and acknowledging it.

Well the Blue Book did say Pillar would be in Croke Park on the 3rd Sunday in September.

Leo

Was that his daughter? Looked like she hadn't seen him since 2003.
Fierce tame altogether

bcarrier

I dont think it was a good refereeing performance.

In the first twenty minutes Tyrone got everything from the ref...the Kerry full forward line were being constantly held ...there should have been more frees and not a single booking arose. Donaghy takes dogs abuse on the field ...Tommy Lyons mentioned it during year but there seem to be an attitude that he is big enough to look after himself.

The ref  probably balanced it out a bit later . Tommy Griffin was particularly lucky not to get the line.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Take Your Points on September 22, 2008, 04:29:52 PM
Quote from: Leo on September 22, 2008, 04:24:00 PM
Some recognition of a good refereeing performance would be in order for a change.

Maurice Deegan was excellent.  Commonsense with some authority goes a long way.  Dealt with all the handbags with good humour and didn't tolerate some intimidation, e.g. Joe McMahon having a go at young Walsh at the beginning of the game lead to Tyrone conceding a hop ball from a free out.  He didn't allow Dara's stupidity and Cavanagh's antics to spoil the game with a sending off.  Mind you it could have been a help to Kerry.

BTW did anyone think both teams were struggling with fitness in the last ten minutes, some players on both sides just couldn't raise a gallop.

Was it for that he threw the ball up or Ricey's shoulder into Gooch (I think) after picking up the ball to take the free kick? Initial impression was that it went against Ricey but not so sure now...

On the refereeing front I agree Deegan did a good job although I was sure he was gonna ruin it based on his earlier fussy outings this year. Good to see he loosened up as the year went on.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

AZOffaly

I thought Deegan was good enough. I'd probably have given more frees to the Kerry full forward line at times, but overall he was sensible and calm, which is vital in a cauldron like that.

Also, major bonus points for him/his linesman for giving a free in to Tyrone for an off the ball episode of pulling and dragging about 60 yards away. That's what needs to happen to cut that stuff out.

his holiness nb

Ask me holy bollix

Frank Casey

First off well done Tyrone.

I haven't watched the match recording yet to figure out exactly all the whats and the whys. I've been too busy nursing a hangover and fielding calls and texts from Langer neighbours and work colleagues. I've had to crankily reply that it reflects poorly on a county that they can only revel in another's loss when they have little success of their own to revel in and their women have to show them the way.

In terms of excitement yesterday the heart is still going at around 150%. Not taking away from Tyrone, they way they set themselves up and the way that they played, I think our sideline made a couple of bad calls that (and hindsight is 100%) might have been handled differently. Our 2 wing forwards had poor games. Brian Sheehan is a no 15 (or goalie) who is handy with frees but far from infallible. Brosnan looks disinterested. Darren O'Sullivan was brought on too late. Ditto Tommy Griffin and David Moran. Paul Galvin coming on may have raised the crowd, he did get some cheer as well as some booing, but he seemed well off the tempo of the game. Our twin towers did not get going. They were well marshalled, some off it maybe not 100% legit - but hey you play the ref and go by his whistle. We wasted alot of ball going in high and aimless. I thought Declan O'Sullivan had the run of the left wing channel a couple of times when he took it but with his wing forward colleagues not performing he played most of the time too deeply. His goal chance at the end - what if?

All the talk about yesterday being a decider for team of the decade - there's another year to go and Tyrone have yet to defend an All Ireland. Will this pick at Micky Harte's mind the same way that the Red Hand upsets ours?

All in all we can't grumble too much but remember - we'll be back.
KERRY 3:7