Tyrone v Kerry All Ireland Final 2008

Started by Seany, August 31, 2008, 08:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

congrats tyrone i take my hat off, i called it right as well ;D ;D ;D.

will kerry mike ever be heard of again?????????????

spiritof91and94

Best team won and we will wait for Mr Spillane tonight  ;D ;D
Well done Tyrone!

DUBSFORSAM1

Congrats to Tyrone on winning.....MOTM has to be McConnell for Tyrone for that 1 save if nothing else....

Only question is why when they have such good players do they have to resort to cheating, diving, and the carry-on at the end....

Stalin

Aye McConnell couldnt be far off MOTM, fair play to him.

Aye Tyrone players seemed to be goading the opposition a lot throughout the match. Most noticeably at the end after Galvins blocked shot, someone was crouched over at him in his face rather than celebrating the win  >:(

Hate to see that.
A single death is a tragedy; a million deaths is a statistic

Bogball XV

Quote from: Take Your Points on September 21, 2008, 05:33:19 PM
Stephen O'Neill was distraught after the game.  Could it be disappointment with his game and feeling that he didn't deserve to be a winner?  Without him the goal would never had happened.

Well done Tyrone and amazing feat for Mickey Harte given the resources available to him.  A good team beat a team of good footballers.

Is Packy McConnell MoTM given his two great saves, one of his best games, never fluffed a lickout.  Gooch stayed well away from him.
A good team beat a team of good footballers.
Pretty much sums it up tbh.  McConnell's second save was unbelievable, the first was a poor finish and Walsh should have taken the point, I still think Cavanagh was the most influential player on show and it would be a travesty if he doesn't get man of the match.

spiritof91and94

Kerry are no angels either - they goaded the cork players non stop in the semi final

puskas

well done tyrone, briliant stuff.

tyrone, the team of the decade, the northern decade.

kerry can take little comfort in soft all-irelands against the likes of mayo and cork. they have now died 3 times in the second halfs of All-Ireands against northern teams. will they ever recover? will they every beat a northern team in a final again? will any southern team win a final aginast a northern team again??

maybe mikey sheehy has the answers

Our Nail Loney

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: puskas on September 21, 2008, 05:40:58 PM

kerry can take little comfort in soft all-irelands against the likes of mayo and cork. they have now died 3 times in the second halfs of All-Ireands against northern teams. will they ever recover? will they every beat a northern team in a final again? will any southern team win a final aginast a northern team again??

Jaysus it's started already.

Main Street

Quote from: INDIANA on September 21, 2008, 05:27:24 PM
will kerry mike ever be heard of again?????????????
Of course he will, he's already planning Kerry's recovery to scoop the team of decade award

Bogball XV

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 21, 2008, 05:45:16 PM
Quote from: puskas on September 21, 2008, 05:40:58 PM

Jaysus it's started already.
my thoughts exactly, it's like how Bush managed to dissipate all the sympathy and goodwill that was extended to the US post Sept 11.

Hardy

Great entertainment for the neutral - both games. Great second half performance by Tyrone but you'd have to wonder at Kerry's tactics - or more to the point their loss of tactics when the pressure came on. Tyrone were always going to deny them midfield possession as much as possible and did this effectively by keeping the ball away from Dara O Sé and making him irrelevant in he second half. But Kerry still had enough possession to have been more than a point in front going into the last ten if they hadn't forgotten the game plan. They started trying to run it through Tyrone instead of doing what was working and feed the full forwards fast and that was perfect for Tyrone's closing down tactics. A game won and lost on the sideline, I'd say.

Congratulations Tyrone.

Benny Barnaveld

The whole thing was heading for a Tyrone win the second half. The early goal for nothing, Kerry wastefull with chances etc. All the injuries in the second haf too broke the game up and did not allow Kerry to flow.

It was the little things 2. Sheehan normally does not miss, yet today he hit 2/3 bad place balls by hs standards. Kerry were hitting long balls into the forwards which was a good idea, but not when they were being double/triple marked by Tyrone backs.

Ultimate credit to Mickey Harte.  That match was won on the line, the Tyrone system beat Kerry, not tyrones individual skill.

Rufus T Firefly

Congratulations to Tyrone - very well deserved victory. What a manager Mickey Harte is - as Marty Morrissey said in interview - one of the great tacticians. And what a player Sean Cavanagh is - an absolute all time great. Congratulatons also to fellow club mate Collie Holmes who wins his third Celtic Cross - subbed at half time, although still had a solid thirty five minutes.

To my mind Kerry appear to have a mental bloc / psychological issue, when it comes to the Red Hands. I thought some of their play, particularly in the first half, where many balls in were long and aimless, was crazy when it became obvious it was not working. Kerry looked like a team that simply did not have the self belief, even when they took the lead late in the second half.

Quote from: AFS on September 21, 2008, 05:31:06 PM
Quote from: seafoid on September 21, 2008, 05:20:26 PM
Unbelieveable day for Mickey Harte who has reached the summit after being as low as he could be following that Down match when everyone thought it was over.

Lovely to see Tyrone with 3 all-Irelands, no Kerry 3 in a row ..and Armagh still only have one Sam.

Classy  ::)

Don't worry about it AFS. Seafoid is a poster of old whose distaste for Armagh was fuelled by some of the lunatics that posted here around 2002. He is a rare visitor now, so should irk less and less.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

A great day for Tyrone, its a special team to have gone through a lot of tough times and to come back and win a 3rd Sam. I didnt think it was anywhere near as good a match as the 2005 final and in the first half Tyrone were pretty ragged. Kerry must have been kicking themselves that they didnt take advantage on that as they should have been further ahead at the break. Second half was much better for Tyrone but I feared we were going to throw it away when we failed to hammer home the advantage with some bad wides (Hub played well again but his shooting is awful ;D) then Kerry going ahead. Once again though the self belief Tyrone have came through and they lifted it again when it really mattered in the closing stages. Kerry must be sick, they wont like to hear it but once again they wilted at the key moment against Tyrone. IFelt sorry for Colm McCullagh having to go off injured so early but he has his All-Ireland medal and has been a key player this season for Tyrone.

Mickey Harte has done an incredible job with this team. People said he wouldnt win an All-Ireland without Peter Canavan. He just won it without PtG and with a forward line which wasnt near as strong as the 2003 or 2005 versions. I didnt believe Tyrone could win an AI without the regualr flow of scores from SON and Mugsy but I was never happier to be proved wrong. Delighted for Mickey and for all the players (lads like Brian McGuigan in particular after all he has been through). Mickey will surely go down as one of the greatest managers ever. Special day :).