Tyrone v Kerry All Ireland Final 2008

Started by Seany, August 31, 2008, 08:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyssam5

Quote from: ONeill on September 12, 2008, 11:39:30 PM
First half radio commentary of 2005 final - has taken me 3 years to upload this!

http://www.zshare.net/audio/18671414a1b8dfa6/

Jeez that was getting good! Who won?

Carmen Stateside

Sure it was over at Half time anyhow! :P

Was great hearing Micheal in full flow!

time ticking away

Quote from: Over the Bar on September 13, 2008, 12:54:01 AM

QuoteI think Tyrone will name the same starting line-out with the Penrose/McGuigan and Holmes/Hughes/Mellon positions a possible talking point.

You honestly think Penrose might start ahead of Tommy McGuigan O'Neill? What's your thinking there?I think Holmes deserves the nod if fully fit but could see either of the other 2 taking his place.  Enda the only sure started in MF. 

Tommy will definately start. He has become an excellent target man
canavan is the man canavan is the man ee aye adi ooh.......

Baile an tuaigh

Quote from: AFS on September 13, 2008, 01:37:09 AM
Quote from: Over the Bar on September 13, 2008, 12:54:01 AM

QuoteI think Tyrone will name the same starting line-out with the Penrose/McGuigan and Holmes/Hughes/Mellon positions a possible talking point.

You honestly think Penrose might start ahead of Tommy McGuigan O'Neill? What's your thinking there?

I think Holmes deserves the nod if fully fit but could see either of the other 2 taking his place.  Enda the only sure started in MF. 

I'd say he's on about Brian not Tommy. Its an interesting point, will Tyrone stick with McCullagh at CHF and leave B McGuigan out or will McGuigan come back in and push McCullagh back into the corner? If I was Mickey Harte I'd stick with McCullagh, he was very good in the semi and McGuigan has been hit and miss this year for Tyrone this year.

You might be on to something there AFS. Brian Mc Guigan could well be replaced by Colm Mc Cullough. Interesting listening to "O Neill's" comentry clip. Brian Mc Guigan's name came up a lot. Most of the play was coming through him. Would love to hear the second half. Thanks for posting O Neill that was very enjoyable.

Tyrones own

QuoteYou might be on to something there AFS. Brian Mc Guigan could well be replaced by Colm Mc Cullough. Interesting listening to "O Neill's" comentry clip. Brian Mc GuiganGuigan's name came up a lot. Most of the play was coming through him. Would love to hear the second half. Thanks for posting O Neill that was very enjoyable.

That was three years ago lads, IMO if it comes down to McGuigan or McCullagh to start,
has to be McCullagh, I still have my doubt's about Brian's fitness, could be very useful in the
last 25 minutes though.
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

tyssam5

I just watched the 2005 game again. Looking at it dispassionately (kind of) there was a fair few mistakes in that game. Tyrone should have Kerry dead and buried before T O'Se's goal. Kerry driving long, high balls in made zero sense that day. If we see Ricey coming out of defence with as many balls this year it will be a good sign. Kerry's full forward line is so much better this year. I also think their full back line is a lot better. Maybe Kerry posters will have seen more of them but I never really rated Mike McCarthy or T O'Sullivan that highly.

Bar Peter, we have the full team back and some extra lads in there. All to play for, I think how Justy McMahon goes at full-back will be vital, he has been great, but he'll be marking a different class of player, Donaghy was good in 06 and 07, but I think he's better now, his decision making and all round play has really come on. Players from 2005 won't decide the game, I think how the new men go will make or break both teams.

Expect whoever Colm O'Rourke picks as our weak link before the game to be MOTM. 2003 Dooher and before 2005 he said Mellon wouldn't get near the Kerry team!

ONeill

I was thinking along the lines of Brian McGuigan v Penrose. I know it sounds like a ridiculous match-up but for this game there's the chance that Mickey'll stick to the side that blitzed Wexford in the first half. Brian's class is undoubted but in terms of match fitness and workrate Penrose might have the edge. He probably will bench Penrose. Some option though if B McGuigan and O'Neill are both on the bench, coming on to shore up a 12-point lead.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

bcarrier

Quote from: Fuzzman on September 11, 2008, 02:34:34 PM
Some other counties are very quick to "Tar us" Tyronies with the same Negative, defensive qualities that came from Armagh
Armagh based their great years around being defensively strong with 2/3 scoring machines.

For years Tyrone played much more FREE PURE style football with little in the idea of tactics on how to win ugly.
So the more physical teams like the Meaths, Armaghs, Derry and Dublin would have not let us play our sexy football and so we often faltered on the big stage.

Now that is revisionism. The Tyrone team of mid 80s John lynch, Noel Mcginn et al was one of the dirtiest ever .

Aaron Boone

Build-up from The Kerryman newspaper this week:

Thursday September 11 2008

ALONG and winding road has been traversed since the start of the championship last May and now the journey is almost complete.
On September 21 a sellout crowd of 82,000 people will descend on Croke Park and, given the background, with Tyrone considered Kerry's "bogey" team and Kerry striving for three in-a-row the level of public interest is unprecedented. Consequently, the build-up to this game is electric and probably exceeds any other of recent memory.

"The greatest football championship in the world"– that's what the television advert rather extravagantly calls the GAA's summer competition. An abuse of hyperbole, undoubtedly, but it's an excellent slot just the same showing an Irish pub in New York with followers of both teams, some of them wearing green and gold jerseys, getting all excited about what they see on the small screen.
Then the question is posed: How did we get here?

Kerry got here by playing Clare in the first round, Cork (three times), Monaghan and Galway while Tyrone had to play Down (twice), Louth, Westmeath, Mayo, Dublin and Wexford. That seems to indicate a fairly level playing field in terms of advance competitive action. It was all so different three years ago when Tyrone survived nine preliminary games (five of them in Croke Park) before the final whereas Kerry had only five games in which to hone their preparation. That made a difference. In any event Tyrone won by three points. Two years earlier they destroyed the same opposition in the semi-final, winning by 0- 13 to 0-6.

The 2003 result will rank among the most devastating ever inflicted on Kerry at such an advanced stage of the championship. It compounded the narrow defeat to Armagh in the final of 2002 along with the previous annihilation by Meath (2- 14 to 0-5) in 2001. Later that evening on television the Meath manager, Sean Boylan, looked genuinely perplexed and embarrassed by the ease with which his side had won. Kerry teams usually learn their lesson if and when they are put to the sword, especially in Croke Park, but as of now they still haven't managed to cope with Tyrone in the championship. Two defeats in five years is quite a lot and it could get worse. The popular view is that the Tyrone style (famously referred to by Pat Spillane on TV as "puke football") doesn't suit Kerry and, deep down in their hearts, the players and management would probably feel much more comfortable if they were playing any other team.

The days leading up to an All- Ireland final constitute the most exciting phase of a player's life regardless of whether he is Darragh Ó Sé (playing in his eighth All Ireland final) or Tommy Walsh who is about to play in his first. Injuries are always a big concern at this time and for somebody like Kieran Donaghy, who is reportedly carrying a knee injury, there is additional worry. Similarly, Sean Cavanagh, the Tyrone full-forward, who retired against Wexford, will probably have some anxiety about his fitness as well. The rival supporters feast on these days of anticipation. A small number of Kerry fans will gather in Killarney to watch Pat O'Shea put his team through their paces and they will form their own opinions, whether right or wrong. Obviously, there will be some concern about the manner in which a big lead has been passed up on four separate occasions this year but, overall, the feedback will be positive.

Tommy Griffin has brought power and stability to the fullback line. Marc Ó Sé looks to be coming back to his best. Seamus Scanlon has emerged as a midfielder of real substance. Paul Galvin is back in the frame after a nightmare season when the GAA authorities, with predictable self-righteous bluster, gave him a hard time. The manner in which Galvin was treated is one of the main reasons why Kerry supporters are desperate to win this game. No doubt, the players will feel the same way.

Similarly in Tyrone there are plenty of reasons for wanting to win. Another victory for the Red Hands would end all arguments and the signs are pretty good. The old flair is back after a poor early season when they appeared to be going nowhere. But that changed quite dramatically with the rout of Dublin in Croke Park, which was arguably the most complete display of the championship so far. A total of 3-14, with only one point not coming from play, would seem to indicate as much. If Tyrone reproduce that form on September 21 they will be hard to beat. Mickey Harte, who masterminded the All Ireland victories of 2003 and 2005, has his own personal dream of three in-a-row. The Tyrone manager is considered a tactical genius and one of the architects of the "blanket defence", although he would never claim any personal accolades. He is a modest man who says he is merely blending the old style with the new. His forte is getting the very maximum out of the talent at his disposal and getting the individual players to knit as a team. Remarkably, he is not averse to plucking somebody out of thin air and converting him into a full-back (Joe McMahon in 2005) or making a midfielder out of a corner-forward, in the case of Enda McGinley. This year, Justin McMahon, another rookie full-back, has been doing well in a key position.

Tyrone people are well known for their warmth, good humour and hospitality as many visitors will attest. There is always a bed for the night and an Ulster fry for the passing wayfarer. Rather curiously, there is also a lot of respect for Kerry football. This is in stark contrast to the hostility that will often surface elsewhere, especially in the pubs of North London, when GAA matches are shown live on television. For both sides there is a lot at stake. On the weekend of September 21 a huge travelling army will be on the move with most of them heading down the M1. The bulk of these people have been through it all before and they will be quietly confident. They didn't fear the Dubs and their 60,000 supporters and they won't fear Kerry. That's for sure. But the opposing faction will be equally confident and they, too, will come out in force. This is their stage and, tickets or no tickets, they will want to be in the thick of it come hell or high water.

Rarely if ever before has Kerry's football tradition been exposed to such searing and unforgiving scrutiny. Seldom if ever has the pride of a county been laid on the line in such a stark and compelling confrontation. One thing is certain. The battle lines are drawn and the winning, wherever it falls, will not come easily.

QUOTE: "I'm fairly confident that Kerry will win. I don't see it going any other way" – Former Kerry wing back Mick Finucane who played in the Polo Grounds final of 1947.

Kerry Mike

Heard this evening there is a major injury doubt after emerging in the Kingdom after this evening's kick about.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

never kickt a ball

Quote from: Kerry Mike on September 13, 2008, 08:09:46 PM
Heard this evening there is a major injury doubt after emerging in the Kingdom after this evening's kick about.

Kerry Mike

Sad news indeed just got a further update and he will be a major blow to our hopes after putting out his shoulder when getting caught in a crunching shoulder sandwich with Paul Galvin and Darragh O'Sé. He was rushed to Tralee General where he will have an operation this evening, he has but a slim chance of being allowed to tog out next weekend.

We will miss him for the final but being a loyal servant to Kerry over the years will still get a medal if we somehow manage to win in his absense.

We wish you a speedy recovery ..................

the great .............................

The legend..............................

A.N. Other.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

tyssam5

Gaffer

Any Tyrone supporters got any details on any GAA chat shows on tihs coming week. I know there is one in the Moy some night but dont know if it is sold out or if you even need tickets. And is there any other shows anywhere?
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"