Tyrone v Kerry All Ireland Final 2008

Started by Seany, August 31, 2008, 08:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyssam5

Anyway lads enough about Tyrone, Kerry did well in the mid-field the last day with Cork having to bring out Cussen. I'd say them lads will be severely annoyed about Dara waltzing back into the team for the final? Strolling down the steps laughing the last day at the final whistle after his self-imposed rest, while the rest of the lads were out there busting themselves.

Galvin back onto the team, the supporters will give him a big roar but will whoever makes way feel the same?

Over the Bar

QuoteShould have waited until next year, would he not have been concerned about upsetting the zen of the panel.

I bet Michey Harte never thought of that.  You should apply for the job of sports psychologist for Louth the next time it comes up, or Armagh.

An Fear Rua

small banner I put together , hope it doesnt upset the balance  :P

Its Grim up North

Bensars

Some very intersting stats there.
Hadnt realised that coppel had scored as much. I thought he had more from frees.

Another point that jumped out at me was Dublin  and their three, 3 in a rows. Post 1923 they have only won 8 All irelands.

Also the last 5 times Kerry have met an Ulster side in an All Irleand final they have lost 4 of them. ( i realise 86' and tyrone before its pointed out)

Over the Bar

Tyrone
Average For: 1-15; Average Against: 1-11.

Kerry
Average For: 1-16; Average Against: 1-12

On that basis not much to pick between them!    Who'd bet against a 1-16 to 1-15 scoreline either way??

Over the Bar

Quotesmall banner I put together , hope it doesnt upset the balance

nice one AFR!  Get it up on a big banner for the final!  Yer bound tae make the telly!

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on September 10, 2008, 09:30:00 PM

ALL-IRELAND FINAL DEFEATS

Tyrone: 1 (1986

We havent been in that many All-Ireland Senior Finals that we should be forgetting about them, remember 95 ;).

Fear ón Srath Bán

Didn't proof read it, not like Hoganstand to have a howler of one description or another, not half!

And taking the averages to one decimal place (and one of which was out by more than one):

Tyrone:
Average For: 1.0-15.6; Average Against: 1.0-11.0
Nett: 0-4.6

Kerrry:
Average For: 1.3-15.2; Average Against: 1.2-10.8
Nett: 0.1-4.4
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Kerry Mike

Quote35 - KERRY
(1903-04-09-13-14-24-26-29-30-31-32-37-39-40-41-46-53-55-59-62-69-70-75-78-79-80-81-84-85-86-97-2000-2004-2006-2007)

Yerra have we won that many? f*ck me.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Mickeys beard

Quote from: Kerry Mike on September 10, 2008, 10:24:45 PM
Quote35 - KERRY
(1903-04-09-13-14-24-26-29-30-31-32-37-39-40-41-46-53-55-59-62-69-70-75-78-79-80-81-84-85-86-97-2000-2004-2006-2007)

Yerra have we won that many? f*ck me.

Looks like some sort of Kerry y-chromosome
Boil the Drawers!

tyssam5

I see Paddy Heaney is writing pieces from Kerry this week, lucky ba$tard I would love a week fannying about down there chatting about football.

-----------------
Weeshie tuned into the heart of Kingdom football obsession
Heaney in Kerry
By Paddy Heaney
09/09/08
Legendary Kerry GAA journalist and broadcaster – and former All-Ireland medallist – Weeshie Fogarty
IN THE KNOW: Legendary Kerry GAA journalist and broadcaster – and former All-Ireland medallist – Weeshie Fogarty (above) is the man with 'the knowledge' when it comes to all things football in the Kingdom. Picture: The Kerryman

By way of explaining to Weeshie Fogarty why I was going to spend a week in the Kingdom, I said to him: "There is a fascination with Kerry football in the north."

"There is a fascination with Kerry football in Kerry,'' came the prompt response from the other end of the line.

Weeshie (short for Aloysius) is my Kerry contact.

I first encountered him four years ago when I was a guest on his award-winning radio programme, Terrace Talk.

Broadcast by Radio Kerry every Tuesday night, Terrace Talk is essential listening for any man, woman or child in Kerry that professes an interest in football.

Weeshie also has a column in The Kerryman newspaper. Mike Sheehy also has a column in The Kerryman, but the thoughts of the eight-time All-Ireland medallist can be found on the inside pages.

Weeshie's column is on the back page – and for good reason.

Here are a few extracts from Weeshie's last column about the All-Ireland semi-final replay. The sight of David Moran (son of Ogie Moran) coming onto the pitch and taking a vital catch reminded Weeshie of the old adage that "an ounce of breeding is worth a ton of feeding."

And the manner in which Darren O'Sullivan and Colm Cooper linked to score the match-winning goal into the "railway end'' prompted Weeshie to recall how "two other Killarney townies, Tadghie Lyne and Johnny Culloty had combined to rescue Kerry with the equalising goal against Cavan at this very same goal in 1955. Kerry won the replay."

The 14-year-old Weeshie was at that game in Croke Park and he's missed very few since. He was a goalkeeper and played minor, U21 and senior football with Kerry. The reserve 'keeper to Johnny Culloty, he was on the Kerry squad that won the All-Ireland title in 1969. A

detached retina ruined his career.

Although he has now established himself as a much-loved broadcaster and journalist, Weeshie made a late entry to the media game. He spent 32 years working as a psychiatric nurse in St Finnan's Hospital in his native Killarney.

You get the sense that football was a much-needed outlet for Weeshie. Anyone who loves football should meet him at least once.

His eyes twinkle at the mention of former greats. He has an encyclopaedic knowledge of games and players. He has played with and against the likes of Mick O'Connell and Mick O'Dwyer. He is a treasure trove of anecdotes.

When I met him yesterday morning in his native Killarney, he told me about his latest project. He is compiling a team of the 15 classiest footballers ever to wear the Kerry jersey.

The key criteria are skill, balance and technique. I rhymed off a few names. Maurice Fitzgerald, Mick O'Connell, Colm Cooper, Mike Sheehy. I could see Weeshie nodding his head in agreement.

Then I said: "Spillane, Pat Spillane." Fortunately, I quickly corrected myself. "No, he was probably more about speed than skill."

"That's right Pid-ay,'' said a clearly delighted Weeshie, who reacted like a enthusiastic school teacher.

Weeshie then confirmed some of the other names. Johnny Culloty was the goalie, John O'Keefe was the full-back, O'Connell and Shanie Walsh were at midfield. Tómas Ó Sé was at wing-back.

I raised my eyebrows when Weeshie mentioned Ó Sé's name. "Tómas Ó Sé has scored 3-20 in Championship football for Kerry," came the firm and authoritative response. I thought better than to argue with a man who knows the scoring total of a wing-back.

After we'd polished off some tea and scones, Weeshie took me on a tour of his town.

Our first stop was Jimmy O'Brien's pub. The fact that it's painted green and gold is the first sign that it might be a football pub. The walls inside are a museum of information. There is a framed copy of Luke Kelly's memory card. A photograph of Mick O'Connell in full flight. Signed hurling sticks. Uileann pipes. A framed copy of a column that Con Houlihan had written for The Kerryman about digging turf.

Jimmy, the elderly owner, was the occupant. He was seated with his back to a wall, sorting out club lotto tickets that he sells for the

Gneeveguilla club. Dr Croke's and Killarney Legion are the main clubs in Killarney, but Jimmy sells them for Ambrose O'Donovan who is one of his customers.

Tom Long, another All-Ireland medallist, is also a regular.

The next spot on the tour was Tatler Jack's. It's owned by Eddie O'Sullivan who was a selector to three different Kerry managers. His son is the vice-chairman of the Kerry county board, while his son-in-law is Pat O'Shea, the current manager of the senior football team.

Eddie was brushing the front step when we approached. Paul Galvin was the main topic. He was due to train with the seniors that night. As we talked, a young fella in a suit walked past.

"That's Pat Corridan,'' said Eddie to me, "He's on the Kerry panel."

I checked a programme. He was No.30 for the last game. Eddie must have recognised him by the back of his head.

From Tatler Jack's, we nipped down an alleyway which led us to an estate agent shop bearing the name of Tom Spillane, who just has the three All-Ireland medals.

"Colm Cooper doesn't live far from here either," noted Weeshie as we headed to meet Donie Sheehan, the selector who discovered 'the Bomber' Liston.

Donie had nipped out to his chemist shop, but Weeshie told the story: "Donie spotted 'the Bomber' at a trial match. He said 'the Bomber' was awful slow but he knew that O'Dwyer would be able to make a footballer out of him."

We finished our walk of the town back at Weeshie's house. He lives a short distance from the hospital where he worked, and the Kerry

Legion ground where he played.

Johnny Culloty, the man who kept him out of the Kerry team, and who captained the county to All-Ireland victory in 1969 lives four doors away.

The O'Shea family live next door to the Fogartys. "Four boys out of that house won All-Ireland medals with Dr Croke's in 1992," said the proud neighbour.

Weeshie's wife, Joan has just returned from a pilgrimage to Lourdes. She went with Johnny Culloty's wife.

"The Bishop wanted to know why you and Johnny weren't there,'' said Joan.

"Bishop Murphy would have loved the two of them there,'' said Joan before explaining that the religious leader is "a fierce man for the

football".

Before leaving, Weeshie arranged to pick me up later that evening as I was going to be a guest on his Terrace Talk show. It's the ultimate honour for any non-Kerry citizen.

In the meantime, Weeshie has to prepare a talk that he will give to the Kerryman's Association in Dublin tomorrow morning.

The topic is: "The Secret of Kerry Football."

Anyone who takes a dander around Killarney in the company of Weeshie Fogarty will find the secret staring them in the face.

There is no secret. It's called obsession.

Baile an tuaigh

Just thought I would put up this remarkable and tragic story. The timing is right. Puts into context this Tyrone's team story.

McGirr's Legacy Lives On © Copyright The Sunday Tribune Malachy Clerkin August 24th 2003 "I think it has been a real basis for the character of these lads that are now in the senior team. They've grown together. They did a lot of growing in a short space of time. And although it's human nature that people move on and get on with their own lives long after something happens, I think there's a lasting bond there. It's a hidden thing that nobody really talks about but certainly a number of the players are aware of it. There was an unwritten pact to say, 'Let's go forward from here and do the best we can. And maybe, just maybe out there, there's a Paul McGirr factor without anybody making a deal of it.'" Tyrone manager, Mickey Harte. THE traffic was a mess in Omagh that day, so bad that instead of getting the team bus to take them from lunch in Molly Sweeney's to Healy Park, the Tyrone minor team decided they'd be just as quick walking. Besides, it was no harm strolling through town as a group, red and white kit-bags slung over their shoulders, matching tracksuits letting the world know who they were. The town was black with people, each and every one there to see them and the senior team play Armagh. Walking the walk added to the occasion. They knew their opponents well. Cormac McAnallen was at St Patrick's College in Armagh and Fr Gerard McAleer, joint-manager alongside Mickey Harte, was about to enter his final year teaching at the same school. Earlier that year, Fr McAleer had been in charge of the St Pat's team that had been beaten in the final of the McRory Cup by St Patrick's Dungannon. The priest reckons that of the 30 boys who took the pitch in Omagh on 15 June 1997, he'd coached at least three-quarters of them at one stage or another. It turned out to be a disjointed, patternless dog of a game. Tyrone weren't the fluid attacking outfit they'd been billed as and had it not been for three beautiful second-half points from Kevin Hughes, their season would probably have been over before it had really begun. Steven McDonnell was lobbing over points from all angles for Armagh but was getting very little help. In the end, Tyrone's greater physical presence just about told. They won by 1-10 to 0-9, their goal coming after only 10 minutes when wing-forward Paul McGirr dived in front of Armagh goalkeeper Willie McSorley trying to get to a loose ball. The pair collided and although he got there momentarily ahead of McSorley, McGirr didn't rise to celebrate after the ball dribbled into the net. The Tyrone team doctor, Seamus Cassidy, attended to him on the pitch before calling for a stretcher. He was taken to Tyrone County Hospital. The word was that he'd cracked a few ribs. Required Reading 22
After watching the seniors grab a lucky win in the second match, the rest of the players walked back to Molly Sweeney's for their victory meal. The double done over Armagh, the sun high in the sky, it had been a fine day all round. Declan McCrossan was the team captain and he took it upon himself to hurry through his meal so he could go to the hospital to check in on McGirr. He, Stephen O'Neill and Aidie Ball always travelled together so the three of them headed off. There was no sense in everyone visiting at once – if Paul was going to be in for a few days, it'd probably be best to space out the visits. So most of the rest of the panel went home. "The traffic was really bad," McCrossan recalls. "So we took a few of the back roads to get to the hospital. We got in and the first thing we saw was a priest talking to these two men. We didn't know who they were or anything, we just wanted to find a nurse who could tell us where Paul was. But then we heard the priest say something like, 'Well he was a young lad who died doing something he loved. Playing football for his county and enjoying himself.' And we were just like, 'Holy *, hang on a minute here. What's after happening?'" What was after happening was that Paul's liver had ruptured in the collision. One of the main arteries connected to the organ had torn away and the bleeding had become impossible to control. Paul died just after six o'clock, still dressed in his Tyrone gear. • • • Paul McGirr was the youngest of Francis and Rita McGirr's six children. He'd started his footballing life with Errigal Ciaran in an under-12 team with the likes of Mark Harte and Cormac McGinley as teammates. Rita was a teacher in Garvaghy, Francis a farmer. He farmed bits and pieces of land around the area but when the chance came to move to bigger holding out in Dromore, he took it. Paul's older brother Mickey continued playing for Errigal but Paul transferred to Dromore. He was a quick-witted kid, never short of a one-liner or a comeback if the dressing-room started humming with banter. One of the few on the panel who wouldn't be underage again the following year, he was in the middle of a sports and leisure course at Fermanagh College. Beyond that, he was a Manchester United fan and had a photograph of himself and Alex Ferguson shaking hands at Old Trafford to prove it. He was outgoing and cheerful and if a party needed a little life and soul, he wouldn't be long stepping up to the plate. On the field, he was a classy forward. Not especially stocky or well-built, more angular and lean. He was tall enough for a minor and carried himself around the pitch gracefully. His natural game was stylish and elegant but he wasn't afraid to stick his head in among the flying boots if he had to. He lived to play for Tyrone. The night before the Armagh match, he bumped into Fr Tom Breen, the Dromore parish priest, the man who would say his funeral mass just four days later. Fr Breen told him to get home and get a good night's sleep. "Oh, I won't sleep," said Paul. "I'm too excited to sleep." • • • Required Reading 23
Mickey Harte arrived at the hospital just as McCrossan, O'Neill and Ball were coming out. They told him the news. He can remember the blood draining from his face and his first reaction being that of a father rather than a football manager. Paul had been wearing the number 12; his son Mark had been wearing 13. He has no idea how he'd have begun to cope in Francis and Rita McGirr's position. The funeral was the following Wednesday. Peter Canavan brought one of Paul's county jerseys up to the altar as an offertory gift. Various members of the panel carried the coffin a little of the way from St Dympna's Church to St Davog's graveyard. GAA people came from all over the country, including then president Joe McDonagh and former president Jack Boothman. The squad had been together on and off for most of the week, but they met up formally for the first time in the Glenavon House Hotel in Cookstown that Friday night. Harte and Fr McAleer brought in a psychologist, Dr Niall McCullough, to talk to the players. They broke up into small groups and talked the week's events away. The tragedy had had a devastating effect on them, even though some of them would only have met Paul for the first time that April when the squad had started training in earnest. Souls were bared, shoulders cried on. A group of young footballers left their testosterone and their egos at the door and quietly grieved together. Fr McAleer says it was the most traumatic time in his life, worse than the sudden death of his mother four years ago or even the Omagh bombing. It was the randomness of it all that shook him, the fact that a boy he'd coached had collided with a boy he'd taught and one of them hadn't got up again. Like he says, it wasn't as if Paul had been out wrecking cars or messing around in a pool in Spain. He was a kid playing football. Kids don't die playing football. They don't. "It was a horrible, sad time for everybody," says McAnallen. "But the bond that developed between us in those few days became really tight. Whenever we did eventually get around to thinking about the next match, players knew each other an awful lot better, for better or for worse. We came to trust each other and depend on each other." An important part of that night was Dr Cassidy's explanation of what had happened to their teammate. He assured them that Paul had died in a freak accident, that the chances of it happening had been minuscule, the chances of it happening again smaller still. Even so, Harte remembers that for a good while afterwards, his players treated injuries with much more apprehension than they had previously. That meeting set the antibodies to work and gradually, the wounds started to heal. When they met for training the following Monday, they got straight down to business. They had done their grieving, they had cried their tears. Now it was time to play football again. Harte and Fr McAleer were careful not to make the rest of their season a crusade for the memory of Paul McGirr. It would have been cheap emotional blackmail, nothing more. Instead, it was decided to retire the number 12 jersey for the rest of the year. On the morning of the next game, against Monaghan in Clones, McCrossan received a letter from Rita McGirr wishing him and the team all the best and thanking them for their support. They walked slowly out onto St Tiarnach's Park that day in single file, boys carrying grief like
Required Reading 24
men. Still, life went on. They beat Monaghan 4-14 to 3-7. The newspaper said they suffered from some defensive lapses. Many will be familiar with the rest. They built up momentum, took Antrim in the Ulster final and got past Kerry after an epic replay in the All Ireland semi-final. Laois caught them in the headlights in the final, but the majority returned the following year to take Tyrone's first All Ireland minor title since 1973. Victory was sweet that day, but sweeter still was the under-21 title they lifted in 2000. This was the team Paul McGirr played on taking care of business they left unfinished the first time around. As they lined up for the photo that day, McCrossan felt someone tap his shoulder. He turned around to see Francis McGirr standing there. They shared a lengthy hug. Tyrone took another All Ireland under-21 title the following year and started spilling almost en masse onto the senior panel. Eight of the squad named for the game against Armagh that day in 1997 will be in the dressing room for this afternoon's semi-final against Kerry. Another four were on the panel but since the management had to name a squad of 24, they weren't given jerseys on the day. Twelve players from one minor panel is quite a harvest and Harte has always acknowledged the part coping with Paul McGirr's death played in the reaping. Fr McAleer believes strongly that the tragedy made them better people and taught them about character in times of crisis, character that brought them back from the brink against Kerry that year and against Down and Derry this. McAnallen says while his name is never mentioned, Paul's legacy is forever there. "When you look at things now and you look at the way things have snowballed because of the success of those years, it's true that the events surrounding Paul's death were one of the things that kick-started everything. There's a bond there that we'd feel would give us an advantage over other teams." A silver lining, then. Not that it could ever make up for the cloud.

Puckoon

BanT - Thank you for posting that article. Successful teams, and passionate fans will always have their detractors, but no one can take anything away from these boys who have already lost so much, while gaining so much simultaneously. One of the chief contributors to that article, and to the thoughts of the time, is also no longer with them. In Mickey Harte's diary - he alluded to Cormac McAnallen (before he passed away) as being the unspoken leader of that group of young men. After Pauls death, and after the omagh bomb, when they would meet - all would want to be in Cormacs group.

It is a testament to everyone involved with that entire group, that the core has held together for so long. In a time when other counties are dealing with home made porno stars, team lock ins at the managers licensed premises, leaking of supposedly secret books for training, leaking of recorded half time manager speeches - we will take what we have in Tyrone every day of the week and whether we win, lose or fall on the 21st of September - it will be done as a team.

tyssam5

Had not looked back on that article for a while, don't mind saying that it brought more than one tear to my eye. Reminds me of why I'm so privileged to be heading home to watch this game with my family.

rrhf

There were certainly times this year when many believed that the current golden era of Tyrone footbball was over.  It appeared that the motivation the, togetherness had all disappeared, mediocrity was setting in.  But whatever chemistry exists between these men is very special, their self pride, group belief, absolute committment and determination are outstanding attributes all which should stand them in great stead when they finally hang up their boots.  The tragic sudden deaths of Paul and Cormac lives in the subconcious  of each and every Tyrone person who experienced those times. Add in the tremendous unprecedented success of the period and you can not overestimate their importance amongst the players who knew them as friends and team mates.  As has become tradition more than a few bedecked cars next saturday or Sunday will slow down outside Eglish Graveyard to view the spot where a Tyrone flag flys and our captain lies, and it sends us on our way. Many people may not have known Cormac beyond his games on the field, but we are all bonded together and reminded of the pain of his closest when it comes to Tyrone successes.  This year would have been Cormacs third all ireland final. The one thing as Tyrone supporters we will always be up for the slagging up for the craic but many hearts were forever broke those days and as ALL Ireland days come closer we tend to think back and reflect, and remember the guys as they would want to be remembered, successful Tyrone footballers who played their part.