paddy barnes

Started by donalmac99, August 27, 2008, 10:23:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

donalmac99

sorry but when did getting completely outclassed and bitch slapped around the ring by a much superior and gifted fighter, into an embarrassing 3rd place, warrant an open top bus around parts of North Belfast. I like many cringed when i watched his performance and cringed when i listened to his pathetic after fight comments.
Is this what it has come to, 3rd place being viewed as a brilliant success?
He claims he'll be bringing the gold back home in 2012.............sorry Paddy but milk today as much as you can, this is as good as it will ever get kiddo. :'(

AZOffaly

That's very harsh. He made the team as an afterthought, by fighting his way into contention despite not being identified as a candidate for 2008. He outperformed expectations in getting to the semi final, and was beaten, well, by a very good boxer. I think his achievement deserves to be applauded, and to use his 'car crash' comments afterwards to beat him with is harsh. He was much more measured and gracious when he had time to think about it.

So for a boxer, who wasn't even viewed as a potential member of the team, to fight his way into the team to go to Beijing, to fight very well, and to win a bronze medal - yes, I think it is a fantastic achievement.

Open top buses are corny yokes anyway, but there's been more celebration for less achievement. (Think USA '94).

donalmac99

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 27, 2008, 11:42:22 AM
That's very harsh. He made the team as an afterthought, by fighting his way into contention despite not being identified as a candidate for 2008. He outperformed expectations in getting to the semi final, and was beaten, well, by a very good boxer. I think his achievement deserves to be applauded, and to use his 'car crash' comments afterwards to beat him with is harsh. He was much more measured and gracious when he had time to think about it.

So for a boxer, who wasn't even viewed as a potential member of the team, to fight his way into the team to go to Beijing, to fight very well, and to win a bronze medal - yes, I think it is a fantastic achievement.

Open top buses are corny yokes anyway, but there's been more celebration for less achievement. (Think USA '94).

sorry but the battering he took was harsh.

he outperformed?? sorry but he was never rated and a poor effort into a shared bronze shows exactly why he will NOT be bring any gold home come 2012.

yes he was destroyed by a very good boxer, something young paddy is not and probably never will be.

Ill applaud the fact that he stepped into the ring in the first place knowing the beating that was coming his way, others may call it stupidity.

fantastic achievement???  are you sure you didnt take a few to the head as well  ;) :D

im sorry but the whole episode is an embarrassment to irish sport in general.

Rewarding failures is the Englsih way of doing things.

ludermor

What a bitter post!
He was well beaten ( by the fighter that went on to win gold) and he was a bit of a dick in the post fight interview but he redeeed himself with interviews afterwards.
It is a great achivement to win a medal, any medal, in the olympics and why the f**k shouldnt he be celebrated.

AZOffaly

You're contradicting yourself..

You said -
Quotehe outperformed?? sorry but he was never rated

Which he wasn't. He was never even supposed to be in the running for Beijing. To get there itself was an achievement, and to win a medal was an even better achievement.

We won 3 medals in the olympics. Paddy Barnes won one of them. That's worth celebrating.

Are you an ex-amateur boxer yourself? Did Paddy give you a clipping or something :D

donalmac99

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 27, 2008, 11:55:58 AM
You're contradicting yourself..

You said -
Quotehe outperformed?? sorry but he was never rated

Which he wasn't. He was never even supposed to be in the running for Beijing. To get there itself was an achievement, and to win a medal was an even better achievement.

We won 3 medals in the olympics. Paddy Barnes won one of them. That's worth celebrating.

Are you an ex-amateur boxer yourself? Did Paddy give you a clipping or something :D

no, but i look like he did :D

nrico2006

He wins bronze at 20 odd and we shouldn't celebrate?  Wise up!  Olympic medals are hard to come by, and if you look at the history of the games they are even harder to come by for Irish competitors so congrats to Paddy Barnes.  I recall a certain english fighter from 4 years ago receiving alot more celebration for 'only' getting a silver! 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

donalmac99

Quote from: nrico2006 on August 27, 2008, 01:28:51 PM
He wins bronze at 20 odd and we shouldn't celebrate?  Wise up!  Olympic medals are hard to come by, and if you look at the history of the games they are even harder to come by for Irish competitors so congrats to Paddy Barnes.  I recall a certain english fighter from 4 years ago receiving alot more celebration for 'only' getting a silver! 

how did you celebrate it then? I know i didnt. I cringed with embarrassment when he was slapped around like a little belfast spide by a vastly superior and technicallly gifted fighter. If he believes he can get gold next time then he should hold off on the celebrations. He's been the biggest anti climax since seeing Britney Spears gash.

Main Street

You are embarrased  ???
Your comments are glib and lazy.
In an Irish context Paddy Barnes belongs to an elite group of Olympic medal winning boxers, a status he achieved after years and years of dedication and sacrifice.

As regards celebrating of his achievement. The boxing fraternity, his family and friends want to celebrate his achievement.
Jim McCourt won bronze at the age of 20, unlike Paddy he was definitely good enough to win gold. McCourt deeply felt he lost, nevertheless thousands of people came to the airport to welcome him home.

turk

Well done to Paddy Barnes - his achievement should be celebrated

GalwayBayBoy

Barnes lost to a double world champion and now olympic champion. Arguably the best pound for pound boxer in any of the weight divisions. No shame in that. There were plenty of boxers there that would have killed for a bronze medal.

ludermor

Quote from: donalmac99 on August 27, 2008, 02:40:13 PM
He's been the biggest anti climax since seeing Britney Spears gash.

You are obviously on a wind-up. How could he have been an anti climax if nothing was expected of him? You even said yourself

Quote from: donalmac99 on August 27, 2008, 11:51:31 AM
he outperformed?? sorry but he was never rated and a poor effort into a shared bronze shows exactly why he will NOT be bring any gold home come 2012.
Shared bronze! Does that matter? By 2012 the chinese in all probability will have retired, do you not think that Paddy will have improved a lot ( seeing that he is only 20) and will have an excellent chance for silver or gold. If he does win gold will you let him celebrate or will he still just be a spide to you?

full back

If he was a spide from the Shankhill your opinion might differ.............

Colonel Cool

Lay off the young fella. His outburst was embarrassing but get over it. He has an Oylmpic medal that he earned through hard work. That's something to be very proud of.
I'm not Homer Simpson. That ship has sailed. I'm "Colonel Cool"!

bingobus

Quote from: donalmac99 on August 27, 2008, 02:40:13 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on August 27, 2008, 01:28:51 PM

how did you celebrate it then? I know i didnt. I cringed with embarrassment when he was slapped around like a little belfast spide by a vastly superior and technicallly gifted fighter. If he believes he can get gold next time then he should hold off on the celebrations. He's been the biggest anti climax since seeing Britney Spears gash.

That stinks of Fearon if you ask me. Has he two log ins??? One of the other side to keep his own OWC arguments going if needed. Plus he hasn't shown face here since Spurs flopped on opening EPL games.

Total windup or the rantings of a bitter old fart.

Well done Paddy, more power to you and if he was typical of the "spides" round Belfast or any large Urban area then they would all be better places.