Tyrone v Kerry All Ireland Final 2008

Started by Seany, August 31, 2008, 08:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

I don't know where that Tyrone intensity came from in the last 10 minutes.
It simply blew Kerry away. Up to then it could have gone either way.
I thought Dara O 'Se' gave his all,
but Tyrone  choked him out of midfield in the 2nd half.

thejuice

well done tyrone, deserved to win it, cavanagh had a great game, they controlled midfield and dooher got some nice scores. Kerry looked deflated in the second half.

but the gamewas dour, some awful football in it. it wont matter to Tyrone and better than the one sided affairs of the last 2 years but certainly didnt live up to its billing.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

pintsofguinness

Rufus
To my mind Kerry appear to have a mental bloc / psychological issue, when it comes to the Red Hands. I thought some of their play, particularly in the first half, where many balls in were long and aimless, was crazy when it became obvious it was not working. Kerry looked like a team that simply did not have the self belief, even when they took the lead late in the second half.
Agree rufus, I only seen the last 20 minutes or so but when the Kerry were up against it they blew it, didn't seem to have the composure or confidence - very unkerry like. 

Well done Tyrone.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Aaron Boone

Kerry will be back, as ever.

Tyrone now level with Offaly & Louth in the All-Ireland roll of honour.

Main Street

Quote from: thejuice on September 21, 2008, 06:07:09 PM
well done tyrone, deserved to win it, cavanagh had a great game, they controlled midfield and dooher got some nice scores. Kerry looked deflated in the second half.

but the gamewas dour, some awful football in it. it wont matter to Tyrone and better than the one sided affairs of the last 2 years but certainly didnt live up to its billing.
Peculiar, I thought the game was anything but dour and an enthralling intense spectacle from start to finish along with some high standard football mixed with other standards.
The ref did very well to deflate the negatives.

Carmen Stateside

Well done to all involved, great day to be a Tyrone man!  Just back from the bar were the celebrations are in full swing, unfortunately i have a match of my own in a couple of hours, so have to delay my celebrations :-\

Sean Cavanagh MOTM and Player of the Year, although Packie Mc Connell deserves a mention for his performance today!
So much for the Twin Towers what did the pair of them score today?  Mickey Harte got it perfect again, surely RTE wont do it and give him man of the match????

puskas

Quote from: Main Street on September 21, 2008, 06:16:05 PM
Quote from: thejuice on September 21, 2008, 06:07:09 PM

Peculiar, I thought the game was anything but dour and an enthralling intense spectacle from start to finish along with some high standard football mixed with other standards.
The ref did very well to deflate the negatives.

can't believe anyone would think that game was dour. lots of errors and spills but thrills as well. the errors were almost all forced due to the breakneck speed the game was played at. some of the scores were breathtaking given the lack of time and space the players had. if only more games were of the white-knuckle varierty like this.

Carmen Stateside

Thought Doohers couple of scores were unbeleivable! Especially his first there was men hanging of him under the Cusack stand and he still marched on to fire over!

amallon

Yeah I though Dooher was imense but I still can't like the man due to his perpensity to cheat, he was imense today.   

Well done Tyrone, I really enjoyed the game.  A well deserved win for the red hands.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Aaron Boone on September 21, 2008, 06:09:44 PM
Kerry will be back, as ever.

Tyrone now level with Offaly & Louth in the All-Ireland roll of honour.

And Mayo, what a great day's entertainment. Fair play to Tyrone a great team and Dooher and Cavanagh could both get motm. (Well RTE could do anything now you know)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

cavanmaniac

You can't but doff the cap to Mickey Harte and Tyrone. Very little usually gets between Kerry and their stated ambition, be it three-in-a-row, removing the Tyrone monkey or whatever, but if anyone was going to do it, it would be Harte.

First 20 mins, Kerry cleaned midfield and caused problems inside with fast high ball (thought Gormley was going to be roasted), but Tyrone were well in contention at half time despite not really being in the game. All game they didn't have a forward performing well and, as someone said above, to have won an All-Ireland with so little true score-taking potential and whatever bit of threat there was (Cavanagh) being deployed to firefight at midfield, is almost remarkable.

Second half, Tyrone showed they'd learned the lessons of the first. Darragh tired at midfield/was blotted out and McMenamin in particular cleaned up a sight of ball in the middle third. Any high ball in was rendered redundant by sheer Tyrone numbers, anything into the channels was snaffled up by sweepers.

That said, Kerry hung in very well and only a great save by McConnell prevented the game from swinging decisively in their favour, having come back well from the concession of the somewhat freak goal. Darren O'Sullivan made an imapct and should have been brought on earlier.

The last ten minutes Tyrone just blew Kerry out of it at midfield, a certain amount of luck involved in pinging balls always finding Tyrone hands but maybe you make your own luck. It took a while for the scores to come in this period of dominance but when they did, they flowed freely.

Harte, on the basis of this, is head and shoudlers above any manager currently operating and will surely take his place among the greats. That's three of the very, very hardest won All-Irelands he has steered Tyrone to, especially in comparison to Kerry's it must be acknowledged, and with the cast of players on duty today and various shortcomings throughout the side, it's a laudable achievement.

We haven't seen the last of this rivalry either, both sides are producing enough young talent to ensure that some day soon there'll be another All-Ireland decider between Kerry and Tyrone but the Kingdom will have to wait to break their Tyrone hoodoo and can't claim true supremacy until they do.

Bogball XV

Quote from: cavanmaniac on September 21, 2008, 07:04:51 PM

That said, Kerry hung in very well and only a great save by McConnell prevented the game from swinging decisively in their favour, having come back well from the concession of the somewhat freak goal. Darren O'Sullivan made an imapct and should have been brought on earlier.
He did for a few minutes as always, but faded out again - that said I would have started him and Galvin - or at worst I'd have brought Galvin on much sooner, Sheehan was a total passenger as was Brosnan - if anybody was needed there today it was Galvin.

In the Onion Bag

Quote from: seafoid on September 21, 2008, 05:20:26 PM
Unbelieveable day for Mickey Harte who has reached the summit after being as low as he could be following that Down match when everyone thought it was over.

Lovely to see Tyrone with 3 all-Irelands, no Kerry 3 in a row ..and Armagh still only have one Sam.

Ah now Seafroid no need for that. 

Benny Barnaveld

The Kerry half forward line definately did not shine today.
Penrose, Mellon etc are as good defensively as there are offensively, whereas O'Sullivan, Brosnan and Sheehan are not so good.
They were not paticularly deep as I recall, just made more headlines for poor tackling when they did bother to close or track back.
The Kerry heads definately dropped, and this is when Tyrone really came to the fore. For the Kerry men seeing Sheehan missing handy scores from place kicks must have been particularly hearrtbreaking.

Pangurban

Well done Tyrone, worthy champions, fcuk the begrudgers