Tyrone v Kerry All Ireland Final 2008

Started by Seany, August 31, 2008, 08:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maggie

comethekingdom

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on September 14, 2008, 09:37:33 PM
Pat Spillane just (for the first time that I can remember) pronounced Tyrone properly, i.e, Teer-Owen, and not TIRE-Owen, as per the As Gaeilge. Perhaps it was that letter into the Irish Times from a few weeks back that did the trick, from a Gaeilgoir Galway lad who'd had enough of his mangling of the name. Progress, I suppose, but he still has time yet to murder it before the Sunday Game ends. QED.  ;)

Sure what harm in Mr P Spillane mispronouncing Tyrone? One P Canavan who pundits on the Last Word with Matt Cooper always says 'Trone' - and he's a native Trone man!! :D

Puckoon

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Puckoon

Hes just smarter and more eloquent than the average hallion from the O'Neill county.

comethekingdom

Well youse cant slag Pat for not pronouncing it correctly - he lives about 300 miles from yere county, would have very little contact with Tyrone natives (I presume) and never had much reasons for discussing Tyrone until lately so give him a chance! ;)

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: comethekingdom on September 15, 2008, 10:03:32 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on September 14, 2008, 09:37:33 PM
Pat Spillane just (for the first time that I can remember) pronounced Tyrone properly, i.e, Teer-Owen, and not TIRE-Owen, as per the As Gaeilge. Perhaps it was that letter into the Irish Times from a few weeks back that did the trick, from a Gaeilgoir Galway lad who'd had enough of his mangling of the name. Progress, I suppose, but he still has time yet to murder it before the Sunday Game ends. QED.  ;)

Sure what harm in Mr P Spillane mispronouncing Tyrone? One P Canavan who pundits on the Last Word with Matt Cooper always says 'Trone' - and he's a native Trone man!! :D

Say Teer-owen really fast, like you were a native, and it may come out like T'rone. But TIRE-owen, will always come out like you're some gombeen from the backwaters  ;)

And if Spillane knew anything about the native tongue he'd know that Tír can never be pronounced as TIRE  :P

Thanks Puck, that's a pint I owe you  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

comethekingdom

Thats ok but only people from Tyrone would want to speak with a thick tyrone accent. Each county to their own - thats what I say. I've noticed as well, some nordies pronouncing Kerry as 'Carry' !

Frank Casey

Galvin out injured. A bad fall in training.

KERRY 3:7

CiarraiAbu

Perhaps the fact that Pat actually presents the programme through the medium of English has passed some of you buy but I would be inclined to think that that is why he (like the rest of us Ciarraíoch) pronounces it Tyrone.  Thats just a thought though!!!! :P
"Its the way Kerry people answer back" - Captain Declan O' Sullivan 2007

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: CiarraiAbu on September 15, 2008, 10:42:24 PM
Perhaps the fact that Pat actually presents the programme through the medium of English has passed some of you buy but I would be inclined to think that that is why he (like the rest of us Ciarraíoch) pronounces it Tyrone.  Thats just a thought though!!!! :P
'Tis a woeful shocking ignorance all the same, whatever spin you'd like to apply to it!  :P

Awful news about Galvin, eh?  ;)

Frank Casey

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on September 15, 2008, 10:44:25 PM
Awful news about Galvin, eh?  ;)

Well they will knock skelps out of each other in training  ;)

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Frank Casey on September 15, 2008, 10:45:59 PM

Just not half hard enough Frank  ;)

Frank Casey

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on September 15, 2008, 10:58:18 PM
Quote from: Frank Casey on September 15, 2008, 10:45:59 PM

Just not half hard enough Frank  ;)

Shure we'll have to leave a little for the red hands to do.