Tyrone v Kerry All Ireland Final 2008

Started by Seany, August 31, 2008, 08:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on September 16, 2008, 07:26:14 PM
Interview with McGuigan

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/7616997.stm

Fair play to Brian, delighted for him that he's back on this stage after all he's been through. Hopefully he has a big game in him for Sunday, the boy is a class act.

Mike Sheehy

You know, the build up to this AI could not be going better for us. In 2005 maybe we were going into the game with certain assumptions e.g it was going to be like 2003 etc but this year all the assumptions are coming from Tyrone...I have lost count of the number of times that some Tyrone poster has said that Kerry are "worried" about Tyrone or that Tom O'Sullivan is "worried" about Stephen O'Neill....Tyrone are placing an awful lot of emphasis, indeed seem to be banking on, Kerry being "worried" about Tyrone. There seems to be an internal script playing through the heads of Tyrone people e.g Stephen O'Neill will come on, score 1-3...Kerry will crumble etc, etc" that you wonder what is going to happen if things dont start going to plan. The last time  team that went into a game with such strong assumptions about the opposition or the way a game was "supposed" to go was the Dublin team a few weeks back and, before that, probably us in 2005.

People will say, of course, that what posters say on here has no impact on how the Tyrone team are thinking but its hard to seperate the mental attitude of the team from its people. I saw a great quote from a Kerry poster on hoganstand a while back which said (roughly)

"In 2003 we were expecting a shootout and got a dogfight
In 2005 we were expecting a dogfight and got a shootout
  This year we are expecting everything and nothing"

that pretty much sums it up.

The bottom line is that Kerry are mentally prepared for the shit to hit the fan on Sunday. Whether they can deal with it or not is another question but I am beginning to wonder if Tyrone are mentally prepared for the shit to hit the fan ?

never kickt a ball

Quote from: Kerry Mike on September 16, 2008, 07:21:06 PM
If its true that Tyrone are not shaving until they win Sam, McMahon and co will be tripping over their beards in a few years time.

No they're not shaving until they're beat Kerry Mike so I suppose your prediction will be accurate enough. 8) They'll be some length by the McKenna Cup alone.

Kerry Mike

QuoteNo they're not shaving until they're beat Kerry Mike

f**k me has it got this personal?
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

cadhlancian

Quote from: Kerry Mike on September 16, 2008, 07:21:06 PM
If its true that Tyrone are not shaving until they win Sam, McMahon and co will be tripping over their beards in a few years time by the time they win it again  ;)

At least it improves McMenimen looks, he was an ugly looking bollix up to now with a face that not even a mother could love.

maybe the gooch could use one as well? Tasty looking chap ;D

ONeill

Still looking forward to this more than any other emotion. In 2003 there were serious nerves. In 2005 there was the feeling that after 9 wretchedly nerve wrecking games, and issues around burn-out, we'd better not bloody lose it now. This feels like a bonus and is fairly unexpected. However, the desire to win a Sam, third or not, is there as strong as ever in this squad which is reassuring. Sunday can't come quickly enough. These lads are on the brink of true greatness. Many said they were a 'great' team when they outplayed Kerry in 05 - this is another level.

For Kerry....every All-Ireland needs to be won.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

johnpower

Quote from: ONeill on September 16, 2008, 09:58:38 PM
Still looking forward to this more than any other emotion. In 2003 there were serious nerves. In 2005 there was the feeling that after 9 wretchedly nerve wrecking games, and issues around burn-out, we'd better not bloody lose it now. This feels like a bonus and is fairly unexpected. However, the desire to win a Sam, third or not, is there as strong as ever in this squad which is reassuring. Sunday can't come quickly enough. These lads are on the brink of true greatness. Many said they were a 'great' team when they outplayed Kerry in 05 - this is another level.

For Kerry....every All-Ireland needs to be won.

For every team every All Ireland needs to be won .

Fear ón Srath Bán

The reality is, and this is no disrepect to Kerry, Mayo or Cork, but the last time the Kingdom successfully had to 'battle' for an All-Ireland (final) was 2000, against Galway (Replay, 0-17 to 1-10). The finals of 2004, 2006 & 2007 did not have to be fought for.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

johnpower

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on September 16, 2008, 10:07:51 PM
The reality is, and this is no disrepect to Kerry, Mayo or Cork, but the last time the Kingdom successfully had to 'battle' for an All-Ireland was 2000, against Galway (Replay, 0-17 to 1-10). The finals of 2004, 2006 & 2007 did not have to be fought for.

Very true . They were poor strange Games ..I thought the Mickey Harte Interview was very good .What is the story with the Tyrone Goal Keepers . I though the big man Paschal was very good in Tralee in the league game this year ?. which by the way was very close even though Kerry had most of the possession .

Fear ón Srath Bán

I think John Devine is being picked ahead of him John because of his greater accuracy and variation on kick-outs, and that's a facet that could be critical on Sunday.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ONeill

Quote from: johnpower on September 16, 2008, 10:06:53 PM

For every team every All Ireland needs to be won .

I'd say at the start of every year, only the players of Kerry, Cork, Dublin, Tyrone, Armagh, Galway and Mayo have realistic designs on Sam.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

johnpower

Mickey Harte says it will go right down to the wire . It will be a tense day out . All I need now is a ticket

Armamike

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on September 16, 2008, 08:13:29 PM

People will say, of course, that what posters say on here has no impact on how the Tyrone team are thinking but its hard to seperate the mental attitude of the team from its people. I saw a great quote from a Kerry poster on hoganstand a while back which said (roughly)

"In 2003 we were expecting a shootout and got a dogfight
In 2005 we were expecting a dogfight and got a shootout
  This year we are expecting everything and nothing"

that pretty much sums it up.

The bottom line is that Kerry are mentally prepared for the shit to hit the fan on Sunday. Whether they can deal with it or not is another question but I am beginning to wonder if Tyrone are mentally prepared for the shit to hit the fan ?

I think you're onto something MS. I get the feeling, especially since the return of O'Neill, that the expectations are rocketing. Kerry will know exactly what they're up against this time.   
That's just, like your opinion man.

Puckoon

Mike plural (armagh and Sheehy) - if you think that the expectation and excitement around the O'Neill county is going to seep into the mindset of the 31 boys in red and white on the croke park pitch on Sunday - then you really have no clue.

Mickey Harte will have none of it, and they will be primed for the toughest game of their careers - and so will Kerry.