Tyrone v Kerry All Ireland Final 2008

Started by Seany, August 31, 2008, 08:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bcarrier

Well done to Tyrone. At times in first half yesterday I thought Kerry were going to cut loose but Tyrone kept hanging in there and eventually ground it out. After the save from Declan O'Sullivan Kerry lads wilted - you could see it in their body language. Sean Cavanagh really produced when Tyrone needed it .

Kerry will be back next year with two new wing forwards - Galvin maybe one of them but I doubt if Bryan Sheehan will be seen on the field at Croker again - Moran will be hitting the frees next year. I hope Darrragh O se doesnt quit - he was outstanding yesterday.

Was there any need for the booing of Galvin yesterday - I dont think I have ever heard the like of it at a GAA match. The lad has served his time.

AZOffaly

Very well done to Tyrone, completely deserved it, and Kerry are really unable to figure ye out. That happens with certain teams from time to time, but there's no doubt that Tyrone have the measure of Kerry in this particular era. Well done again.

I hope Kerry don't try and do any dramatic surgery. This wasn't a seminal beating like the one in 2003, or even in 2005. This was a game that they had chances to win, and but for some fine saves they would have been in business. This was two very evenly matched teams, and the slightly better one on the day won out.

Well done Tyrone, hard luck Kerry.

Also, condolences to John Devine and his family on the loss of his father. There are much more important things than football, but I hope Tyrone's win will help them somehow.

AZOffaly

Nearly forgot. Can someone dig out my quote in the Bad luck for Brian McGuigan thread from the start of the year where I said that if Tyrone gor Brian McGuigan and Stephen O'Neill back, they'd win Sam? :D :p

Billys Boots

Great game, really enjoyed it, and either team could have won with 10 to go.  Congrats Tyrone.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

SidelineKick

i also didnt like the booing of the minor lad who kicked mayos last free kick, no call for it in our game. however im not gonna be negative about yrone cos their performance yest was fantastic.

much better organised, far better game plan and they stuck to it and it came off for them in the end.  great game to be at. riddled with mistakes but for the neutral that made it all the more exciting. tyrone showed far more hunger and i think on the day thats what it came down to. great team, well done!
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

AZOffaly

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 11, 2008, 02:54:23 PM
If Brian McGuigan is back and healthy, and the brother stays fit as well, Tyrone will win the All Ireland this year.

Ahem :D Shag it, if Tony can do it, so can I :D

mylestheslasher

Congratulations to Tyrone. I have to admit I was one of the people that felt they had reached their peak and were on the way down. Have to hold my hands up and admit I got that wrong. Quite how Harte and the players turned things around so spectacularily is really amazing. Tyrone were so fit, hungry and sharp it was like they hadn't a tough season behind them. Kerry were relying on the brilliance of some of their players while Tyrone relied on a total team effort. Kerry had a few passengers while every  Tyrone player had a job and stuck to it. I suppose saying that these games hinge on the smallest little things, Kerry had an effort cleared of the line and then a great save by the Tyrone goalie. Doohers two points were incredible and Sean Cavanagh had a suberb game. Great to finish the season with such an entertaining final. Enjoy it lads. Now you are only 2 all irelands behind Cavan and Down ;)

GaillimhIarthair

Well done to Tyrone, very worthy winners for 2008.  

Commiserations to Kerry, but they were carrying a few passangers yesterday and there didnt seem to be any plan B from midfield up once the long ball option wasnt working.  

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on August 05, 2008, 04:09:57 PM
Tyrone
Armagh
Cork
Galway

Overall prediction...Tyrone to come from nowhere and lift Sam!! (OK, I'll take more water wiith it!!)

Wish I backed my gut on Aug 5th!!
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

Main Street

Quote from: ONeill on September 22, 2008, 07:26:35 AM
Quote from: Main Street on September 22, 2008, 01:02:43 AM
I didn't see all those long balls O'Neill was talking about that Kerry hit, in hope of landing on the 2 watchtowers.
Tyrone cut them off at the pass.

That's a truly remarkable statement. Kerry's first attack was a rocket launcher and in the first 15 minutes almost every attack was through the same method. I'd imagine if you sat down to watch it again you're talking about double figures.

I had a quick look at 12x speed and I had underestimated the number of hoofs directed at the full forwards.
About 12 in all and I am not counting the direct passes to the Gooch.
About 15 times Kerry passed or played their way through
and a few times ball fell well short.

You missed the sarcasm smiley on the scratching of the vessels.

saffron sam2

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on September 22, 2008, 06:08:34 AM
6. Donaghey and Walsh were well tied up by the Tyrone defence, not the first time some bearded men have toppled a set of twin towers. Cooper on the other hand had a sound game and poor Kerry tactics failed to capitalise on this. I find it very hard to believe after all these years that Kerry don't have a plan B for attacking tactics.

Despicable, disgraceful comment there. Can't even pass that off as an attempt at humour. You should be banned.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: saffron sam2 on September 22, 2008, 03:15:28 PM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on September 22, 2008, 06:08:34 AM
6. Donaghey and Walsh were well tied up by the Tyrone defence, not the first time some bearded men have toppled a set of twin towers. Cooper on the other hand had a sound game and poor Kerry tactics failed to capitalise on this. I find it very hard to believe after all these years that Kerry don't have a plan B for attacking tactics.

Despicable, disgraceful comment there. Can't even pass that off as an attempt at humour. You should be banned.

that has been doing the rounds for a couple of weeks now - would ya wise up

Fear Boirche

Always easy to be wise after the event, I know, but when the Down fans invaded the pitch in Newry, it was something which didn't sit easy with me. Ok, we had beaten Tyrone, but I did feel it was a big over-reaction.

I always knew at that point the Tyrone would go further than us in Championship, I didn't necessarily think they would win it, but felt that once  a few injuries cleared up and if they could get a good bit of momentum through the qualifiers, that they could get to the AI semi-finals at least. Knowing the type of person Mickey Harte is, I knew he would use that experience, as if he needed to, to motivate his players again.

I would also wonder what this means for the provincial championships? Neither team yesterday were provincial champions this year and Tyrone have 'only' won two Ulster titles in the last six years, but won three Sams.

Anyway, congratulations to Mickey Harte and Tyrone, they did it when it mattered and are worthy winners.

Can anyone break the six-year Tyrone-Kerry stranglehold on Sam?

corn02

Congrats to the Red Hands - well merited.

Croí na hÉireann

Well done Tyrone, was rooting for them even after Doohers antics up in Omagh. He was at them again yesterday and had Mugsy for company, not to mention Joe McMahon doing a Dub on it (tongue in cheek comment Gnevin before you blow a gasket)  >:( O'Mahony was the quietest I've ever seen him and his antics in the semi were probably still preying on his mind. Thought Tyrone were gonna kick it away in the second half, although fair play to Hughes for sticking at it. Did anyone see what happened for Colm Cavanagh's point? Take it Murphy made a balls of the kick-out, fecking rte...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...