Marty Clarke

Started by zoyler, August 27, 2008, 03:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zoyler

Dubh Drioct - I was on the Spion Kop several times and heard it myself.  Why is it so hard to believe seeing how N I fans have conducted themselves since.  The Boing of Rangers players visiting Landsdowne Road has never been anything like the sectarian abuse dished out in Winsor Park - ever seen 'One Night in November' or read of the experiences of people at the infanous N.i. v R.oI World Cup qualifier.

Any way when did I condem Marty Clarke - I merely said I found his support for N.I. odd given his GAA background - no more no less -  and that it was entirely a matter for himself.

downgirl

So what if he supports NI??  My friend and her dad are both big NI supporters, and they are Catholic...at the end of the day does it really matter??  When you are away from home you do tend to think about it more and so that's probably another reason why he puts it on his arm.  I will be sefish and say I can't wait for him to come home so he can start playing for Down!!  :D

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: downgirl on August 30, 2008, 08:12:46 PM
When you are away from home you do tend to think about it more and so that's probably another reason why he puts it on his arm. 

I could be exiled on Saturn, and I'd still hope that that shower get the mother of all hammerings every time they play. To each his (inscrutable) own.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

5 Sams

Does it really matter a fcuk who the lad follows in the ground ball game...watched him V the Swans this week and I have been following his progress for the pies....the lad is a bona fide superstar. Unfortunatley it's not for Down but fair play to the fella...keep her lit Marty :)
The Aristocrat Years

Down Gael

Mourne Rover maybe the years have clouded the memory a bit, but there was something about the England World Cup winn mentioned at one time in Casement. Or am I imagining it???
Anyway back on topic. It seems that everyone from Down wishes the lad well. I plan to go out to Oz next year and take in a couple of games, preferably the Anzac day game against the bombers. As has been said many times before it doesnt matter who he supports. I`d still prefer him to comehome and lead Down to their sixth AI, but if thats not to be, captaining Collingwood to a premiership will have to do.

Son_of_Sam

Quote from: zoyler on August 30, 2008, 06:39:38 PM
Dubh Drioct - I was on the Spion Kop several times and heard it myself.  Why is it so hard to believe seeing how N I fans have conducted themselves since.  The Boing of Rangers players visiting Landsdowne Road has never been anything like the sectarian abuse dished out in Winsor Park - ever seen 'One Night in November' or read of the experiences of people at the infanous N.i. v R.oI World Cup qualifier.

Any way when did I condem Marty Clarke - I merely said I found his support for N.I. odd given his GAA background - no more no less -  and that it was entirely a matter for himself.

Was at a game a few years back ROI V Norway & a Norwiegan player (cannot remember his name) who played for Rangers was booed by a section behind the Southern end goal every single time he touched the game, I was disgusted. On a lighter note but a little strange, there was a lad selling hot chocolate being pumped from a pack on his back into little cups, what made it slightly funny in a wrong sort of way, was that the lad was black, I found it hard not to laugh when he went up to a group of real hotties with his hose & asked if they wanted some hot chocolate!!!

goh4205

Quote from: tyssam5 on August 28, 2008, 06:17:30 PM
Down is  a funny place.
You are right there, it is.  They all seem a bit Britafied maybe it's because the have ballykinlar on their patch.  Sure when rule 42 came up first, weren't they the only ulster county who vote to get rid of it.
Most important point is though, if it were any other player from another county, the Down so-called Gaels would be only here lashing him.

pintsofguinness

QuoteYou are right there, it is.  They all seem a bit Britafied maybe it's because the have ballykinlar on their patch.  Sure when rule 42 came up first, weren't they the only ulster county who vote to get rid of it.
Was it not rule 21 they voted to get rid of? - Only ulster county to do so?
They always did lick the brit's arse.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

gorm agus bui

Not half as much as that garrison town going for their thirteenth SFC this year. Over the years has always kept a foot firmly in both camps

pintsofguinness

Quote from: gorm agus bui on August 31, 2008, 11:51:16 AM
Not half as much as that garrison town going for their thirteenth SFC this year. Over the years has always kept a foot firmly in both camps
Hehe, you've never been have you?

goh4205

Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 31, 2008, 11:56:12 AM
Quote from: gorm agus bui on August 31, 2008, 11:51:16 AM
Hehe, you've never been have you?
Don't really know who this is directed at, since pints and I arn't from Crossmaglen.  I assume this is who you are talking about??

gorm agus bui

never judge a book by its cover

pintsofguinness

ah yes, little comments like that make you look very intelligent.   ::)

But you're probably right, it should never be assumed that so called Down "gaels" should be assumed to be nationalist.

goh4205

Main Street

Quote from: Son_of_Sam on August 31, 2008, 11:37:35 AM
Was at a game a few years back ROI V Norway & a Norwiegan player (cannot remember his name) who played for Rangers was booed by a section behind the Southern end goal every single time he touched the game, I was disgusted. O
So a home soccer crowd boos a player for an away team - shocker.

And that is supposed to have some connection with showering abuse on your own player because of his religion.

WTF has that got to do with Marty Clarke?