Tyrone v Kerry All Ireland Final 2008

Started by Seany, August 31, 2008, 08:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

In the Onion Bag

Quote from: AFS on September 21, 2008, 07:27:26 PM
Would it be fair to say that Kerry did a bit of an Armagh today?

For Jeysus sake AFS, you are getting pitiful.  Trying for for some reflective glory from a game that Arma were not even involved in, nor even close to being involved?  Catch a grip?  
Tyrone now have 3 AIs so give them the credit they deserve and move on.  

pintsofguinness

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

anglocelt39

Slightly biased neutral here and have to commend both sides on a top class, entertaining, gripping final. No doubt about it this Tyrone side have a bit of an Indian sign on Kerry and towards the end you could see there were a few Kerry players getting extremely frustrated with how things were turning out.

Anyway, the future looks reasonably bright at an inter county level-back door All Ireland. Good levels of improvement from Cork, Galway, great breakthrough by Wexford, Fermanagh and Down can look forward with confidence even have to give my neighbours the Mushroom pickers an honourable mention. And sure as long as we have the Evening Herald to read the Dubs will be contenders.

So great year ,lots to look forward to in 09, certainly makes the annual hurling procession, as it currently stands, pale a small bit.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

FL/MAYO

Congrats Tyrone, watched it with a crowd from Armagh who were delighted to see Tyrone win..thought there was a hatred among Tyrone and Armagh supporters.
Tyrone just frustrated Kerry especially in the full forward line, Monaghan have shown the last 2 years what you need to do to Kerry to get a chance of beaten them. The game was not as good as 2005 but after the last 2 finals it was a pleasure to watch.

gorm agus bui

Fantastic result for Tyrone and Ulster and thoroughly merited.
Was a bit concerned after 15 mins and thought you were just about hanging on and that Kerry might just pull away at any stage.
Some great individual performances from the Red Hands but the collective was immense.
Also think we wlil hear a lot more about a lot of the two minor teams on show today in the years to come. Some quality players.

balladmaker

Congrats Tyrone....the team of the decade without a doubt, credit where it is due.  As an Armagh man, was it tough watching Tyrone collect their 3rd All Ireland?  Not in the slightest, it is always good to see the best team win, and will once again add that charisma to Ulster football that only comes with having the All Ireland Champions in the province.

Enjoy the pints this week.

Square Ball

just back from the pub after an long day on the beer, fair play to Tyrone best team won IMHO
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

J70

"Team of the decade"?

Kerry still have four All-Irelands this decade. There were obviously extenuating circumstances for Tyrone in 2004, but Kerry are the only side to successfully defend the title as well. I can see where the argument can be made for Tyrone, but I don't think it is that clear-cut, at least not without taking Kerry's perennial success for granted.

screenexile

Unreal game I though nip and tuck the whole way through and I like most thought things were ominous after the first 15 mins but Tyrone held fith with their system and it worked for them in the end.

Pat O'Shea got taught a lesson in tactics today. Gooch roasted his man for the first 15 minutes and then they persisted with the aimless high ball that wasn't working... why? Also it was plainly obvious that Tom O'Sullivan is having a nightmare of a season and how he could be left on Cavanagh for the entire game is completely beyond me!

Also Kerry's 2 WHF's Sheehan and Brosnan were anonymous and it was Davy Harte and Jordan who set this game up for Tyrone. I wonder how many times they got their hands on the ball?

Having said that Kerry did have some good performers. O'Sullivan, Gooch, Dara and Marc O'Se were all good but the rest were not up to scratch at all.

Tyrone also had their fair share of poor performers but to me their system and hunger won the day for them. With 4 minutes left they weathered the missed goal chance and then flooded the midfield with players and lads put their bodies on the line to win a serious amount of break ball which eventually led to their decisive scores.

McConnell, Dooher, McMenamin, the 2 McMahons, Harte, Jordan and Cavanagh all had great games while I thought McGinley whilst not being spectacular he broke a load of ball and did a lot of good work.

All in all I thought it a thoroughly enjoyable game of football between 2 excellent teams and I have no doubt both will probably be back in the near future. These 2 teams are the benchmark of this decade and in fairness no one has come close to either of them and it's up to everyone to get their houses in order to try and challenge the duopoly these 2 teams have created!!!

Benny Barnaveld

Its kinda hard to talk about what has happened over 10 years based on what has happened today in 10 mins! lol
I think today has definately set up the next Tyrone-Kerry encounter anyways.

The key think I took from today is what I always thought about most sports.

When playing a percieved "weaker side", you have to firstly match their effort and hunger, only then does the additional skill become apparent.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: J70 on September 21, 2008, 08:17:06 PM
"Team of the decade"?

Kerry still have four All-Irelands this decade. There were obviously extenuating circumstances for Tyrone in 2004, but Kerry are the only side to successfully defend the title as well. I can see where the argument can be made for Tyrone, but I don't think it is that clear-cut, at least not without taking Kerry's perennial success for granted.

Ive said it a few times that this "Team of the decade" stuff is pretty subjective but given Kerry and Tyrone have shared the last 6 AI's between them they would be seen as the dominant forces of the era. Tyrone have won all 3 of the championship matches between them during that era. Failing to beat their main rival for such a title would seriously weaken any Kerry claim to be the team of the decade. Not something which bothers me personally anyway, this Tyrone squad will go down as a great team whether they are "team of the decade" or not!

INDIANA

wonder will liam hayes ever get to write an article again after the garbage he wrote this morning?

screenexile

Liam Hayes is a gobshite. Good player he was yes but he continues to write sensationalist drivel that just isn't true every week. He tried management too and was shite so I think after that debacle this morning the Tribune might want to rethink who their resident 'expert' is for next season!

gallsman

Congrats to Tyrone, fully deserved victory. Cavanagh and McGinley were immense. Dooher's points were wonderful, but he spilled a shocking amount of ball, particularly in the first half, so has to be one of the former two for my MOTM. O'Sé also fantastic, but should have walked for that elbow into the back of Cavanagh's neck at half time. No matter what the level of contact, it was a dirty, cynical little foul after the HT whistle had been blown. Twin Towers were held not with ease, but a great deal of planning and hard work- great performance from Tyrone's FB line. Donaghy spent most of the game whinging. Was one moment in particular that highlighted for me why I dislike Cooper so much. Late in the second half, he and Gormley contested the ball. Gormley won a free and came up with the ball. Cooper tried to get in and niggle and was shrugged off and held down with one arm- he wanted none of it after that!

Hoof Hearted

as a derry man, all i can say is fair play to Tyrone, a first class side and well deserved, brilliant stuff
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012