McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: Bogball XV on January 16, 2007, 02:07:23 PM
Can ye Tyronies not have dissenting opinions?  I find it hard to believe that none of ye are capable of independent thought on this subject, c'mon, at least one of you can admit that Harte has been a w**ker about this??

Of course Mickey Harte is fallible, he's made plenty of mistakes down the years. On this issue though Im not sure what the great fuss is, seems to me that a few people who dont like Harte are just using it as a stick to beat him with. The idea that he is doing it because of his ego or to get publicity is ludicrous, he just wants whats best for his team and if he feels he is being wronged he will speak out.
He's released the established players (whose capabilties he knows all about) but wants to have a look at the younger ones. With no competitive games before the new year the McKenna Cup is his only chance to do that before the league (and Tyrone have to play in front of a big crowd in a high profile match in their first league game). I very much doubt Harte has broken any rules, he isnt that stupid. Going "against the spirit" of the competition sounds more like it but ultimately Mickey Harte's job is to get the best possible Tyrone panel for the months ahead and if he as to go against the spirit of the McKenna whilst this isnt ideal if it has to be done then fine. He's hardly a lone voice either, its clear other managers around the country have grave doubts about the issue.

Star Spangler

Quote from Uladh:
QuoteYou can dress harte's intrangience up as much as you like but he certainly knew the rules and chose to ignore them.

Quote from Bogball XV:
QuoteCan ye Tyronies not have dissenting opinions?  I find it hard to believe that none of ye are capable of independent thought on this subject, c'mon, at least one of you can admit that Harte has been a w**ker about this??

Quote from Mickey Harte:
Quote"It's not a question of being awkward - it's simply a matter of doing the best I can for the county I manage."

If being intransigent or being a "w**ker" is what it takes to do what's best for Tyrone then as a "Tyronie" that's good enough for me.

realredhandfan

I think we could all take a good luck at ourselves when this all finished.  Mickey Harte dosent play friendlies, and this is good for his counites clubs, and the demands on his players,  the Mc kenna cup sets him up for the league and championship, for years he was the only one who valued it and took its seriously.  This eventually made the competition flourish and then the universities wanted a part of it.   Alas now it seems  etc it looks like you are attempting to force him and Tyrone and us the fans out of mc kenna Cup football.  in a months time as Gaelic Life would put it even the Mc kennas wouldnt be going....

Black and white

i think you are re-writing history there a bit with the Micky saved the Mc Kenna cup.  the new formate and hard work at Ulster COuncil level saved the competition, not Mickey.  Him not playing friendlies is his own concern, does that mean he realises all county players to play in all their clubs games?

Goats Do Shave

QuoteHarte has came out and said that it is the players choice, but if you were a borderline county player would you take the chance and tog out for the Poly even though reading between the lines Harte wants you on the County Panel. No contest.

Exactly - they had no choice!!!

ps he held 4 players back!

I'm sure there are 4 vary capable club players in Tyrone club football that could have been looked at. Your very own Rocky O'Neill for one Mac E.

Six Inch Nail

I wouldn't worry about any punishment for Tyrone.  A certain former Tyrone player won't be too long picking holes in the rules and getting Tyrone off scot free.  You don't need to abide by the rules when you have someone in your corner who seems to be spending alot of his time looking for technical loopholes!
Silverbridge Harps GAC, Co. Armagh

phpearse

QuoteSo Mickey would play ringers in an U-21 match -never mind the rules state that it's an U-21 Competition.

If the rules don't state that University Players are inelligible to play for their respective counties then no rule has been broken. End off!!

ONeill

It'll be interesting to see what the Council's next move will be. If they deduct Tyrone 2 points (my prediction - they'll not run the risk of being labelled as 'soft') I'd say Mickey will reiterate his position but accept it. You'll see a change to the regulations next year.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Over the Bar

QuoteI wouldn't worry about any punishment for Tyrone.  A certain former Tyrone player won't be too long picking holes in the rules and getting Tyrone off scot free.  You don't need to abide by the rules when you have someone in your corner who seems to be spending alot of his time looking for technical loopholes!

Ach shure don't we all know it.  Tyrone wid never hav wun nathin but fer lukin fer technicalities.  Our Man Fergal is at this minute lukin fer a technicality which will bring Sam to Tyrone without a ball bein kicked!

Josey Whales

Excuse me Uladh for offering an opinion but I do know  about Sigerson football and if offered achoice -i'd still pick my county. The reality is county football is the pinnacle for any player (ie it is the highest level you can play at) that is why the All Ireland inter county championship is played at the height of summer and Sigerson football is played in the mud of February.
Sigerson is a great competition in its own right- you get to play with your best friends etc and it can improve a player . BUt it is very much behind county football in terms of importance and in a county as competitive as Tyrone you might only get one chance. There iis no necessity for universities to be involved in county competitions and I haven't seen one argument to convince me that their inclusion is for the benefit of everyone.

Uladh

Josey, you are not comparing like for like. its not a straight choice between playing for uni or county. its a choice of playing for the uni inthe 6 weeks running into sigerson or for your county in what, for them, is a meaningless competition where there is nothing to be gained.

ONeill

I hear that the Council have declined to make a decision. Instead they'll hear what Tyrone have to say first.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Cloc Mor

QuoteI hear that the Council have declined to make a decision. Instead they'll hear what Tyrone have to say first.

Typical spineless shower.  The should be making a call on this rather than reacting to whatever Harte says.  Some type of punishment is due, in whatever form it may take. 

Is the Cavan/Tyrone game off at the minute?  Is there a chance that the game may not go ahead since the teams will not have received seven days notice of the game?  Just a thought.

Orior

Cavan should refuse to play and claim the points, as should Derry for last Sunday  ;D
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

corn02

Typical Spineless shower?

So what is your reasoning for this, are you fimiliar with the works of the Ulster Council.