Tyrone v Kerry All Ireland Final 2008

Started by Seany, August 31, 2008, 08:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

I'm not bitter by the way. Yesterday, both Kerry and Tyrone showed what Armagh didn't against Wexford...an ability to react positively to the concession of a goal at a crucial stage of the game, and thats why they are both in the All Ireland Final and Armagh aren't

full back

If Armagh had beaten Wexford I feel Tyrone would have gave us a serious beating
BTW, I dont think Pat suited Tyrone's style of play yesterday. Tyrone werent able to employ their usual swarm tactics in the middle yesterday, especially when Wexford won clean catches.
He was giving free kicks as soon as someone won ball in the middle.
Done know who the referee is for the final but I feel he will have a major bearing

orangeman

Quote from: T Fearon on September 01, 2008, 11:15:21 AM
I'm not bitter by the way. Yesterday, both Kerry and Tyrone showed what Armagh didn't against Wexford...an ability to react positively to the concession of a goal at a crucial stage of the game, and thats why they are both in the All Ireland Final and Armagh aren't

I understand !  ;)

T Fearon

Thought both Ulster referees did well yesterday, and would think either would do a great job in the final.

Rois

I was sitting with the Tyrone referees yesterday so heard what they had to say.  The first ref (White) chickened out of a decision or two, think they agreed he made some wrong calls but he gave the right decision with the red.  Kerry should have had a penalty in the first half apparently.  
They didn't say much about McEnaney which has to be positive from a group of refs and assessors.  Can't criticise for him giving the frees after a clean catch in the middle - proper order in my opinion (even though it was rarely Tyrone who won the free!).

D4S

I'm a Down man and I was delighted to see Tyrone winning yesterday.  I definitely think they will win this one and I don't believe that kerry really really wanted this tie, they would have much preferred the dubs to come through that side of the draw.  Tyrone's workrate and their ability to close men down the second they get on the ball will be too much for Kerry, and I expect Tyrone to win by at least 3points.
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

Quarterback

I have to say im really looking forward to what should be a cracking game.....Heres my take on it.......

Looking at Tyrone, i think its fair to say theyve played two bad teams in recent weeks, all this talk of dublin not showing up and stuff like that.....thats buls*it...Dublin are a mediocre team.....When faced with preassure they crack....As for wexford, they did well but didnt have the legs or experience to compete with tyrone....

Kerrys last few games has been much tougher, yesterdays game against cork will have brought them on leaps and bounds....they look like a team on a mission....But they wont have faced anything like the intensity fo this tyrone team....People talk about tyrones style of play, and the secrets of it....There arent any secrets to it....Hard work has brought the team where they are...

To the final itself, i have a few worries about the tyrone team......Gourley at 2, holmes at 8 and mc cullagh at 15.....Yesterday mc cullough was fantastic, Its a tough call but is ther a place for the mecurial brian mc guigan??  I have my doubts...When you see mc culloughs array of passing, hez a class act....As for gourley, he has to go...Mossy quinn gave him the runaround and he was caught yesterday for lyngs goal...

Talk of midfield possession is irrellavant...do kerry think john devine will kick the ball down the throats of Darragh os Se..No...short kickouts will be the order fo the day....Build from the back as tryone like to do....A tatic brought in by Paddy Tally.....

Defensively id put Gormley on Young Walsh, Mc Mahon on Donaghy & Ricey On the Gooch, Jordan will pick up O sullivan, Harte will play on Sheehan and that leaves AN Other to pick up Galvin ...Personally id play D Mc Caul or PJ Quinn....

orangeman

Quote from: T Fearon on September 01, 2008, 11:43:35 AM
Thought both Ulster referees did well yesterday, and would think either would do a great job in the final.

Both were excellent especially Mc Enaney !

Canalman

Lads, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not start whining about ticket allocations. Both KY andTE will get more than enough tickets on the basis of their support to date.
Don't really like either team's style of football, a stifling style of counter attacking football with a large amount of diving and cynicism thrown in to boot.Thankfully, I will be away for the Final.
For the first time ever I don't have a preference for any team. However I would like to see Colin McCullough do well given the vitriol given to him in the past by some Tyrone "supporters".

T Fearon

I only hope that Tyrone will adopt above board tactics. It would be better for them to lose gallantly rather than reverting to puke football and winning Sam, for which they will get no credit and will tarnish the proud name of Ulster.

Also the Jeckyll and Hyde nature of Tyrone needs to be factored in. In the last 12 months they' ve lost Championship games against mediocrities like Meath and Down, struggled profusely against Mayo (who put up a much more credible challenge than either Dublin or Wexford). Kerry would not have lost to either Meath or Down and would have brushed aside the challenge of Mayo.

cavanmaniac

Tfearon and orangeman, McEnaney was grand but I thought the other lad was shocking, gave very soft frees to both sides. The Kerry lads almost tore off his limbs at one point, it was not hard to see why they were fuming but they'd benefited from some very spongy frees themselves in the first half. Sadly, 80% of contacts in football now results in a free from over zealous referees who equate a brand of puritanism on the whistle with stritcness and discipline.

As for the final, I think Tyrone's running game from deep will cause Kerry alot of problems. When Cork went at them direct yesterday, Kerry were noticeably rocking and Tyrone have game breakers in the half back line in this regard.

I'd wonder how Tyrone will fare at the back under an aerial bombardment though, it's only last year that Monaghan gave them serious trouble in this regard, if they're not prepared for it, Donaghy could make hay. Tyrone not prepared when MH is in charge is an unlikely prospect though.

Overall, I think Tyrone have been a steadily improving side all year whereas Kerry have been impressive but yet, still somehow vulnerable. Throwing away big leads hints at something uneasy in the Kingdom mix; by whatever means necessary, I can't see Tyrone ever doing likewise. It's more gut than analysis that makes me say Tyrone, but Tyrone it is for me by about two or three because I really think they'll exploit Kerry's nervousness in the full back line.

T Fearon

Er, did not Tyrone throw away big leads on a few occasions against Down?

Bensars

Quote from: T Fearon on September 01, 2008, 12:45:55 PM
I only hope that Tyrone will adopt above board tactics. It would be better for them to lose gallantly rather than reverting to puke football and winning Sam, for which they will get no credit and will tarnish the proud name of Ulster.

Also the Jeckyll and Hyde nature of Tyrone needs to be factored in. In the last 12 months they' ve lost Championship games against mediocrities like Meath and Down, struggled profusely against Mayo (who put up a much more credible challenge than either Dublin or Wexford). Kerry would not have lost to either Meath or Down and would have brushed aside the challenge of Mayo.

:D :D :D :D      It must be killing you tony.  The loathing you have for Tyrone isnt healthy. A man your age and physical condition should relax and take things easy.

man in black

Quote from: AFS link=topic=9198.msg367085#msg367085 date=122026659
Kerry undoubtedly have the better players

Do they really? 
'Till things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black