Australia - 3 week holiday where to go ?

Started by King of Kilskerry, August 29, 2008, 04:17:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

King of Kilskerry

I am heading to Oz for 3 weeks in November with my missus. I have a few friends in Sydney that we would like to visit but the rest of the trip is an open book at the moment. Any recommendations of where to go and where not to go ? ( never been before )

The Real Laoislad

Melbourne and the Great Ocean Road...I would go back in a heartbeat if i had the chance
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on August 29, 2008, 04:19:12 PM
Melbourne and the Great Ocean Road...I would go back in a heartbeat if i had the chance

Will second that, spent part of my honeymoon in Melbourne, fantastic city, defo do the Great Ocean Road, try and do the helicopter ride over the 12 Apostales absolutely outstanding, go to St Kilda, also did the Penguin parade, was ok but their is a farm on the way to it was great, was able to get up close and personal with the Roos, Wallabys, Emus etcc  ;)
Tbc....

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on August 29, 2008, 04:31:56 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on August 29, 2008, 04:19:12 PM

Will second that, spent part of my honeymoon in Melbourne, fantastic city, defo do the Great Ocean Road, try and do the helicopter ride over the 12 Apostales absolutely outstanding, go to St Kilda, also did the Penguin parade, was ok but their is a farm on the way to it was great, was able to get up close and personal with the Roos, Wallabys, Emus etcc  ;)

Thats a good distance down though isn't? Philip Island if a remember correctly..Twas good though..
Also if you head 3 hours up from Melbourne to a place called Mansfield its at the foot of a mountain called MT.Buller it has all year round skiing at the top
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Canalman

Give Ayers Rock a big miss......a massive let down and you probably will waste alot of time getting there and back

For me the "must sees" for Oz are

1 Sydney
2 Melbourne
3 Frasers Island (a must see imo)
4 A meander up the East Coast to see FI, Barrier Reef,Brisbane etc

Should imo be enough for a  3 week trip with alot of chilling thrown in.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Canalman on August 29, 2008, 04:54:21 PM
Give Ayers Rock a big miss......a massive let down and you probably will waste alot of time getting there and back

For me the "must sees" for Oz are

1 Sydney
2 Melbourne
3 Frasers Island (a must see imo)
4 A meander up the East Coast to see FI, Barrier Reef,Brisbane etc

Should imo be enough for a  3 week trip with alot of chilling thrown in.

Go even further past Brisbane to Port Douglas...You'll never want to come home
You'll Never Walk Alone.

stpauls

heading there in October myself for the honeymoon, going to Sydney, Ayers Rock, Cairns, Brisbane and Whitsunday Islands, with a stopover in Hong Kong on the way out and Singapore on the way home!! have a load of tours organised when we are in the various cities, so can't wait for it!!

the milkman

Def. take in the Whitsundays, absolutly lethal couple of days sailing around them and then get to see whitehaven beach! prob the most relaxing few days you could ever spend!

In 3 weeks it would be hectic but i would say try to get to;

Melbourne
Sydney
Brisbane
Whitsundays
Cairns.

Loads of stuff to do at each place like great ocean road, st kilda beach, bondi, darling habour, opera house & bridge and you can a ball of things up the Coast!!!

Frick it is some spot! will def. be back!! ask around before you go to find out about good hostel's to stay in!

FermGael

Great Ocean road is fantastic and Melbourne is a great city.
On the East Coast, the WhitSundays are amazing.  Pay a bit extra to go on a smaller boat.  Its worth it.  Some of the bigger boats there are just 24 hr party boats with minimal sleeping room.  If its a honeymoon she would not be impressed!!
Frazier Island is fantastic and well worth the visit.  Very basic facilities though.

Bondi has a fantastic surf beach.  That's it. 

I would doubt if you would have time but the West Coast of Australia is fantastic.  Margaret River, Rottness Island, Perth, Exmouth(esp if the whale sharks are in, unreal) and Coral bay for a snorkel with a reef thats still in one piece. 

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Aerlik

Take yourself over to the most beautiful part of Australia, the Kimberley and the Pilbara regions.  I swear you will never see colours or lightning displays like those which occur every night from just east of Newman across the Hamersley Range to west of Paraburdoo.  Nor will you see torquoise water and pindan red soil like that in the Kimberley.  The last great wilderness in the world.  Actually get there before BHP Billiton and Rio Tinto are given permission to rape the land.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

FermGael

Quote from: Aerlik on August 29, 2008, 06:45:53 PM
Take yourself over to the most beautiful part of Australia, the Kimberley and the Pilbara regions.  I swear you will never see colours or lightning displays like those which occur every night from just east of Newman across the Hamersley Range to west of Paraburdoo.  Nor will you see torquoise water and pindan red soil like that in the Kimberley.  The last great wilderness in the world.  Actually get there before BHP Billiton and Rio Tinto are given permission to rape the land.

Seconded.  Bringing back good memories Aerlik
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Yes I Would

Also doin the honeymoon in Oz in January almost 4 weeks.

Spending first 3 nights in Melbourne, then planned to do the Ocean Road, but wasnt sure how many days or nights we should take to do this before flying onto Sydney. Was planning 2 days/ 2 nights. Is this giving us enough time??
Have hotel booked in Melmourne and was just planning to hire a care and book a hostle or two on the road.

King of Kilskerry

good stuff lads, much appreciated. Going to fly in and out of sydney. Staying in most reasonably priced hotels and hostels along the way how much money do you think I will need to have for the 3 weeks including internal flights ( if I was to say take 4 there ) 3.5k or so ??

Onion Bag

Quote from: stpauls on August 29, 2008, 05:35:53 PM
heading there in October myself for the honeymoon, going to Sydney, Ayers Rock, Cairns, Brisbane and Whitsunday Islands, with a stopover in Hong Kong on the way out and Singapore on the way home!! have a load of tours organised when we are in the various cities, so can't wait for it!!

Was in Oz at xmas past, we went out to Ayrs rock we were there for 3 days, holy f**k i was ready for getting out after an Hour, very disappointed in it,
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

Declan

Go even further past Brisbane to Port Douglas...You'll never want to come home

Seconded. Absolutely fantastic place was up there in July and the rainforest and beaches , cape tribulation etc are unreal. However November is the rainy season I think so it mightn't be as accessible as it usually is.