Tyrone v Kerry All Ireland Final 2008

Started by Seany, August 31, 2008, 08:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Colm Coyle wouldn't be Mr Deegans biggest fan.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

orangeman

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on September 03, 2008, 05:11:52 PM
Quote from: orangeman on September 03, 2008, 05:08:44 PM
If Tyrone win, he'll be a great ref, if we're beat he'll be a bollox - isn't that the way it works ?

that's the way things go  ;)

Many flags up around Ardboe?

Quite a few - the paint has been ordered and the bunting is about to go up ! There's a new Tyrone shop opened in Coalisland as well !  ;)

Gabriel_Hurl

Excellent - I'm meeting the boss this afternoon to see if he'll be switching my holidays round so that I can come home

Kerry Mike

So this is is then. Kerry v Tyrone

Its been a strange year for us but its great to be back in Croke Park for All Ireland final day, our 7th this decade and our 5th in a row, some achievement in itself but such sentiments mean nothing. We have lost a League and Munster final already but there are serious medals to be won now and the focus has to be winning and not so much that its Tyrone we are playing, though the mind games are in full swing already.

Hard to get the mind around it at the moment after all the ups and downs during the month of August, Monaghan presented a stern match up but thankfully Donaghy's goal killed off their challenge but who knows what would have happened if Hanratty had goaled.

Galway in the rain had their chances too but thankfully a brave move by Pat O'Shea throwing in Daniel Bohane to quell the rampant Joe Bergin paid dividends. Who can forget Michael Meehans scoring prowess.

Then the rebels part 2 in a crazy game, we had the game in the bag but allowed them to score 2 late goals to give them a reprieve and then last Sunday we let them back into it again being 9 ahead but thankfully we closed out the gate and are through to the decider again.

Hopefully all the good and bad points from those game will be put to good use in the build up to the final. A final we have reached without our captain and also missing the team's spiritual leader for 1 full game and 2 half games againts the rebels.

Galvin owes his colleagues a world of gratitude to get him the opportunity of a possible final appearance, it did not look too likely with all the uproar after his moment of madness with Paddy Russell. But Galvin too needs to repay a big debt to the Kerry team.  Will he play, probably but I dont think from the start. Can see him making a huge impression in the game.

Our problems are there for all to see, Diarmuid Murphy has had a few blunders this year but will hardly be changed at this stage of the year and his kickout though  reasonably good still need to be varied, the full back line is a problem, full back in particular has been a big concern, while Marc O'Se has been off form compared to last year, thankfully Tom O'Sullivan seems to have found himself again, but Sean Cavanagh and co will give us lots of problems. Padraig Reidy form of his debut year last year has deserted him too so it may only leave the option of playing Tommy Griffing for the final at full back, In itself not a bad thing as Cavanagh will roam out the field at times, Which would leave Tom O'Sullivan detailed on possibly Tommy McGuigan with Marc O'Se following McCullagh.

Our half back line like Tyrone's has been out most consistant of the year, Tomas O'Se is playing the captain's role and seems to be peaking nicely, while leaving aside the dive against Cork, Aidan O'Mahony has had a great year too, was subdued in the replay last week and had a harsh free against him at a vital time in the second half, at least he did not rise to the baiting of the diving signals of a few of the langers. Killian Young too seems to have shaken off his injuries  and has imposed himself in most games and will be hoping to add a senior medal to his U21 from earlier in the spring. The 3 of them pick themselves but all will have a busy day trying to curb the threat of Dooher, McMahon and possibly Penrose or Brian McGuigan.

Midfield is the key platform of the game and Seamus Scanlon has really stood up over the last few games to deliver, while Darragh was resting himself for the final it was left to Seamus and to a lesser extent Mike Quirke (another great move by Pat O'Shea) to keep the rebels at bay. Both will need to be on top of their games for the big joust in a few weeks. And though we are expected to win the aerial battles its what happens when they get back to earth that will matter most. Quick release of the ball is vital to get Cooper and Co working in time and space.

The half forward line again has not really clicked this year though Declan O'Sullivan is approaching his true potential as a leader of the team. Who flanks him on the wings will be the talking points in the Kerry team's make up, I think it will be Sheehan and Brosnan but both will have to contribute alot more than they did recently, Sheehan was held scoreless by Canty the last day but I'd expect him to start for his free taking alone, Brosnan if he starts will need to get stuck in but Donnach Walsh has taken the opportunities given him during Galvins extended holiday and may be in line for a final fling, and Mr Galvin himself will be bursting a gut when he gets back into full training with the panel next week to try and reclaim his starting spot. Darren O'Sullivan though probably deserving of a starting spot will be held back in reserve as will Sean O'Sullivan and even David Moran comes into the reckoning given his role in the Cork game, seems the few skelps Darragh and himself had in training had no long term harm.

Who ever wears the 10 and 12 jerseys for us will have to be well thought out as they will first of all have to try and impose their attacking style on the Tyrone trio but then will have alot of defending to do also when, Harte , Jordan and McMenimen and others counter attack as they do so well.

Our full forward line will also be unchanged, Cooper , Donaghy and Walsh form a formidable attacking prong, how Kerry get ball to them and hows its used and then how Tyrone defend it will be one of the core winning points of the game. Cooper has started to hit a good vein of form and Donaghy has really stood out as a leader both at full forward and in midfield when he has moved out there. Tommy Walsh has been a handfull for all who have marked him and hopefully his confidence will be buzzing for the final. All three will be given a bag of lice and a razor for the expected bearded full back line. Though Gormley minus the beard is sure to figure on either Donaghy or Walsh with McMenimen detailed to make a nuisance of himself on Cooper. I'd say poor Gooch will have a bad dose of beard rash after this game.

Lots of work to do for us in the next 3 weeks but its a good place to be with many unanswered questions but glory beckons and the fabled 3-in-a-row is within touching distance. Thats the prize but its up to us to go out and win it and the minds need to be right like last year, it wont be easy but am looking forward to a cracking game with probably the 2 best teams of this decade

Am away to put my thoughts together on Tyrone.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

time ticking away

Quote from: Kerry Mike on September 03, 2008, 09:27:45 PM
So this is is then. Kerry v Tyrone

Its been a strange year for us but its great to be back in Croke Park for All Ireland final day, our 7th this decade and our 5th in a row, some achievement in itself but such sentiments mean nothing. We have lost a League and Munster final already but there are serious medals to be won now and the focus has to be winning and not so much that its Tyrone we are playing, though the mind games are in full swing already.

Hard to get the mind around it at the moment after all the ups and downs during the month of August, Monaghan presented a stern match up but thankfully Donaghy's goal killed off their challenge but who knows what would have happened if Hanratty had goaled.

Galway in the rain had their chances too but thankfully a brave move by Pat O'Shea throwing in Daniel Bohane to quell the rampant Joe Bergin paid dividends. Who can forget Michael Meehans scoring prowess.

Then the rebels part 2 in a crazy game, we had the game in the bag but allowed them to score 2 late goals to give them a reprieve and then last Sunday we let them back into it again being 9 ahead but thankfully we closed out the gate and are through to the decider again.

Hopefully all the good and bad points from those game will be put to good use in the build up to the final. A final we have reached without our captain and also missing the team's spiritual leader for 1 full game and 2 half games againts the rebels.

Galvin owes his colleagues a world of gratitude to get him the opportunity of a possible final appearance, it did not look too likely with all the uproar after his moment of madness with Paddy Russell. But Galvin too needs to repay a big debt to the Kerry team.  Will he play, probably but I dont think from the start. Can see him making a huge impression in the game.

Our problems are there for all to see, Diarmuid Murphy has had a few blunders this year but will hardly be changed at this stage of the year and his kickout though  reasonably good still need to be vadied, the full back line is a problem, full back in particular has been a big concern, while Marc O'Se has been off form compared to last year, thankfully Tom O'Sullivan seems to have found himself again, but Sean Cavanagh and co will give us lots of problems. Padraig Reidy form of his debut year last year has deserted him too so it may only leave the option of playing Tommy Griffing for the final at full back, In itself not a bad thing aas Cavanagh will roam out the field at times, Which would leave Tom @Sullivan detailed on possibly Tommy McGuigan with Marc O'Se following McCullagh

Our half back line like Tyrone's has been out most consistant of the year, Tomas O'Se is playing the captain's role and seems to be peaking nicely, while leaving aside the dive against Cork, Aidan O'Mahony has had a great year too, was subdued in the replay last week and had a harsh free against him at a vital time in the second half, at least he did not rise to the baiting of the diving signals of a few of the langers. Killian Young too seems to have shaken off his injuries  and has imposed himself in most games and will be hoping to add a senior medal to his U21 from earlier in the spring. The 3 of them pick themselves but all will have a busty day trying to curb the trhreat of Dooher, McMahon and possibly Penrose or Brian McGuigan.

Midfield is the key platform of the game and Seamus Scanlon has really stood up over the last few games to deliver, while Darragh was resting himself for the final it was left to Seamus and to a lesser extent Mike Quirke (another great move by Pat O'Shea) to keep the rebels at bay. Both will need to be on top of their games for the big joust in a few weeks. And though expected to win the aerial battles its what happens when they get back to earth that will matter most. Quick relaese of the ball is vital to get Cooper and Co working in time and space.

The half forward line again has not really clicked this year though Declan O'Sullivan is approaching his true potential as a leader of the team. Who flanks him on the wings will be the talking points in the kerry team make up, I think it will be Sheehan and Brosnan but both will have to contribute alot more than they did recently, Sheehan was held scoreless by Canty the last day but I'd expect him to start for his free taking alone, Brosnan if he starts will need to get stuck in but Donnach Walsh has taken the opportunities given him during Galvins extended holiday and may be in line for a final fling, and Mr Galvin himself will be bursting a gut when he gets back into full training with the panel next week to try and reclaim his starting spot. Darren O'Sullivan though probably deserving of a starting spot will be held back in reserve as will Sean O'Sullivan and even David Moran comes into the reckoning given his role in the Crok game, seems the few skelps Darragh and himself had in training had no harm.

Who ever wears the 10 and 12 jerseys for us will have to be well thought out as they will first of all have to try and impose their attacking style on the Tyrone trio but then will have alot of defending to do also when, Harte , Jordan and McMenimen and others counter attack as they do so well.

Our full forward line will also be unchanged, Cooper , Donaghy and Walsh form a a formidable attacking prong, how Kerry get ball to them and hows its used and then how Tyrone defend it will be one of the core winning points of the game. Cooper has started to hit a good vein of form and Donaghy has really stood out as a leader both at full forward and in midfield when he has moved out there. Tommy Walsh has been a handfull for all who have marked him and hopefully his confidence will be buzzing for the final. All three will be given a bag of lice and a razor for the expected bearded full back line. Though Gormley minus the beard is sure to figure on either Donaghy or Walsh with McMenimen detailed to make a nuisance of himself on Cooper. I'd say poor Gooch will have a bad dose of beard rash after this game.

Lots of work to do for us in the next 3 weeks but its a good place to be with many unanswered questions but glory beckons and the fabled 3-in-a-row is within touching distance. Thats the prize but its up to us to go out and win it and the minds need to be right like last year, it wont be easy but am looking forward to a cracking game with probably the 2 best teams of this decade

Am away to put my thoughts together on Tyrone.

Excellent analysis
canavan is the man canavan is the man ee aye adi ooh.......

Rois

Really enjoyed reading that KM.

Out of interest, this being your fifth final in a row and seventh this decade, are you not a bit bored?  Are Kerry folk obsessed by this match, the way a lot of us Tyronies are?  The scramble for tickets, hotel rooms, dressing up huge metal statues in jerseys, coming up with new songs, do you all go in for that down there year in, year out?

Chances are, with the team you have, you'll be here in the same position next year coming into September.  I just wonder how you maintain the enthusiasm.

ExiledGael

Excellent KM, your long-awaited arrival will stir a few of the bearded beasts.
One question though. Where do yiz get these bags of lice from?

Kerry Mike

Quoteare you not a bit bored?

No way it the excitement and build up of the whole weekend, I just love it and get a great buzz from it, yerra it keeps us going nicely during the winter.

This will be my 16 senior final attending (if I get a ticket) with Kerry involved, have seen them lose only 3 times and those 3 times I did not have a Canel end ticket, 82 was in the Hill, 02 in the Cusack, 05 in the Hogan. Its the one pisog I always have, that and the same pair of Y-fronts since 1978 !!!
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Over the Bar

Well we are both where you want to be 3rd Sunday in Sept!

Frank Casey

Quote from: ExiledGael on September 03, 2008, 10:32:00 PM
Excellent KM, your long-awaited arrival will stir a few of the bearded beasts.
One question though. Where do yiz get these bags of lice from?
Quote from: Kerry Mike on September 03, 2008, 10:36:55 PM
Quoteare you not a bit bored?

No way it the excitement and build up of the whole weekend, I just love it and get a great buzz from it, yerra it keeps us going nicely during the winter.

This will be my 16 senior final attending (if I get a ticket) with Kerry involved, have seen them lose only 3 times and those 3 times I did not have a Canel end ticket, 82 was in the Hill, 02 in the Cusack, 05 in the Hogan. Its the one pisog I always have, that and the same pair of Y-fronts since 1978 !!!

I think you have your answer ;)
KERRY 3:7

Rois

Quote from: Kerry Mike on September 03, 2008, 10:36:55 PM

Well I'm glad to hear that.

I was wondering to myself when I was at the M1 toll on Sunday evening whether Kerry fans would be beeping at each other with excitement like us idiots, despite being stuck in a traffic queue.  

Kerry Mike

QuoteAre Kerry folk obsessed by this match, the way a lot of us Tyronies are?  The scramble for tickets, hotel rooms, dressing up huge metal statues in jerseys, coming up with new songs, do you all go in for that down there year in, year out?

Obsessed yes but I think this year will be even more so , with the talk of 3-in-a-row now coming out of the shadows, while the Galvin, O'Se and O'Mahony affairs seem to have stirred a raw nerve within the county some of it over the top but passionate all the same.

The scramble for tickets will always be there and as usual there will be a flood of Kerry people from overseas making the pilgramage home that weekend, tis always a good weekend to catch up with old friends. There is also always the "Waiting for the final" brigade and they will be out in numbers this next few weeks. As for songs they have been banned since the attempt at 5-in-a-row, but there will be lots of flags out and a few green and yellow fertiliser bags nailed to telephone poles too.

AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Frank Casey

I feel that I must quote the late, and very great, John B. Keane.

"there are only two real kingdoms: the Kingdom of God and the Kingdom of Kerry",

It is written so in the Book of Yerra.
KERRY 3:7

ziggysego

Would I be right in thinking, seeing it's Tyrone, it adds a little extra spice for the Kerry ones? Even though you dont want to admit it ;)
Testing Accessibility

Kerry Mike

The 2008 Festival of Yerra will be held as follows:

The Kerry Senior Football team will have their Press night on Friday 12th September.

* 6.00pm in Fitzgerald Stadium Killarney for official Press photographers and TV cameras. There will not be interviews at this session.

* 8.30pm at The Brehon Hotel Killarney (usual format) for interviews with journalists.
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football