Tyrone v Kerry All Ireland Final 2008

Started by Seany, August 31, 2008, 08:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyssam5

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

right!

Grabbing a man with two hands pulling him down and landing on top of him, OK so I've never played rugby. So now that we've cleared up that it was not a rugby tackle, what of the timing? Do you think it was accidental that he 'badly tackled' his man in midfield with his team ahead with two minutes to go? Please tell me it was total accident and that the golden years were unsullied by such gamesmanship, after all we all know that it was the 'Nordies' who brought such actions to Croke Park. Please help restore my faith in football?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Don't mind him Puck, he must lead a very empty life, we should pray for him really.

(Beardie) Bomber Liston, in an interview with Paddy Heaney in today's Irish News, reckons that:

"Beating Tyrone in a final is huge from our point of view. There is no talk about a three in-a-row. It is just about beating Tyrone and getting this one. The players feel that it would diminish their other two if they don't beat Tyrone."

In other words, if Kerry don't beat Tyrone on Sunday week the players themselves will view the 2006 & 2007 All-Irelands as soft! (And possibly 2004 too!)

No pressure, eh?  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: heineken_on_tap on September 11, 2008, 04:13:18 PM
A lot of people do not like the way Tyrone play - deal with it.

Is it fair to say, hot, that you don't have much time for the Kilkenny hurlers and their method of playing as a spectacle either?

And sláinte Baile an tuaigh, fair dues.

tyssam5

Where did Louth go? I'm having a Golden-Years faith crisis and he deserts me? FFS!

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: heineken_on_tap on September 11, 2008, 04:03:03 PM
First of all , Why would I be jealous - I applaud the fact that ye have won two AI's in recent years. Indeed I roared ye on in both AI's but the fact is I dont like the brand of football ye play and I think it is ok to say that.

What evidence do I have - well to be honest I dont keep notes but as an avid follower of football surely i am entitled to my opinion. I dont like the way Armagh and Tyrone have developed the game over the years but fair play it was effective. What I dont like is the swarm defence and what that brings to the game. it is moving away from the way Gaelic should be played IMO. And Fuzzman I agree, Kerry are no street angels but I prefer the way they play the game.

Youre fully entitled to your opinion but surely you arent suggesting Tyrone and Armagh play the same style? Thats just a lazy cliche, the only real similarity is pulling men back behind the ball at times but other than that the styles are very different. That style of defending is hardly unique to either county anyway, our opponents on the 21st are no strangers to it either.
If you want to have a go at Tyrone bringing men back to defend then fine but what about the blanket attack? Im astonished any fan of Gaelic Football could watch Tyrone matches like the 2003 Ulster Final, the two 2004 league semi's, the 2005 quarters, semi's and final, the Donegal and Monaghan matches last summer and the recent Dublin and Wexford matches and say that Tyrone arent good to watch :o.

ONeill

The labelling of 'swarm defence' is completely misunderstanding the development of athleticism and the natural progression of most sports. Tyrone can 'swarm defence' and 'swarm attack' as can Kerry and most top sides. That's because their athleticism allows them to do so coupled with being excellent footballers.

On a side note, fecking credit crunch. Had the option of buying a table/seat for a very resonable price at the CityWest. She'd murder me.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: ONeill on September 11, 2008, 10:01:06 PM
The labelling of 'swarm defence' is completely misunderstanding the development of athleticism and the natural progression of most sports.

Indeed ONeill, it's another lazy cliché at this stage (as Lamh Dearg Alba rightly says) -- if Kilkenny surrounding the Waterford attacker with 3, 4 or 5 defenders every time they got the ball in their last third last Sunday isn't blanket defending then Mike Sheehy's an unreconstructed Taliban of a Tyrone man. Defending like a team, attacking like a team, and that's what we've rediscovered big-time. It ain't easy though, and only to the jaundiced eye will it appear as a negative thing.

Frank Casey

Quote from: Over the Bar on September 11, 2008, 04:00:27 PM
The stars are moving into alignment!!

In 1916 the Aud was scuttled off the Kerry Coast.

In 2005 Tyrone beat Kerry  19-16

In September 2008 the Asgard sinks  and with it Kerry's hope of 3 in a row will be scuttled by Admiral Harte and Captain Dooher!!

OTB I don't know whether it makes it creepier on not but the Aud was scuttled in Cork Harbour. In 2008 we were holed in Cork but got it refloated in Croke Park.
KERRY 3:7

ONeill

1908, 100 years ago, Dublin completed the three-in-a-row by beating London (our closest neighbours over the Sperrins) having beaten Cork in the final the previous year. I'm not going now.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Pangurban

One thing can be absolutely gauranteed in this match, particularly given the Referee, it will not end 15 a side. I fear that the ref. could spoil this game with his ponderous, pedantic, over fussy style. A very bad appointment to take charge of a potential classic game between two superb highly competitive teams. A lot of common sense will be required and our Maurice is short on that commodity

ziggysego

Not familiar with the ref Pangurban. Is he someone to be worried about?
Testing Accessibility

Frank Casey

From: http://www.kerryman.ie/news/kerryrsquos-prodigal-son-returns-1473874.html

I sure all Paul's fans will appreciate this. Divine.

LIKE the prodigal son, Paul Galvin has returned and all is forgiven, not that he ever really sinned in the first place.
Monday night's Kerry team training session in Killarney was a scene to behold; priests, All-Ireland medal holders and teenage girls joined in communal welcome for the Finuge man whose return has provided fuel injection to this well-oiled Kerry machine.

Between the two of them, Killarney publican Jimmy O'Brien and Fr Liam Brosnan have watched Kerry training sessions for over a century, from Dr Eamon's era through to the present day.

"I never saw anything like it in my time, and I'm around a long time," said Jimmy. "He has brought a new dimension again. He's flying".
Few county championship matches could boast such an atmosphere. And when Galvin floated the first ball over the bar, nobody was left in any doubt but that the prodigal son meant business.

For the thousand or so dedicated fans who went to Fitzgerald Stadium on Monday night it was as if the ill wind that has blown in the face of Kerry football all summer has finally changed direction — and just in the nick of time as the current squad prepare to become one of he greatest gaelic football teams of modern times.

Fr Liam Brosnan saw his first training session in 1946, the All- Ireland now known as the Harvest Final. Sixty-two years later, the Killarney priest still casts an eye over Kerry teams in their quest for All-Ireland glory. Over the years, he has collected about 150 signed photographs of All-Ireland winners.

Monday night, Paul Galvin was added to the collection.

With a blessing and a clap on the back, Paul Galvin and Fr Brosnan parted ways. They will meet again, God willing, on the Hogan Stand, Sunday week, shortly after five o'clock, Sam in hand.

ziggysego

That's great Frank, but didn't KM say earlier that Kerry would never disclose how Kerry players are performing in training before an All-Ireland Final... especially one that is returning after a prolonged absent?
Testing Accessibility

Frank Casey

Quote from: ziggysego on September 11, 2008, 11:30:03 PM
That's great Frank, but didn't KM say earlier that Kerry would never disclose how Kerry players are performing in training before an All-Ireland Final... especially one that is returning after a prolonged absent?

Who says we are????????????????????????? Mind you there's over a thousand witnesses to keep quiet.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Thanks for that Frank, now the spotlight is truly off our Stevie: Galvin's on Fire!  ;)